New England, Canada Cruise in October

Lijobes

I have been on quite a few Caribbean cruises, but I just don't know what to pack for our next cruise in October. I know my bathing suit and cover up aren't going to do it for shore excursions. What do people wear on cold weather cruises? Both on and off the ship. Where do people hang out on the ship? Are there activities by the pool? Help.

Thanks, Lisa

October in New England can be fickle. Layers are your best bet with a waterproof hooded jacket. . It can be 80 & 30 (during the same day). Likely is 50-60 but wind & rain are likely at least one of the days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We went the middle of September on a New England/Canada cruise a couple of years ago. I am very hot natured and my husband is the exact opposite! We packed capris for me and long pants for him. We also carried waterproof lightweight jacket and layered underneath it. He was fine with long sleeves and light jacket and I usually ended up wearing a light jacket, but shedding it by noon. Check the weather at all ports of call ten days out and you can pretty much tell what you need to take. We were a little chilly on deck-so we did not use swimsuits. Usually this cruise is port heavy-so we did not hang out much on the ship except to sleep. Our New England/ Canada cruise was one of my favorite cruises and a big difference from the Caribbean ones. Not many children running around and seemed to be an older or middle-aged group of cruiser. Never had a problem with pool lounger hogs or pushing and shoving at the buffet.

I went two years ago. It was rather breezy on deck. I never saw anyone in the pool but there were some in the hot tubs. We needed light jackets most days. It was warm enough for me to wear sandals every day except the one day with lots of rain. I have a raincoat with a zip out fleece lining. I never had to use the lining.

• 2 weeks later...

We have done this cruise twice, both times in September. One year my photos show me in shirt, sweater and down jacket every day. The next time, the most I needed was a long-sleeve jersey. That said, the weather was, in fact, fabulous every day, mostly sunny. One of my favorite cruise regions.

Did this cruise a few years ago and we had rain several days, and VERY cold weather 1 or 2 days. I'm talking long johns under jeans, turtllenect, sweater jacket, mittens and STILL cold during an outdoor excursion. We heard that 2 days later that same town had record setting high temperatures.

I did a New England cruise last year.......where does the time go?:eek:.......daytime, jeans/pants, long sleevea........it did not

get so cold that I needed longjohns..... of course weather can vary:)

I do remember it rained a bit too. I would suggest layering. Evenings.....same as I wear on other cruises....nice slacks

and tops.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also sailing New England in October. What about evenings on the ship? I'm used to sleeveless dresses.

Will the temperature around the ship be set cooler than a normal Caribbean cruise?

It's still hot here in Texas so the thought of wearing my sweater dress at night sounds wrong.

I'm also sailing New England in October. What about evenings on the ship? I'm used to sleeveless dresses.

Will the temperature around the ship be set cooler than a normal Caribbean cruise?

It's still hot here in Texas so the thought of wearing my sweater dress at night sounds wrong.

I packed as I normally would......if you want to wear sleeveless, I would suggest bringing some type of cardigan/

sweater, shawl, or something in that genre. I live in Florida and sailed to New England last October......it was definitely

cool during the day outside........but on board the ship, it felt comfortable to me. I don't own any sweater dresses so it would

never be part of my wardrobe on a cruise.