Freedom Dining

Marronnier

On an upcoming cruise on Noordam we have opted for Freedom Dining. I understood that this meant that we would turn up at the MDR at a time of our choice (within the serving times of course) and be seated as soon as a suitable table became available. In another thread I've been reading today, however, a number of people have said that if they have Freedom Dining the first thing they do on boarding the ship is to make dinner reservations.

Could anyone explain the procedure to me and recommend the best way to dine at a time that suits us.

Thanks

Open Seating

It is from 5:15 - 9 PM.

If you want to make reservations to dine at the same time each evening you can only do so from 5:15 - 6:15 and from 7:30 - 9. You can also make reservations for 3 days at a time and request any size table you want. If you do get a table you like and/or wait staff you like, you can request them each evening.

Or you can just show up each evening at whatever time you want and request any size table.

We were on the Noordam in May and chose the Open Seating option. We were never sure what time of the evening that we'd be ready for dinner, so we never tried to pre-book a time. As it was, we generally ate between 7:30 pm and 8:00 pm. Except for the first night (which had a fairly long line), we never waited more than a couple of minutes in line and we were always seated (table for 4) immediately.

We did not try to get the same seats or the same servers each night. We actually liked sitting in different areas of the dining rooms (we were seated in both dining rooms on various nights) and we liked having different servers. There were some servers that we liked better than others, but they were all professional.

Based on our experience on the Noordam, I wouldn't worry too much about pre-booking times, tables or servers.

Open Seating

It is from 5:15 - 9 PM.

If you want to make reservations to dine at the same time each evening you can only do so from 5:15 - 6:15 and from 7:30 - 9. You can also make reservations for 3 days at a time and request any size table you want. If you do get a table you like and/or wait staff you like, you can request them each evening.

Or you can just show up each evening at whatever time you want and request any size table.

The times that are reservable seem to vary. The few times we've had open seating, all we could reserve was 5:15 or 5:30 for early times.

The times that are reservable seem to vary. The few times we've had open seating, all we could reserve was 5:15 or 5:30 for early times.
On the Amsterdam 14 day cruise in Alaska and the times we can pre book are 5, 5:15, or 5:30.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk