Corkscrew Wine bottle opener

HvySeezFcstr

Would I be able to brink a corkscrew wine bottle opener aboard or would the steward have access to an opener? What hours are the stewards available?

You would have less of a chance for a problem if the corkscrew did not have a knife.

If you're flying it'll have to go in your checked luggage.

With my brain in neutral I tossed a corkscrew into my hand luggage - and that was the end of that one :rolleyes:

JB :)

I made the same mistake with my favorite -a QM2 corkscrew won at trivia - in my shaving kit in my carry-on.

I now travel with one in checked luggage, but after the above loss (February this year) our HAL cabin steward provided a pretty good one.

You would have less of a chance for a problem if the corkscrew did not have a knife.

Checked out the corkscrew that I thought would have no problem, but now after a closer inspection I see that it does have a 1 1/2 inch knife. So I will be looking for a plain corkscrew. tx

I have a corkscrew with a foil cutter (knife) that I took on a Holland America cruise a couple of weeks ago. Check the forbidden items list for your cruise line - it should permit knives of a certain (small/short) size, and a foil cutter is probably less than that size. In the case of HAL, a knife under 2 1/2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide is permitted.

I have a corkscrew with a foil cutter (knife) that I took on a Holland America cruise a couple of weeks ago. Check the forbidden items list for your cruise line - it should permit knives of a certain (small/short) size, and a foil cutter is probably less than that size. In the case of HAL, a knife under 2 1/2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide is permitted.

Good advice.

Keith

Check out this type of cork screews.

It's called a waiters friend and any good bottle shop or restaurant supply shop should have something like this.

It has a foil cutter (not a knife) and is very safe. I have carried on board airplanes, both for work and as passenger. Not even the paranoid folks at JFK security raised an eyebrow...

http://www.drinkstuff.com/products/product.asp?ID=7158

HAL Westerdam April 12, 2018 17 days RT SEA

Anyone know what the Stewards hours are?

the cabin stewards service the cabins twice a day. during breakfast hours and then again during dinner hours or a little later. you can contact them at any time however for emergencies. if you just have routine things, leave a note in the cabin.

any bar tender can provide you with glasses and an el cheapo corkscrew. usually the same travel ones that you find for $1.79 at the liquor store or the wine tasting room.

On the Regal in July, room service told me they couldn't leave the corkscrew with me. I didn't think to ask the steward. So I'd bring my own next time. I now have a souvenir corkscrew from Oslo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

the cabin stewards service the cabins twice a day. during breakfast hours and then again during dinner hours or a little later. you can contact them at any time however for emergencies. if you just have routine things, leave a note in the cabin.

any bar tender can provide you with glasses and an el cheapo corkscrew. usually the same travel ones that you find for $1.79 at the liquor store or the wine tasting room.

Thanks for the hours of the stewards and the info on glasses from a bar tender!

Geez must be either old and/or expensive - most of the wine bottles nowadays have Stelvin closures.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 by fair means or foul

I disagree, I buy a couple of bottles for my dad a week, and I have to search out screw tops, because he can't use a corkscrew.

If you're flying it'll have to go in your checked luggage.

With my brain in neutral I tossed a corkscrew into my hand luggage - and that was the end of that one :rolleyes:

According to the TSA website, a corkscrew without a knife is allowed for carry on but as with everything there is always the exception that the TSA agent may consider it a dangerous weapon. Screwdrivers and crochet needles up to 7" in length are allowed.

According to the TSA website, a corkscrew without a knife is allowed for carry on but as with everything there is always the exception that the TSA agent may consider it a dangerous weapon. Screwdrivers and crochet needles up to 7" in length are allowed.

Hi Jake,

Mine was a much-loved old "waiter's friend" :loudcry:

It had a little knife for cutting the foil.

From then on I've avoided carrying any form of corkscrew in my carry-on - TSA only has jurisdiction in the US and I don't know the attitudes elsewhere in the world.

Ahhh that explains it - downunder pretty much all wine is now bottled with screw tops.

I hope they do not take off here - some are not sufficiently perforated to permit easy twist off and others are so loose that you have to seize the lower half to get the top half to break off; then, one opened, it is hard to close them up tightly enough to store a half full bottle on its side.

Besides, I like to support the Portuguese oak industry.

Hi Jake,

Mine was a much-loved old "waiter's friend" :loudcry:

It had a little knife for cutting the foil.

From then on I've avoided carrying any form of corkscrew in my carry-on - TSA only has jurisdiction in the US and I don't know the attitudes elsewhere in the world.

Correct about TSA. I have had a P38 keychain can opener confiscated because of the tiny cutting blade but my 2 1/2" scissors for a bandage change was okay. Unfortunately TSA because of pressure from a NY senator withdrew a proposal to follow the more relaxed and reasonable EU rules to allow a Vic Classic.

Ahhh that explains it - downunder pretty much all wine is now bottled with screw tops.

Spent 7 months in Australia twice and found Aussie Wines to be the best in the world. The Aussie Wines I buy here in the US mostly are corked.