New *GTs announced

moki'smommy

For those looking for discounts' date=' DCL has added several more cruises available at restricted rates. These are on the Magic and Fantasy with dates from September to December.[/quote']

I see the four under the Florida resident rate, but those have been up for a month. Is there another spot I should be looking at that I didn't know about?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I see the four under the Florida resident rate, but those have been up for a month. Is there another spot I should be looking at that I didn't know about?

For the "regular" *GT rates, you have to check each category separately. If the category page has an option saying "with restrictions" on it, then it's the *GT rates..

2q8836p.jpg

How can you find all of the cruises that have GT rates?

On the DCL site, you must check them one at a time. There are sites that list all available, but we aren't allowed to post links here.

Currently available:

Fantasy Sept 30

Magic Sept 27, Oct. 6, Oct. 28, Dec. 15, Dec 20.

Has anyone ever seen a GT Rate on a Europe cruise or Transatlantic?

Yes to both. 2016 there was a *GT on the British Isles cruise. This is the cruise that was outrageously expensive, but sold out in the first week. As time went on, many of us found that we could do the same cruise on other lines for significantly less, and canceled. A week after the penalty date, there were *GT rates that were lower than the day 1 rates. I've also seen *GTs and 20% off bookings on board for Med cruises. We had done a booking on board for the usual 10%, but were on board when the 20% went into effect--we were able to rebook at that deal.

And yes, there have been *GTs on TAs, but these were a few years ago. People seem to have learned that TAs are great cruises--they become more full each year! In fact, on one we kept checking availability and the ship was essentially empty. We decided to roll the dice and cancel our cruise prior to the penalty date. We rebooked a week later at a *GT rate and were able to go to a balcony for what I had previously booked for an inside. My friend did the same.

So yes, it can happen.

Thank you for the help. Right now we are doing the Magic for 5 days in april. We are hoping to do Alaska in 2019 and some form of a Med cruise for our 10 year Anniversary (All on Disney, haven't ruled out a TA). We are trying to keep the fares down as much as possible as i am sure everyone is.

We will definitely do a placeholder onboard.

Thank you, OP!

I did not realize that there were these discounts on these rooms.

I've been hesitant for years to book one of these cruises because they are SO much more than all the other cruises I have taken. I've had friends tell me that we must try one.

Thanks to your post, I've now booked the Disney Magic out of NYC on October 28th in a Veranda cabin for under 5k for the 4 of us including insurance and taxes; this is less than inside cabins on most dates.

While that is still higher than I usually like to pay (we recently did the MSC Yacht Club for just over 4k which included Butler service and unlimited alcohol, among other things), reading over what is included, it actually seems like a good deal;

we don't have to pay air fare (leaves from NYC), and it includes a day at Disney World including park hopper and fast passes- which we were planning to do in Florida anyhow.

Also, with all the parties and character meet and greets, I'm thinking my kids might even like it more than our last few "luxury" cruises!

With this price, it's likely cheaper than a week in Disney World, not even including the airfare saved; we went to Disneyland last year and paid over 3k just for park passes, Disneyland Hotel, and one character meal; this is for an entire week's entertainment and food for not too much more.

Thanks again, op, and I look forward to posting our review.

Thank you, OP!

I did not realize that there were these discounts on these rooms.

I've been hesitant for years to book one of these cruises because they are SO much more than all the other cruises I have taken. I've had friends tell me that we must try one.

Thanks to your post, I've now booked the Disney Magic out of NYC on October 28th in a Veranda cabin for under 5k for the 4 of us including insurance and taxes; this is less than inside cabins on most dates.

While that is still higher than I usually like to pay (we recently did the MSC Yacht Club for just over 4k which included Butler service and unlimited alcohol, among other things), reading over what is included, it actually seems like a good deal;

we don't have to pay air fare (leaves from NYC), and it includes a day at Disney World including park hopper and fast passes- which we were planning to do in Florida anyhow.

Also, with all the parties and character meet and greets, I'm thinking my kids might even like it more than our last few "luxury" cruises!

With this price, it's likely cheaper than a week in Disney World, not even including the airfare saved; we went to Disneyland last year and paid over 3k just for park passes, Disneyland Hotel, and one character meal; this is for an entire week's entertainment and food for not too much more.

Thanks again, op, and I look forward to posting our review.

You're never going to want to cruise another line after being on DCL. Have a total blast!

Jacksonx, you are most welcome. Enjoy the cruise! Good to see that you bought insurance, whether thru DCL or privately as I'm sure you examined the restrictions on these cruises (no changes, no cancelations, etc). If all goes well, the restrictions are no problem, but if an illness or other issue comes up, the insurance is critical.

Have fun!

For the "regular" *GT rates, you have to check each category separately. If the category page has an option saying "with restrictions" on it, then it's the *GT rates..

2q8836p.jpg

Hi, I've only been on one DCL cruise with my second booked this December. Can you tell me what a GT rate is? Thank you

Mary

Hi, I've only been on one DCL cruise with my second booked this December. Can you tell me what a GT rate is? Thank you

Mary

On those cruises that DCL deems as "not selling well", usually after the Paid In Full date, they may offer last-minute discounted rates. These are called *GT rates. There are several restrictions on these:

You must pay in full for the cruise.

There are not changes to the reservation allowed.

You can only select a type of room (Interior/Oceanview/Verandah) & DCL will assign you a room at a later date in the type you selected (or better).

These bookings are for new reservations only.

As above, a *GT is a reduced rate that is marketed as VGT (for verandah), OGT (for oceanview), or IGT (for inside). Rarely the rates are announced prior to the penalty period (like there is at least one December rate available now), but mostly they are announced shortly after the beginning of the penalty period. There is a long list of "restrictions" which you should read, but the basics are that you choose the type of room (verandah, inside, oceanview) but not the cabin. You can't change cabins if you don't like what is assigned. They will move you if there is a physical problem with your cabin that they can't promptly repair, but not because you don't like the location. You must pay in full at the time you make the reservation and cannot change names, add or remove guests, etc. The rate is for new bookings only. I strongly recommend you do insurance as you will lose 100% of your fare should you need to cancel for any reason (not the usual percentage which varies with the time to embarkation)

They may appear on line for a day for for a couple months--the number of cabins at these rates is limited and they will disappear when the cabins are filled. I've also seen them reappear at a different rate! DCL will manipulate them however they think will best fill the ship. Bottom line, if you see something you want, grab it. An individual cannot put a hold on these cabins (no 24 hour courtesy holds) but a TA can hold it for 3 days in order to have time to contact their client.