Eurodam - Aft Cabins

Meanmum

We have never sailed in an aft cabin - is it worth it? We currently have 8164 on hold, should I jump in and book it or will there be too much noise from the pool deck above?

We also have an eye on a midship balcony, where we usually end up booking but looking for a change of scenery.

A few years ago we had an aft cabin on Eurodam on our family reunion cruise. It was wonderful! No noise to speak of......certainly none that was bothersome. Balcony was nice and large and we did have quite a few people on it a few times. To us, it was well worth the money. However, only you can decide if the larger balcony is worth it. The cabin is a standard size cabin....not larger.

We LOVE the AFT....it is our personal preference.

Watching the wake is like watching a campfire. We have seen so much from our AFT cabins...we will only book AFT, other than the Neptune Penthouse of course.:p

We are booked to do Panama re-positioning next april...and have booked 5th deck AFT this time. We had 8th floor 10 years ago, loved it. Only one issue, gentlemen above was banging his cane on the deck...he stopped immediately when our cruise mate popped upstairs.

We wanted 5th this time around to be a bit closer to the action thru the locks.

Sweetp.

We've had aft staterooms on our two most recent HAL cruises, both on deck 7. Absolutely loved that location. Sitting out on our balcony watching the wake stretch out so far behind us is almost like being on our own private yacht. For the reasons SweetP2 described, we're moving down to a aft cabin on deck 5 for our upcoming Panama Canal cruise.

Our newlyweds booked the Aft Neptune Suite - SB5186 on our Mediterranean cruise from Barcelona. It was amazing! We all loved sharing in their suite. The only time it wasn't so useful was during the day, when we were baking under the sun. The evenings were fabulous. We ordered nibbles and had drinks on their balcony often. We also had the 3 rooms on each side of them, so we had a huge wrap around deck to enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I had the aft corner on the Zuiderdam and loved it. There was a little noise of chairs being moved, as mentioned previously... and once in a while, like during sail away, people can look down from the deck above.

Neither were an issue for us and I would book the cabin again in a heartbeat (if I only could win powerball!!!!

Aft cabins - some people love them while others hate them, so its difficult to answer your question.

Pros - generally larger balcony plus great scenic views (especially good if you are doing the Panama Canal, Alaska, etc.).

Cons - if you are traveling a route that experiences rough seas, you definitely will have more "motion" in your cabin. Also, getting to almost anywhere else on the ship will require extra walking (can be an issue for some).

Being on deck 8 Eurodam you might have people looking down on your balcony from the aft pool area, plus you likely will hear some noise when the crew (and passengers) move the deck chairs and tables.

We have never sailed in an aft cabin - is it worth it? We currently have 8164 on hold, should I jump in and book it or will there be too much noise from the pool deck above?
We also love aft cabins, but would likewise suggest booking one on deck 7 if you can (but no further down) rather than deck 8.

• 5 months later...

We had no issues with Deck 8 aft cabin on the Eurodam this past week, no one was able to look down over the edge from the pool above to see us on the balcony due to the cover over the balcony. We only heard the occasional chair scraping, and no loud music or taking heard all in all a good cabin IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We really enjoyed our deck 8 aft cabin on the Westerdam last January and have another booked this November- except for one incident.

There was a VERY loud staff party one evening at the aft pool. This went on past 2AM and was an absolute disaster for anyone directly below that area. I am fairly young, enjoy my share of loud fun and games (we had just returned from the last set of BB King) and live in the burbs of NYC, so I am used to noise. This was DJ-thumping-glass-shaking-hundreds-of-feet-running noise. Probably an isolated incident, but one I do not care to repeat. We were given a free bottle of wine and a small cruise credit for our trouble.

This November we have booked deck 5. Lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have had aft cabins on multiple cruises, one on deck 4, another on deck 5, both on Vista Class ships. We actually liked the deck 4 aft cabin, because it was a Panama Canal cruise and standing at the balcony rail and looking down, all you see is water. You are at the extreme rear of the ship and there are no balconies below you as there are on higher deck cabins. Also, on Vista class ships, all aft balcony cabins (except the Neptune suites) are VB grade, but the aft balconies on deck 8 are VC grade, and I think that is because of the noise from the Lido deck aft pool above.

We have enjoyed an aft on the Westerdam with no problems and very large verandah. In March we are looking forward to another on the OOsterdam, Deck 7, VB. The aft is my preference, and I use my verandah a lot for relaxing and reading.

We have enjoyed an aft on the Westerdam with no problems and very large verandah. In March we are looking forward to another on the OOsterdam, Deck 7, VB. The aft is my preference, and I use my verandah a lot for relaxing and reading.

We're in a VB on Deck 7 in February on the oosterdam! On the stern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
We just booked an aft (VB) on deck 6 for March. I see a number of people recommend deck 5. Is deck 6 OK or is there a reason to avoid deck 6?

Some people prefer deck 5 because it is almost completely covered. Deck 6 is more open.

Looking at aft cabins on Nieuw Amsterdam for Alaska next year.

Are the balconies deeper on deck 4 like on Koningsdam? Will the views be better up higher?

And is it better to get an aft towards the middle or the sides?