U.S. Issues new Trael Wanring to avoid unnecessary travel to Mexico.

sail7seas

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html

I wonder about Cozumel but until there are changes, I would avoid a cruise that stops there. The world is such a mess, we have to evaluate so many places as to risk. So much more than I ever remember in near past. Of the locations in Mexico mentioned in the above link, I did not see Cozumel mentioned but could have missed it.

C anada also has a statement regarding the situation: https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/mexico

Edited by sail7seas

I'm curious how this will impact our upcoming Holiday cruise on the Amsterdam. We've already had one port changed awhile back. At least one of our current stops is listed. Perhaps staying on the ship will be a good choice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, Cozumel is noted on the advisory also.

Crazy For Cats....we are on with you and probably will not go ashore either. HAL does seem to go with these advisories and I wouldn't be surprised it we don't have yet more itinerary changes. Not much in the way of choices for alternates though....

Linda R.

Yes, Cozumel is noted on the advisory also.

Crazy For Cats....we are on with you and probably will not go ashore either. HAL does seem to go with these advisories and I wouldn't be surprised it we don't have yet more itinerary changes. Not much in the way of choices for alternates though....

Linda R.

I'm sure the date is set for when we go through the canal. If not I wouldn't mind going through earlier and stopping somewhere in the Caribbean.

I would not hesitate to spend a time in Puerto Vallarta. There is a lot of CYA in these notices.

Me too, my favourite Mexico destination. In fact I feel safer in many places in Mexico than in parts of the U.S. And my kids just got back from travelling in Europe, and I was much more worried about them there than when they go to Mexico.

I agree! But, it would cost a ton of $$ (most likely) to change our day thru the Canal.

I'm sure the date is set for when we go through the canal. If not I wouldn't mind going through earlier and stopping somewhere in the Caribbean.

We usually stay on the ship. I figure if something bad happens, the thugs have a really long gangplank, and the crew should be able to pull anchor before they get to our ship. Or at least pull the gangplank and close the door.

I wonder how fast a ship can pull an anchor and get away if need be.

The advisory for Cozumel and that area is generalized without specific restrictions:

Quintana Roo (includes Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, and Tulum): U.S. citizens should be aware that according to Government of Mexico statistics, the state of Quintana Roo experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured or killed, have occurred.

I would not hesitate to spend a time in Puerto Vallarta. There is a lot of CYA in these notices.

As far as I know PVR is not on the list. Yes we will be there again this winter, and with us many canadians and american snowbirds, they and we also stay there since many winters. Never had any problems.

As far as I know PVR is not on the list. Yes we will be there again this winter, and with us many canadians and american snowbirds, they and we also stay there since many winters. Never had any problems.

This is the advisory for Puerto Vallarta; doesn't say much about PV specifically:

Jalisco (includes Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, and Lake Chapala): U.S. citizens should defer non-essential travel to areas that border the states of Michoacán and Zacatecas because of continued instability. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from personal travel to areas of Jalisco that border Zacatecas, intercity travel after hours, and from using Highway 80 between Cocula and La Huerta. U.S. government personnel are authorized to use Federal toll road 15D for travel to Mexico City; however, they may not stop in the town of La Barca or Ocotlan for any reason.

The advisory for Cozumel and that area is generalized without specific restrictions:

Quintana Roo (includes Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, and Tulum): U.S. citizens should be aware that according to Government of Mexico statistics, the state of Quintana Roo experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured or killed, have occurred.

Canada has also had comments about unnecessary travel to Mexico. I'm not sure it is only U.S. citizens who should take care.

We just spent a weekend in Kansas City for a wedding...there was even a travel advisory for that!http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article165307012.html

You just have to be aware of your surroundings and be street smart, no matter where you are going.

Me too, my favourite Mexico destination. In fact I feel safer in many places in Mexico than in parts of the U.S. And my kids just got back from travelling in Europe, and I was much more worried about them there than when they go to Mexico.

100% I have traveled all over Mexico,both towing a trailer and building a house.Few places I don't really need to go back to (Tijuana) , but I feel the same way about Chicago, Washington DC and Naples.

Most of the Americans that get in trouble down there are at a cash machine at 2 am. I wouldn't do that in Phoenix.

My suggestion is if you hear gun fire stay on the ship. If not stay in the tourist areas. I stay on the ship in Los Cabos, not because it is unsafe, but because it is a tourist trap with no culture..

Cozumel, I have spent three winters there diving. Only a couple of good days there. Sunday and Monday because there are only a couple of cruise ships there. Seen as many as 13. Prices double. Very little crime there because the bad guys can't get off the island in a hurry. Spectacular diving !

I believe that the only reason that the cities are included is that the listings are by state. Most people do not know what "state" Puerto Vallarta is in.

We usually stay on the ship. I figure if something bad happens, the thugs have a really long gangplank, and the crew should be able to pull anchor before they get to our ship. Or at least pull the gangplank and close the door.

I wonder how fast a ship can pull an anchor and get away if need be.

Plenty of time to get away. In most if not all Mex cruise ports, the bad guys will have to go through armed Mex naval sentries and patrol boat stationed at the pier before they can get to the ship. This is especially so in Puerto Vallarta where Mex navy has a large naval base right next to the cruise pier.

We love Playa Del Carmen and would have no hesitation about visiting there. However, our first visit we were told to stay on the tourist side of the highway linking north and south. Second time round we ignored that advice to visit friends with a home on that side and we didn't die once.

BTW, with respect to Barcelona or anyplace else we visit from now on, we're determined to now only walk on the side of the street facing oncoming traffic. That way we have a better chance of seeing something leaving the road and coming up onto the sidewalk before it happens. I figure it'll better our odds if nothing else.

I'm also pretty determined to start carrying a tactical umbrella or walking cane when we travel. I would probably prefer something potentially more lethal if it were legal to do so (sword cane or flip-out/extending baton) but you know...

Gosh! Seems now these travel warnings are even including Cozumel! :(

Sadly ,I'm not sure being street smart would have helped the people in Barcelona . They were innocents enjoying strolling/shoppping on a pretty afternoon.

I agree. I think many people who believe that being street smart will help them naively believe that they will have time to respond to the threat. This is rarely the case. I remember watching the video of the shooter in the Fort Lauderdale Airport who simply started shooting into the crowd. He didn't scream, didn't shout - didn't do anything other than shoot.

About 5 years ago we went ashore in Cozumel. We have always been hesitant about traveling to Mexico and we were told by many people that Cozumel was safe. We were shopping and exploring for about 25 minutes when several very aggressive shop keepers tried to stand between my wife and I and were clearly trying to separate us. We quickly turned away, crossed the street and grabbed a cab back to the ship. We haven't been to Mexico since and have no plans in the near future.

With all the violence and terrorism in the world today, I wonder if it could ever happen that those with bad intent could rush a gangway, daash past security and be loose on a ship docked in port? Is that feasible? Am I sufferiing too vivid an imagination? I'mn ot knowledgeable about criminal attacks but I have an awful image of determined trained people being able to do something like that? I've not noticed lots of uniformed security near the ships when in most ports. Sure some but they seem rather relaxed and not attentive.

Edited by sail7seas

The same warning could be posted about a some areas, during some late night/early morning hours, in a few cities in North America that we have visited. LA, Miami to name just two.

Many people avoid visiting those areas.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.