kettle on the balmoral

hammerbees

All the cabins on Fred's ships have kettles; with tea bags, coffee and small containers of milk.

No biscuits though, like some cruise lines have. (Not that any extra food is really needed).

We are considering booking Balmoral cruise next year and wonder about the outside cabins....prefer not to pay the big difference for a balcony but the largest outside cabins seem to all have obstructed views?

Also any notion of how many formal nights an 11 night cruise would include? Do most men wear tuxedo?

Thanks for insight as we feel we are taking a bit of a chance on a cruise line we are have not been before.

QUOTE=hammerbees;49442553]Could someone advise whether there are kettles on the Balmoral. We are saling to France over Easter and wish to know if I can take my own, if not.

thank you

golfercarol

I think there may be 3 formal nights on an 11 night cruise, but as we have only done 7 or 14 night cruises I can't tell you for sure.

Yes, most men do wear tuxedos, but if your hubby doesn't have one B you can buy them cheap in Matalan or M and S sometimes have them reduced at this time of year..

Yes, there are kettles in the cabins, but OH takes his own tea bags and I take coffee bags as I don't like instant coffee.

We are considering booking Balmoral cruise next year and wonder about the outside cabins....prefer not to pay the big difference for a balcony but the largest outside cabins seem to all have obstructed views?

Also any notion of how many formal nights an 11 night cruise would include? Do most men wear tuxedo?

Thanks for insight as we feel we are taking a bit of a chance on a cruise line we are have not been before.

QUOTE=hammerbees;49442553]Could someone advise whether there are kettles on the Balmoral. We are saling to France over Easter and wish to know if I can take my own, if not.

thank you

We were on a 13 night cruise last year & had 3 formal nights & a British Night. We are on a 9 night cruise this year where we will have 2 formals & 1 British so I guess 11 maybe 2 or 3 formals!

Yes, most men are in Dinner Jackets but some are also in formal suit & tie.

thank you

Most outside cabins have picture windows with unobstructed views. I have recently sailed on decks 4 and 6 and felt this was really excellent . Kettles are in all cabins on Fred. Olsen ships. Most men wear dinner suits on formal nights but a dark suit is quite acceptable. Hope this helps.

Quite a few people on our cruise wore red, white, blue clothes. Some also added Union Jack bow ties; Union Jack silk scarves; red, white, blue earrings, flower lei, etc. Plenty to choose from well known on-line shops. On Boudicca small Union flags were handed out at the show lounge.

You dress up as something archetypically British, e.g.

soccer hooligan

the Queen

John Bull

wearing a shellsuit

sandals and socks

No, that would be very misleading, although admittedly quite funny if someone actually did that :)

The guideline is anything red,white,blue and even then not many people actually make a special effort.

The evening entertainment and the dinner menu follow a strong 'British' theme but that is all, no fancy dress required.

When we were on the Balmoral in August, I would say that 70-80% of the passengers made an effort on British night - lots dressed up in red, white, blue or a combination of and some people really went to town - we had a great night & the ship was really well decorated with the same theme!

thank you

Parsman is spot on with his reply to this.

It is true the larger outside cabins are mainly obstructed view, but lower down the ship is fine. The proviso I would add to that is that the cabins to the rear of the ship can suffer from noise and vibration very badly, so I would suggest steering clear of the back quarter of the ship regards that. We now tend to prefer the front half of Fred's ships, but still try to get as near to the centre as poss in case the sea is rough. I would not travel in the front quarter of the ship if we can avoid it, as there will obviously be a lot of movement in rough seas.

Again as Parsman said, most men will wear a dinner suit for formals, but a lounge suit is quite acceptable if you do not have one. Some people who really do not like formals eat in the self service on formal nights as casual clothes are always acceptable there.

I would expect three formals on an 11 night cruise, but have noticed over the last year that there seem to be less formals than there have been in the past, especially on longer cruises we have been on.

Edited by tring