Kihei vs Wailea

fairext11

Renting a car for a day in Maui. Any suggestions which area would be better for an easy beach day, with maybe, some snorkelling, and a bite to eat?

Appreciate any info.

Mahalo!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We spent the day at Whalers Village at Kaanapali and had a great time.

Rented chairs, umbrella and got beer at the ABC store and enjoyed the day.

Hmmm...the OP asked about Kihei and Wailea, so assuming they are coming ashore at Kahalui. That makes going to Ka'anapali a different event, although the point is noted that Ka'anaplai is a good snorkeling area.

Both Kihei and Wailea are good beach areas. Snorkeling is another topic...I would probably chose Wailea, as there are more "reefy" areas there, with turtles and other wildlife. Conversely, Wailea is more expensive than Kihei by a good distance (for your bit to eat), but, as we love Wailea (and will be there in 3 weeks, for our second time this year), my vote would be Wailea.

Renting a car for a day in Maui. Any suggestions which area would be better for an easy beach day, with maybe, some snorkelling, and a bite to eat?

Appreciate any info.

Mahalo!

It appears that you're arriving on the NCL Jewel with an overnight stay in Kahului in October 2017?

There are many reasons why I prefer Wailea over Kihei which is closer to our house. We like Wailea's sandy beaches interspersed with lava points for tide pooling & snorkeling, easy parking, toilets & outdoor showers. The lava point between Ulua & Mokapu beaches can be an excellent site for snorkeling & is used daily for scuba diving instruction. Just south of Wailea are several easily accessible uncrowded nice undeveloped beaches.

Here are links showing the shoreline & an equipment rental company at the Grand Wailea in the middle of the Wailea resort area. There's a beautiful oceanfront walkway (about 1.5 miles long) that connects the beaches.

http://www.dreamvacationsmaui.com/ekolu304/images/Wailea-Beaches-Maui-1.jpg

http://waileaekahivillage.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/WaileaBeachWalkMap.jpg

http://aqualanibeach.com/Maui/grand-wailea.htm

North Kihei beaches are not great & areas like Sugar Beach are best for wind surfing & kite board sailing. The southern end beaches are better but prefer the Wailea & Makena areas more. Kihei has more casual takeout food restaurants but parking can be difficult to find.

Since Ka'anapali Beach was mentioned, it's nice but is further from the port & the road is routinely more congested. There are a series of high rise hotels situation along a long stretch of sandy beach with Black Rock at the north end (Sheraton) which is popular for snorkeling. The current around the lava point can be severe & can be dangerous including resulting in deaths.

All are good for a beach day but for many reasons I prefer Wailea.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Boy! Thanks everyone for the quick informative replies[emoji5]

Yes we are on the Jewel, docking overnight in Kahului, Oct. 11/12.

So many beautiful choices! The Mustang has been considered, too![emoji6]

Hmmm...the OP asked about Kihei and Wailea, so assuming they are coming ashore at Kahalui. That makes going to Ka'anapali a different event, although the point is noted that Ka'anaplai is a good snorkeling area.

The OP is renting a car so they can go any place they choose.

For a beach, the Kamaole Beach Parks (Kam I, II and III) are fine, but they asked about snorkeling too. Black Rock and Electric Beach, not to mention Kapalua, Napili and Honolua, are all in West Maui and much better for snorkeling, and the West has many fine beaches just for chilling too.

I also would NOT get a convertible. Showers happen quickly, the sun is more intense than you imagine and when you are on the highway you have to shout at each other to be heard.

Click on the hyperlink for info on Maui snorkeling.

The OP is renting a car so they can go any place they choose.

For a beach, the Kamaole Beach Parks (Kam I, II and III) are fine, but they asked about snorkeling too. Black Rock and Electric Beach, not to mention Kapalua, Napili and Honolua, are all in West Maui and much better for snorkeling, and the West has many fine beaches just for chilling too.

I also would NOT get a convertible. Showers happen quickly, the sun is more intense than you imagine and when you are on the highway you have to shout at each other to be heard.

Click on the hyperlink for info on Maui snorkeling.

LOL! - DH also says "ixnay" on the convertible! His bald head couldn't take it![emoji23]

Thanks for all the other great info![emoji1303]