Adventures by Disney Announces 2018 River Cruise Sailings on Rhine and Danube

LauraS

• 5 months later...

If you want significant "on your own" time, you might look at doing a river cruise offered independently of ABD. On the other hand, the ABD schedule will have activities and experiences that you probably can't get thru the excursions offered by the other lines. The "on your own" lines typically include some food coupons and excursions so that you can choose to do one of their options and eat at one of their chosen locations at no additional cost as well as exploring the area at your leisure before you re-board the boat. In some cases you can even choose to do an overnight on your own and meet up with the ship the next day (by pre-arrangement, of course). In contrast, ABD plans most of your schedule. Their activities are great, but if they aren't what you want or if you want free time to do whatever, they might not be for you.

I have not done an ABD river cruise. I have done an "other" river cruise.

Thanks for that, I am looking for a river cruise where we can bring our young son without him being the only kid on board. I get the impression that kids aren't 'encouraged' on regular river cruises on other lines ...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for that, I am looking for a river cruise where we can bring our young son without him being the only kid on board. I get the impression that kids aren't 'encouraged' on regular river cruises on other lines ...

Ok, I sort of got the wrong idea when you said you wanted the Christmas Market time. You are right that most river cruises have few or no kids and that most excursions that are included are not particularly kid oriented. ABD arranges intentionally kid oriented activities. I'm not sure what their boats are like, but I've read that they are "family oriented." I'd take that to mean bigger cabins, at least some kid friendly meal options, etc. I didn't sense that the cruise I did was kid "unfriendly," just that there was no special accommodation for kids.

Just did a Rhine River cruise last July 8. The trip was fabulous! The AmaKristina was prestine as the ship was only 4-months old. It is entirely different from a DCL cruise. I was say that it was sort of an ABD (Adventures by Disney) land tour on a river cruise ship. That was our first river cruise and the 2nd ABD. We are platinum castaway cast members. We didn't have to pack and move from hotel to hotel every 2 to 3 days when taking a land ABD. It had all of the bells and whistles of an ABD and the pixie dust of the Disney charm.

Not cheap but highly recommended. What I do it again? I would if I could afford another one. For 2 adults and 2 children the least expensive room which had small windows on the lower deck would cost approximatley $18,000 for 7 days as opposed to a DCL inside state room of around $7000 for the same amount of days.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/rhine-river-cruise-meets-thread.3504027/

Have you ever done an ABD "add on" to a DCL cruise? These were available on the Med cruises and other special cruises. You'd book your choice of DCL cabin and then pay the add on price which included all your excursions (all special ABD excursions not available to others), a couple of special events on sea days, etc. The group was intentionally kept small. Your price for the river cruise ABD is in the same ballpark.

You can't compare a standard DCL cruise to the ABD river cruise in terms of service or price. A DCL cruise with the ABD add on is a lot more similar.

Have you ever done an ABD "add on" to a DCL cruise? These were available on the Med cruises and other special cruises. You'd book your choice of DCL cabin and then pay the add on price which included all your excursions (all special ABD excursions not available to others)' date=' a couple of special events on sea days, etc. The group was intentionally kept small. Your price for the river cruise ABD is in the same ballpark.

You can't compare a standard DCL cruise to the ABD river cruise in terms of service or price. A DCL cruise with the ABD add on is a lot more similar.[/quote']

We were hoping for one prior to our WBTA next year, but while they do have ABDs in the British Isles, the dates seem to be geared for the British Isles cruise prior to the WBTA.

We were hoping for one prior to our WBTA next year, but while they do have ABDs in the British Isles, the dates seem to be geared for the British Isles cruise prior to the WBTA.

I'd read that they have cut back and were not offering the ABD add ons for as many of the European cruises... for a while they were really pushing ABD on the Magic. They had a rep's desk near the Future Cruise desk and the ABD guides on board were often around the ship talking with other guests. Of course, that was selling both the cruise add-ons and the free standing ABD vacations. And they had the add on for many of the 10-12 night cruises.

Have you ever done an ABD "add on" to a DCL cruise? These were available on the Med cruises and other special cruises. You'd book your choice of DCL cabin and then pay the add on price which included all your excursions (all special ABD excursions not available to others)' date=' a couple of special events on sea days, etc. The group was intentionally kept small. Your price for the river cruise ABD is in the same ballpark.

You can't compare a standard DCL cruise to the ABD river cruise in terms of service or price. A DCL cruise with the ABD add on is a lot more similar.[/quote']

No we have not. I didn't feel that it was worth the price. First of all, the personal interaction between the 'group' is lost during the DCL cruise as one will dine on their own. What I enjoyed on the ABD was the personal interaction with the guests and the guides. However, in a DCL I guess one only gets to meet the others during the excursions. which are fairly similar to the ones offered through DCL. There are perks, though, such as skipping lines, being able to taker PERSONAL tours in areas that maybe off limits to the general public and others. I would either take a DCL European cruise using their own excursions or take a separate ABD.

Ok' date=' I sort of got the wrong idea when you said you wanted the Christmas Market time. You are right that most river cruises have few or no kids and that most excursions that are included are not particularly kid oriented. ABD arranges intentionally kid oriented activities.[b'] I'm not sure what their boats are like, but I've read that they are "family oriented." I'd take that to mean bigger cabins[/b], at least some kid friendly meal options, etc. I didn't sense that the cruise I did was kid "unfriendly," just that there was no special accommodation for kids.

Disney didn't build their own river vessels. It's my understanding they're using AMAWaterways vessels. If there's a real demand and this product sells crazy good I'm sure Disney would build their own. But for now ABD is dipping their toes in with someone else's vessels. ;)

Yes you are right, it is with AMA. We have always wanted to do a river cruise, but this was the only one we found that was actually geared towards families. We actually have never sailed with DCL either so have zero Disney experiences. I think the cost may still be oppressive though for 7 nights but I'm waiting for the quote.

Yes you are right, it is with AMA. We have always wanted to do a river cruise, but this was the only one we found that was actually geared towards families. We actually have never sailed with DCL either so have zero Disney experiences. I think the cost may still be oppressive though for 7 nights but I'm waiting for the quote.

Well actuallyTauck Bridges does something similar to ABD River Cruises. ABD River cruises was patterned over the Tauck Bridges. My brother took the Danube Tauck Bridges and he felt it was very similar to ABD as it is geared towards the family. Lots of children were on board.

Edited by ivrier

Disney didn't build their own river vessels. It's my understanding they're using AMAWaterways vessels. If there's a real demand and this product sells crazy good I'm sure Disney would build their own. But for now ABD is dipping their toes in with someone else's vessels. ;)

I'm well aware of this...poor wording--perhaps I should have said something like "The boats they use."

ABD doesn't "own" anything--they book using hotels, transportation, etc. that they rent from other operators.