Would you jump ship for this?

bogofman

The thread opened for me. Just maybe due to different browsers. I would not put my child in anything if they were not fully potty trained. Heck as much as I love hot tubs, so relaxing to me, I won't get in them fully. I may put my feet in for relaxing but not the whole body. I get to many issues. But I would not jump ship for it. My child needs to learn that there are disappointments in life. I could have done so many different things with kids. As a parent you need to stretch your imagination and find other things to do. I know not everyone would agree, but that is what I would do.

My guess is that the people who walked off the ship had a lot of other complaints too, and the pool probably broke the camel's back. No doubt they probably hated the food, thought the ship's decor was dreadful, were outraged at the price of a pina colada and were appalled and offended that they couldn't get a pepper grinder delivered with their room service order (which also wasn't free).

Some people are never happy, and it runs in families.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

L Maxwell, thanks for the correction. I should have proofread this before sending. I still think we're wise to avoid any risk because of my husband's immune system, but that doesn't make it necessary for those in good health.

Margy

To me, this response is not only insane but it is reflective of a certain segment who have no accountability for anything...it is always someone else's fault. It also reflects a parenting style that seems to be premised on a theory that the world is fair.

My oldest is 19 and drives; my 13 year old would like to drive. No. I don't care if you think it's not fair. It's the rule. Get over it. At the amusement park years ago the little one would want to ride kiddie ride and the older didn't want to wait. Tough tooties.

I could care less if my 1 yo pitched a fit. He would have back in the room for a time out. The older could have gone to the pool with dad. Sometimes parenting two kids mean you split up. No way would I have gotten off the ship. We would have found other things to do.

But I will say also we waited til the baby was old enough for kids club to cruise...Mom and dad wanted to relax and we have loved cruising ever since.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just noticed in my RC Daily Planner, printed every day of a cruise, and given to all passengers:

NOTICE: NO DIAPERS. In accordance with US Public Health regulations, young children in diapers/pull-ups/swimmers may not use the pools/whirlpools, even if accompanied by a parent/guardian.

That seems pretty clear to me.

I'm sure the paper used a stock photo. They booked in the UK, so I was thinking they were on a Royal ship sailing from the UK. I'm also wondering how many of the six were included in that 5000 pounds? I'm only seeing Indy and Navigator sailing from the UK, and those are longer cruises. If they had sailed Oasis class, it would have involved airfare, too. Indy is one that has the splash zone...Was that not enough for the toddler? too many details missing...

Perhaps they were on Indy boarding May 27 and calling the next day in Le Havre? Or Navigator leaving Soton on 5/26 and in Le Havre 5/27. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

I don't disagree with royals policy forbidding children in swim diapers, but honestly I only knew about that from reading cruise critic. It truly should be much more prominanently featured when you book a cruise so people decide before they book if this is something they want to deal with.

On our last cruise, I booked economy premium seats on virgin Atlantic. They have air bags in their seat belts, so you cannot use a car seat with them. We were lucky in that people in the bulkhead switched, but when I tried to switch our seats on our return flight to economy I was told it was my fault for booking these seats without researching that a car seat can't be used and they wouldn't refund the difference in the fare. When I explained that my kid would scream and disturb people, they didn't care. Thankfully the stewards didn't notice the car seat so we were fine. I honestly had no idea I needed to research air bags in airplanes so I wish companies were more upfront about their policies before you make purchases.

• 1 month later...
RCI does not necessarily know the age of every passenger until well after final payment.

Age is not the only factor that one would have to take into account. It is really a slippery slope once the cruise line takes on the responsibility of informing each passenger of limitations that may apply to him/her. I can hear the complaints now . . . "but you didn't tell me I shouldn't put a fork into the electrical outlet".

Every time I've made a deposit I had to list passenger names and ages.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On two of our cruises the main pool, and then a hot tub, were closed for over 24 hours for cleaning, after a diapered child left a deposit.
on our previous cruise, a kid puked in a pool. We also had a norovirus outbreak. Yeah, good times.

We don't like pools on cruises, because the water is freezing. Even in April in the Caribbean. We either use hot tubs or nothing at all... Even my kid (kids are frost-proof, right?) couldn't get in the pool, because the water was unpleasantly cold.