Resurrection Bay - which company?

gaenzebluemchen

Hi,

since we get very easy seasick we thought we might take the shorter tour in the bay. Now I´ve read that most of You think there is not much to see or whatever we would see would be the same as we will see on the ship...

Has someone been on these short tours in the bay and can tell us about it? Which company is the best to take: Kenaj Fjord, Renown oder Major Marine?

Or can anybody tell us how much the ship will be moving (rolling) on the longer trip? We will be in Seward on the 28th May.

Thanks

Ulrike :o

I have not yet been to Alaska, but we have booked a tour with Alaska Saltwater tours because they came highly recommended (especially for those who experience sea sickness). They are a small family owned company and the owner was very helpful when we called him.

Their website is http://www.alaskawhalewatchingtours.com. The website is not as informative as some of the others, so I suggest you also call 907·224·5271.

Good luck!

I don't recommend the Resurrection Bay tours for the reasons you listed above. The problem with sea sickness and the longer tours is the stretch of water after leaving Res Bay and before entering Aialik or Northwestern Fjords. There's a section open to the open ocean that takes less than an hour to traverse. I've been through there most times when the water is dead calm and you could take a kayak through there. On the other hand, when the wind comes up you can get 8-15 foot seas. Obviously, in heavy seas, they will cancel or shorten the cruise. In moderate seas, they just plough through it. If you are prone to sea sickness, you could have problems here. Best is to inquire prior to the cruise what the seas will be like and take a Bonine before you leave.

I have not yet been to Alaska, but we have booked a tour with Alaska Saltwater tours because they came highly recommended (especially for those who experience sea sickness). They are a small family owned company and the owner was very helpful when we called him.

Their website is http://www.alaskawhalewatchingtours.com. The website is not as informative as some of the others, so I suggest you also call 907·224·5271.

Good luck!

This company I think does get good reviews but there is no way such a small ship will handle rough seas better than larger ones, in fact it would probably be worse.

Hi,

since we get very easy seasick we thought we might take the shorter tour in the bay. Now I´ve read that most of You think there is not much to see or whatever we would see would be the same as we will see on the ship...

Has someone been on these short tours in the bay and can tell us about it? Which company is the best to take: Kenaj Fjord, Renown oder Major Marine?

Or can anybody tell us how much the ship will be moving (rolling) on the longer trip? We will be in Seward on the 28th May.

Thanks

Ulrike :o

If you are prone to sea-sickness, I would recommend Exit Glacier rather than Resurrection Bay. You will get to see Resurrection Bay from the deck of your cruise ship, as you enter and leave Seward. You can take a bus to Exit Glacier ($10 round-trip) and get a free Park Ranger tour.

In addition to Exit Glacier, you could go to the SeaLife Center (about a mile from the cruise ship dock).

If you want to take a boat trip but are concerned with motion sickness, why not consider one of the four hour trips run out of Whittier? The area is much more protected and the four hour trip goes to protected Blackstone Bay with its many glaciers.

Check out http://www.princewilliamsound.com or http://www.majormarine.com for more information.

Hi,

Resurrection Bay out of Seward can be very choppy. At times, tours - especially fishing charters, have been cancelled. My advice, is the Prince William Sound 26 glacier cruise out of Whittier, which is near Exit Glacier.

If you find that you can't make Prince William Sound, then look for a tour in Seward that has multi-level decks, and is heated below deck, preferrably a catamaran style too. I've been on Major Marines and enjoyed their trips. Your tour is still on with rain and fog, so keep warm. :)

QUOTE]

Sorry, but you are totally wrong. The smaller the boat the MORE motion, not "less". And they have one of the smallest, slowest boats.

The ONLY way, to "avoid" seasickness, is to TAKE PRECAUTIONS.

What you don't realize is ALL of those who have gone on the Kenai Fjords park tours, HAVE sailed the bay. It is nothing special and nothing I would ever waste my time on, comparing it to what you can get with the farther distance.

The above recommendations are excellent. Spend your time more wisely and skip a bay cruise, PWS is very worthwhile, as well as hiking Exit glacier.

It has been so interesting to me to follow this thread. I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

Skip the Kenai Fjords tour that starts in Resurrection Bay and take the PWS instead.

Thanks for pointing this out. It was my intent to see PWS but I let the tour operator talk me into KF. He said it was better for seeing wildlife..... Not to mention - a smaller boat sounded good until you mentioned choppy water. There are so many choices that it can be confusing.

I was planning on doing both before our June 19 cruise on Millenium.... A few people have told me definitely do the 8 hour boat tour to Kenai Fjords National Park. But my son also wants to do PWS after a special we saw on Discovery. I was under the impression I had more chance to see Orcas and other wildlife in Kenai Fjords ....

It has been so interesting to me to follow this thread. I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

Skip the Kenai Fjords tour that starts in Resurrection Bay and take the PWS instead.

Thanks for pointing this out. It was my intent to see PWS but I let the tour operator talk me into KF. He said it was better for seeing wildlife..... Not to mention - a smaller boat sounded good until you mentioned choppy water. There are so many choices that it can be confusing.

Kenai Fjords is one of the best tours available. However, you need to take Bonine for sea-sickness, as the water can get very choppy.

Maybe it's just a matter of wording, but when I think "Resurrection Bay tour", I think tours coming OUT of Resurrection Bay--not tours just of Resurrection Bay and nothing else. I went on a number of tours coming out of Resurrection Bay, and really liked them all. But then again, I liked the choppy seas and the kayaking + hiking.

The Kenai Fjords tours to Aialik and Northwestern are both fantastic tours. But, as mentioned above, you have to cross a stretch of open water to get to the fjords. It can often be choppy in here and people prone to seasickness may have a problem.

The PWS tours are also excellent, Because these are protected waters, there is virtually no chance of seasickness.

However, I wouldn't make a huge effort to do PWS if I was in Seward and vice versa for Whittier.

The Resurrection Bay cruise never leaves the protection of the bay, but you see the same thing on the longer tours and as you come/go on the cruise ship.

Maybe it's just a matter of wording, but when I think "Resurrection Bay tour", I think tours coming OUT of Resurrection Bay--not tours just of Resurrection Bay and nothing else. I went on a number of tours coming out of Resurrection Bay, and really liked them all. But then again, I liked the choppy seas and the kayaking + hiking.

Sorry, wrong, there certainly are just "bay" tours available. It's all about TIME, descriptions and taking a look at route maps.

No, ALL boat tours, have to transit the bay, they all start in Seward, which is a dead end. It is all about distance, routes, and time. Never consider any boat tours less than 6 hours, bottom line. Read description, look at route maps, should then be clear.

Do not expect any wildlife on Prince William Sound boat tours, In Kenai fjords, it's ALL about the wildlife and plenty of variety.

And I am certainly NOT stating to skip Kenai Fjords, they both are top, excellent tour choices.

I was planning on doing both before our June 19 cruise on Millenium.... A few people have told me definitely do the 8 hour boat tour to Kenai Fjords National Park. But my son also wants to do PWS after a special we saw on Discovery. I was under the impression I had more chance to see Orcas and other wildlife in Kenai Fjords ....

Do NOT expect orcas on this trip. You "may" see them, but overall, rare. Kenai Fjords is ALL about varied wildlife. Don't expect any on Prince William sound boat tours.

Budget Queen - we will have one full day in Seward. Would it be feasible to rent a car for the day? And what would you recommend for us to see to make full use of our day? We considered the fjords tour but since there is so much to see we are now contemplating renting a car instead. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Do NOT expect orcas on this trip. You "may" see them, but overall, rare. Kenai Fjords is ALL about varied wildlife. Don't expect any on Prince William sound boat tours.

Don't expect any orcas, but there are tons of sea otters on the PWS tours, as well as harbor seals. They haul out on the ice, and you will often get quite close to them. Eagles are also common, and the boat goes by a kittiwake colony on the way back. However, whales and puffins are not seen usually in PWS.

Kenai Fjords is one of the best tours available. However, you need to take Bonine for sea-sickness, as the water can get very choppy.

Don't rely on just Bonine. I had been taking Bonine daily for over a week when we went on the Northwestern Fjords Tour and I still became queasy. However, I also had with me some ginger root capsules. They did the trick. I had to take them several times, but they immediately settled down my stomach each time and I was able to fully enjoy the trip. Just get your doctor's approval, no matter what you choose to try. I still am wondering if the Bonine helped me or not, as I still became queasy.

I had only been motion sick one time in my life, and that was on a ferry crossing Lake Michigan. I have traveled other boats, trains, cars, planes, etc, and NEVER had a hint of motion sickness. I was totally caught off guard that day, and it was ugly. So, when I read about the great potential for motion sickness on this tour, I did take my precautions and was so glad I did. Many were sick on our trip and I was actually able to enjoy the rocking, rolling and bouncing of the boat. It was like an amusement park ride. My DH chose to use the patch for this trip. Even he became a bit queasy and took one dose of the ginger root, which also helped him. I needed several doses for the trip.

Okay, we will definitely book the Kenja Fjords (long one); I'll talk to DH and DS about PWS. DS is 10-1/2, and not the most patient child, so long trips are a concern, but since he (actually all of us) loves all things ocean related (wants to be marine biologist), we'll do the Fjords.

Here's our plan, maybe we should re-think? Fly into Anchorage Sunday 6/14 @ 3ish, spend night there. Monday drive to Denali, stay that night, do the Tundra Wilderness on Tuesday, stay the night, drive back Wed; we were going to drive to Whittier, do PWS Thurs., then go to Seward, but maybe instead, we take train to Seward on Thurs., stay local, do Kenja Fords 6-8 hour on Friday, then get to ship.... Does that sound okay?

Budget Queen - we will have one full day in Seward. Would it be feasible to rent a car for the day? And what would you recommend for us to see to make full use of our day? We considered the fjords tour but since there is so much to see we are now contemplating renting a car instead. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Yes you can rent a car, are you on a B2B??? You do not need a car for Seward. With a full day, you could drive the Arm, Allow 3 hours one way with scenic stops, more time- include Portage Glacier Visitor Center, Wildlife Conservatory??

You need to read up and find out what you want to do with your day?? I am also assuming you are doing the B2B?? IF not then how are you getting there and how are you leaving?? May offer different options. http://www.seward.com

Okay, we will definitely book the Kenja Fjords (long one); I'll talk to DH and DS about PWS. DS is 10-1/2, and not the most patient child, so long trips are a concern, but since he (actually all of us) loves all things ocean related (wants to be marine biologist), we'll do the Fjords.

Here's our plan, maybe we should re-think? Fly into Anchorage Sunday 6/14 @ 3ish, spend night there. Monday drive to Denali, stay that night, do the Tundra Wilderness on Tuesday, stay the night, drive back Wed; we were going to drive to Whittier, do PWS Thurs., then go to Seward, but maybe instead, we take train to Seward on Thurs., stay local, do Kenja Fords 6-8 hour on Friday, then get to ship.... Does that sound okay?

Not sure why you are considering the TWT??? Since you have your own transportation, I recommend you look at the CHEAP, shuttle bus to Eielson, with your son FREE, and the adults- about $45pp.

Your above plan is a good one. Keep fine tuning it, before you lock into reservations. As an alternative, you could include both boat tours. Upon your return to Anchorage, rent a one way Hertz car. Then pick up the PWS boat tour, continue to Seward for the overnight.

Although, more costly, with 3, it probably isn't significantly more, and even if it is?? This offers you more. Then you could consider a coupon book purchase for 2 for 1 on the both boat tours.

Yes, budget queen, we are on a B2B cruise so will only have one full day to take in as much as possible in Seward. Was planning on the fjords but then thought maybe do the town/outskirts instead. What do you suggest? Been to Alaska twice before but never as far as Seward which is why we booked the B2B.

Archived