Sea Sickness medicine plan: advice?

Riptidedylan

Hi all!

Long time lurker, first time poster. So I'm taking my first cruise or "crossing" as it were, on the Queen Mary 2 in a few weeks from NYC to Southampton. I picked a time that I read usually has decent weather (if there's no hurricanes), and I am staying directly in the middle of the ship, in the interior middle, on the 5th deck (tried to be at the middle of all 3 dimensions). I get motion sickness pretty easily these days and I am pretty nervous about being sick for 7 days--I wanted to cross instead of fly because of my fear of flying.

From this forum and other research I have devised the following plan:

Bonine 25mg each night starting 2 nights before the cruise

Ginger capsules and candied ginger during the day

optional wrist bands and I also bought the electric pulse wrist band thing some people have luck with

In addition I have bought the neck electric pulse thing to try if all else fails, and I am bringing a few small aromatherapy oil inhalers sealed in plastic bags with chamomile, ginger, and a few other scents I read can help stop nausea. In addition, I have xanax for my doctor for panic in case part of this is mentally exacerbated. I am also prepared to get a sea sickness shot (promithazine on the QM2) or even pay the 150$ (OUCH) for acupunture on board if necessary.

I have also heard if you feel nausea to move to other parts of the ship, or even sit in the pool--and I plan to spend the first day outside on the lowest outer deck to acclimatize. I will also try to go to the gym each day to help my body get used to the motion more quickly.

Does anyone have any additional advice? I understand the QM2 has 4 stabilizers and is one of the most stable rides in the world, but I'm paranoid as I have read a few people say that rough seas on the QM2 was like a roller-coaster or hurler ride, and that scares me a lot!

I really appreciate anyone that can offer some words of wisdom to a paranoid newbie! I have to get to England to do research for my PhD in history and while I'd like to enjoy my crossing --I really just want to get there, so I am less concerned about sleeping through the vacation as some are--still, I don't like feeling drugged out and that's why im going with the bonine over dramamine. Also I will eat green apples and no fatty foods and drink only water no alcohol or caffeine during this voyage.

Thanks!

Dylan

Hi Dylan, I think you are very prepared for the cruise.

We took the QM2 three years ago on a crossing. Overall it did do well when the sea swells increases.

One day we were actually at a cruise critic meet and mingle party and shortly after the get together started we felt a lot of motion but that was because we were all the way forward and on a high deck.

So yes it's a good idea if the seas start to bother you to find a location mid deck and on a lower deck. Personally I find that if I go to a large public room that is mid ship and on a lower deck and even has high ceilings that really helps.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Keith

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Wow! You have really prepared. I hope you do not have to use all those things. Think positive! I have had some cruises where I couldn't even feel the movement of the ship.

One other suggestion is to look at the horizon. Since it is the only thing not moving it is supposed to help your equilibrium.

I found that crackers and acidic drink (lemonade) worked for me.

Best I have found is the TransDerm Scop patches. They are prescription only. And you should not use them for a long period of time without a break. Up around 8 - 10 days, some people have had some hallucinations and other issues.

To be honest, you are probably going to make things worse if you obsess over the idea of getting seasick as much as you are. Take a reasonable dose of dramamine and try to keep your mind occupied with fun activities—that will help you a lot more.

To be honest, you are probably going to make things worse if you obsess over the idea of getting seasick as much as you are. Take a reasonable dose of dramamine and try to keep your mind occupied with fun activities—that will help you a lot more.

Think about this - attitude does play a part. Fresh air helps - as does a distant horizon - being on an open deck as opposed to a small enclosed compartment works.

Candied crystallized ginger really does seem to settle the stomach - as do green apples.

• 1 month later...

As someone who suffers horrible motion sickness I can empathize. Your plan sounds very good. I did the patch and it helped me but the side effects were rough.

This time I took the ginger capsules every night before I went to bed, I took the bonine ever 24 hours, I used the wrist bands and I found Motion Eaze on Amazon to go behind the ears.

I have worked in clinical research for over 20 years and recently finished a research-intensive Master's program. So like you I researched everything I could about being prepared for motion sickness. I think you've got it covered. Happy and smooth sailing to you!

You are wise to be so prepared. You might need it all. I do half a Bonine every morning and the other half as I need it, if I need it, 1/4 at the time. And I bring Gin Gin candies. The electric wrist bands shocked the foo foo out of my wrists. Next cruise I’ll bring regular seabands just in case. I get really seasick in the dining room. It’s nearly always on one end of the ship or another, and at night I can’t look out at the horizon. So I take 1/4 Bonine and it gets better fast.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think you are overly worried. If, and I emphasize IF you get queasy...head to the medical center...they will give you something to relieve it. No worries!

Good advice. Don't wait until it gets serious and ruins your cruise. Nothing is gained by waiting.

If I were you, I would handle seasickness with your plan. If it doesn’t work, or if your cruise is being ruined despite your attempts, then call the medical center. I’ve cruised with seasickness, controlled, for 20 years. I have never gone to the very expensive ship doctor. I would if I needed to, however. It’s an option.

I found that crackers and acidic drink (lemonade) worked for me.

Best I have found is the TransDerm Scop patches. They are prescription only. And you should not use them for a long period of time without a break. Up around 8 - 10 days, some people have had some hallucinations and other issues.

Just a heads-up on the trans -derm scope patch. It can cause very dilated pupils and very dry mouth and throat in some people. I did not like it at all. Bonine( generic is meclazine) works the best for me. Good luck. Hopefully, you won't need much of anything, but it is always good to be prepared. :D

... in the interior middle...

This is your only research flaw - being able to see the horizon is the number one way to avoid feeling nauseated due to motion sickness. Thus, even while sleeping, it's better to be in a cabin with a window - unless you are drugged to oblivion or one of those folks who sleeps like the dead - as whenever you awake you can just stare outside for a short time to 'reset' yourself (it's the disconnect between our senses that is the root cause of motion sickness).

It's those moments when you awake, see your cabin stationary around you, but your inner ears tell you that you're moving that the heaves kick in... this is why we can't sail in an Inside cabin, as my better half is another poor soul who's quite sensitive to motion sickness and also a bad sleeper with lots of waking periods during the night. In theory wearing a sleep mask, or simply keeping your eyes shut, should also avoid the disconnect - but it's hard to do that when if are getting dressed, watching TV, reading a book or any of the many other things you might choose to do inside your cabin where your eyes come in handy!

Edited by martincath
double spacing...

Ginger and lemon hot tea helps me with stomach problems. I think I am going to take a few packets with me next time.

They had that on the Fjord Tour in Seward AK. I drank lemon ginger tea to wash down Bonine and I still was too seasick to enjoy the whale that was giving a show right beside the boat. Ginger does help me some and I use it at the Disney parks to go on rides because I can’t drive with Bonine.