Explorer Penthouse Suites, Specifically PHC Mid-Ships - 841

MadMarine

I've been reading some of the feedback on PH suites on the Explorer and am not encouraged. I've only been on the Navigator and that was a long while back, but like PH just fine. I understand there are concerns with the closet, but how bad is it really? Any fans out there?

We are planning a 24 day Barcelona to Southampton and thought the extra room would be nice. Moving up a category would be over my budget..... thoughts?

Thanks, Mad

JustI have not stayed in the PH suite but have toured it three times. If you don't take a lot of clothes, the closet isn't that bad. The bathroom is also okay - but not as nice as those in the Concierge Suites. PH suites on Explorer are shower-only but the shower is a good size.

Is the suite really that bad? No - but we prefer the Concierge suites. I took pictures of it but am not sure if they were any good. I'll check my thread from lat July. If there is something worthwhile to post, I will.

Just found the thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2377119&page=5. Not much on PH suites but you can compare PH closet to closets to closets in the Concierge/F1 F2 suites. I also had photos of the "H" suites which people have been looking for (I forgot that I had them).

Post #96 includes a photo of the space in front of the bed in the PH suite (rather narrow IMO). Then there is a photo of the closet in a PH suite and the larger closet in the concierge (or perhaps F1 or F2 - they are all the same).

For those interested, there is a closet shot of the "H" suite (not walk-in) and some shots of both "G" and "H" suites.

I'm not sure if the photo of the PH bathroom is correct as it looks like the Concierge bathroom. Perhaps someone who has stayed in a PH suite can let us know.

Hope that this helps a little bit.

Edited by Travelcat2

Thanks to both of you for your taking the time to respond.

TravelCat2: It looks like the D closet is longer but narrower where the PH closet is more square, and shorter thus the improved hanging space in the D.

Flossie009:

Thanks to you for your excellent observation. By the way, how do you know that the balcony is narrow and compared to what? Is there somewhere I can see the differences? Ok, I can see the difference now. The Ds have deeper decks, but the PH is slightly longer.

Mad

Edited by MadMarine

Mad,

We were in a PH B Suite (821) in March/April for 24 nights. We enjoyed the suite and found the closet more than adequate. Friends were in a Concierge Suite on an earlier cruise and we found that the hanging space and the drawer space in both suites were roughly equal. Maybe the Concierge Suite had a few more inches of hanging space. The Concierge closet has more floor space but I didn't think that fact was very important. We thought the closet needed some hooks to hang things such as belts and jackets. However, about half way through the cruise, my wife was in the closet, closed the door and discovered six hooks behind the door.

We thought the shower only bathroom was very nice. The shower was large and had a wand, a rainfall shower head, and three lower jets on the front and back walls.

By the way, we found the space between the end of the bed and the tv was not too narrow. The photographs you see of the space are misleading IMO.

There is no desk area in the suite so if you have work to do you'll have to use the dining table. However there were two plugs below the table so you can easily plug in computers, etc.

821 has one of the larger balconies which was very nice. On the Explorer all the midship suites, of all categories plus suites on Decks 12 and 14, have narrower balconies.

Hope this helps.

We were on the Explorer for the Panama Canal cruise over the holidays in penthouse suite 740. I agree with TC and others re choosing a concierge suite is a better alternative unless a butler is important to you. We found the penthouse suites very tight and confining. The closet is small -only one person at a time. They are beautifully furnished, though. Other members of our travel party were in concierge suites. If we had it to do over again, we would have chosen the concierge suites with the larger balcony.

I want to thank all of you for providing your insights. We've decided to go with a Concierge Suite D, 851. We thought we didn't need a butler and the delta in cost would just about cover our tour of South England. So thanks so much for the help.

Mad