11:15am flight out of SYD

I am puzzled by your comments. On every cruise ship we have been on in the last few years, passengers have been allowed to self-disembark, that is, without staff assisting them. They go off the ship first.

I have done self disembarkation plenty of times. What I do not know is how much luggage these people propose to take and if they think they are even capable of taking it off the ship by themselves and navigate the exits in the terminal.

I will tell you what I would bet my money on now. I would bet that they will miss the flight. I am certain of it. Self disembarkation will not help them.

Agreed, there's no issue getting off early with Royal Caribbean, nor at OPT.

Perhaps 'Brisbane41' is overly risk averse.

I beg to differ. You are on a ship with over 4,000 others. How many others do you think will want to step off early if they can? The numbers are against them on this one.

I have done self disembarkation plenty of times. What I do not know is how much luggage these people propose to take and if they think they are even capable of taking it off the ship by themselves and navigate the exits in the terminal.

I will tell you what I would bet my money on now. I would bet that they will miss the flight. I am certain of it. Self disembarkation will not help them.

Brisbane21, perhaps you should re read their original post as the OP stated that they always walk off with their luggage so I would guess they won't have too much luggage to do so at the OPT.

Leigh

I feel your pain as I have a cruise in October that lands in Australia. AA only flies out of Australia once a day at 11:15 am. All the other airlines are significantly more expensive (in our situation). Our ship is scheduled to arrive 8:00 am. Ship's are typically early. But you don't want to be one of the minority. Someone on my roll call is planning to take that flight that day. The cruise ends on a Sunday, the Monday flight is $50/person cheaper. So we decided to leave Monday. I found a hotel for a little over $100 + we'll need an extra transfer (food I can get from the boat for lunch). For piece of mind, we left that this would be the best decision.

I hope this helps.

I feel your pain as I have a cruise in October that lands in Australia. AA only flies out of Australia once a day at 11:15 am. All the other airlines are significantly more expensive (in our situation). Our ship is scheduled to arrive 8:00 am. Ship's are typically early. But you don't want to be one of the minority. Someone on my roll call is planning to take that flight that day. The cruise ends on a Sunday, the Monday flight is $50/person cheaper. So we decided to leave Monday. I found a hotel for a little over $100 + we'll need an extra transfer. For piece of mind, we left that this would be the best decision.

I hope this helps.

Smarter less stressful way to end your cruise with a day in Sydney prior to your international flight home.

I feel your pain as I have a cruise in October that lands in Australia. AA only flies out of Australia once a day at 11:15 am. All the other airlines are significantly more expensive (in our situation). Our ship is scheduled to arrive 8:00 am. Ship's are typically early. But you don't want to be one of the minority. Someone on my roll call is planning to take that flight that day. The cruise ends on a Sunday, the Monday flight is $50/person cheaper. So we decided to leave Monday. I found a hotel for a little over $100 + we'll need an extra transfer (food I can get from the boat for lunch). For piece of mind, we left that this would be the best decision.

I hope this helps.

One flaw in your plan, you won't be allowed take food off the ship in Sydney, strict quarantine laws here

One flaw in your plan, you won't be allowed take food off the ship in Sydney, strict quarantine laws here

As this is the case, this cruiser might have to go and buy takeaway food. Sit down by the Sydney opera house or at circular quay and watch the boats & the cruise ship turn around day.

As this is the case, this cruiser might have to go and buy takeaway food. Sit down by the Sydney opera house or at circular quay and watch the boats & the cruise ship turn around day.

One of my favourite things to do is watch turn around day, the logistics amaze me.

Stricter than the airport? At the airport, they only cared about meat which included beef jerky.

Yep way stricter.

Fruit, vegetables, meat pretty much anything not factory sealed, they often have sniffer dogs on duty.

I beg to differ. You are on a ship with over 4,000 others. How many others do you think will want to step off early if they can? The numbers are against them on this one.

As you've even said you've self disembarked yourself, then you should have a fair idea how many will "step off early if they can".

There are just as many who want to stay late, don't want to get up early, have late connections and whatever else. Not everyone wants to get off as early as possible. And the OP is similarly familiar with that given their past experiences.

Yep way stricter.

Fruit, vegetables, meat pretty much anything not factory sealed, they often have sniffer dogs on duty.

They're the same requirements as at the airport. They also often have sniffer dogs at the airport.

They're the same requirements as at the airport. They also often have sniffer dogs at the airport.

Yep I thought they were the same, but I was responding to a list that said that at the airport they were only worried about meat.

One of my favourite things to do is watch turn around day, the logistics amaze me.

The logistics are amazing. Even watching all the trucks with forklifts unloading new supplies is interesting.Then there is the people watching. All which is a lot more enjoyable than bolting for a long flight.

There are often sniffer dogs working in the cruise passenger terminal. Earlier this year we watched as the dog sat down firmly beside one suitcase, then looked expectantly towards his handler. I would not have liked to be the owner of that case. Of course, it might have been all OK. We were running a bit late so didn't see what happened when the bag was searched.:)

There are often sniffer dogs working in the cruise passenger terminal. Earlier this year we watched as the dog sat down firmly beside one suitcase, then looked expectantly towards his handler. I would not have liked to be the owner of that case. Of course, it might have been all OK. We were running a bit late so didn't see what happened when the bag was searched.:)

I have had the sniffer dogs sit beside my hand luggage which held food previously. The first time, I thought what a cute beagle. Then, shock "oh he thinks I have food". Shows how sensitive their sense of smell is. They still get a reward!

I have had the sniffer dogs sit beside my hand luggage which held food previously. The first time, I thought what a cute beagle. Then, shock "oh he thinks I have food". Shows how sensitive their sense of smell is. They still get a reward!

Me too.

I have a mate who even tries things to see what gets a hit, rubs a banana skin on his leg, puts a grape in his bag that type of thing, hasn't got away with much.

Those dogs will sniff out a bag that had a banana in it a week prior. Luckily a quick search would show that the person was innocent of smuggling food in, but it does send a message that the dogs are very good at detection on contraband.

I would not take the risk. It is just too foolish and irresponsible for an international flight just to get a cheap fare and that is my blunt assessment of the situation. Assuming it is Ovation of the Seas you are cruising on complicates the matter as it carries a minimum of 4,180 passengers and you are just a part of many others who are going to want to get off early.

Given the current terror raids in Sydney this last month and talk of increased security at our airports when the government is advising travelers to get to the airports early makes the plan look even more foolish and irresponsible.

I personally would not take the risk. No cheap airfare is worth the stress, hassle and even thought of missing a flight because of tight running schedules.

You want to hope that your luggage makes it off the ship in time, that the ship actually docks on time and that there is not a crash on any of the roads leading to the airport leading to a major delay.

Lastly I certainly hope you are not put in the embarrassing position of begging others at the airport to let you push in and check in ahead of them, push in at immigration and push in at security. That would be rather embarrassing to have to ask other passengers to make way for you because you booked your timing too close to make the schedule.

Sent from my iPad using Forums