White pants on Transpacific September cruise

sue.young

Going on the Millennium from Vancouver to Tokyo in September, would white pants be out of place (I know the rule no white after Labor Day). Have always been on Caribbean cruse and did not feel uncomfortable, just not sure about this cruise as the weather will not be tropical.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't see that itinerary going anywhere near Hawaii! Personally, I think it would be too cool for a white summer pant, if that is what you are suggesting. Average highs around 70 in Otaru Japan in Sept.

So, don't do it because it doesn't make sense climatically. Though, personally, I still have a really hard time wearing white dresses or pants outside summer or for travel. I'm messy.

In general for these type of questions, I think it's best to check weather averages where you'll be and then make decisions about the type of clothing you need to be comfortable. Some people run hot, run cold, etc.....

• 2 weeks later...

I say you should totally where what you want if it's clean, comfortable, fits and is appropriate. I have plenty of white jeans, white corduroys, white sweaters, etc. that I wear all year long. I remember having a white wool coat once way back when. You like it, you buy it, you wear it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It's perfectly OK to wear white year-round now. I have a "winter-white" dress, slacks, and sweaters.

The old rule has fallen by the way-side, and those in warmer climates never followed it. Just accessorize with darker shoes, bags, and scarfs.

I wish it were so...living in Southern Arizona, locals (not snowbirds) seem to follow the rule pretty closely. I personally think it ridiculous; wear what you want if you're comfortable, but I don't see much white after Labor Day around here. Who came up with that anyway?!?

Going on the Millennium from Vancouver to Tokyo in September, would white pants be out of place (I know the rule no white after Labor Day). Have always been on Caribbean cruse and did not feel uncomfortable, just not sure about this cruise as the weather will not be tropical.

I agree that the 'rule' about no white clothing except between Memorial Day and Labor Day has gone by the wayside. I definitely think you can do white pants, pairing them with the darker accessories and clothing items. I personally wear, and really like the look of white pants with charcoal gray, black or brown tops in the fall/wintertime.

Who came up with that anyway?!?

White clothing is expensive and gets dirty quickly. It was a cost issue - cold weather = more coal smut = dirtier clothing ;-) Also, traditionally, white clothing = light weight fabrics. That's not so much the case now, but people don't always ask about fabrics, they just say "white pants". Well, white wool OR white linen might be appropriate, but it's rare that BOTH are going to be appropriate at the same time in the same place. To me at least.

And no, I don't wear linen outside of my summer months and I can't bring myself to wear white dresses, pants or skirts outside the summer either. Which is why I do not own any white or ivory wool. It's not my style. (also not the best with my coloring ;-)