Embarkation question

mondas42

Hi

This is not hopefully a controversial embarkation question, but simply a fact finding question. How does P&O assign embarkation times to their customers. I know that the guys who have cruised many times and guys in suites get first dibs, but are the rest of us randomly assigned a slot or is there a system? Just curious.

Martin

Martin, there is a system.....

The suites and the higher priority tiers - ie those who have sailed many times - get the earlier times.

After this, the times are allocated according to deck and position on deck, with the coaches being slotted in between, but no one really knows just how the deck order is worked out.

Some think that they start right at the top, then flip to the bottom deck and then work upwards and are trying to work out the pattern, but no one really knows any more...

Edited by Scriv

There have been suggestions of a deck by deck system running alongside the suites etc. system. There are also people on official buses slotted in and disabled cruisers with assisted boarding who may board out of the standard sequence.

Regards John

Times are allotted according to deck, but not in deck order, also not the same deck across all ships. P&O have a table/spreadsheet for each ship which shows deck and time per ship. Quite simple really but therefore not easy to second guess what time you will get!

I asked the same thing of P&O as i am unhappy with my 3.30pm time. They advised that it is by deck allocation. As I am on A deck that must mean they start from the bottom!

Because of distance, traffic etc we always travel the day before so there is a lot of hanging around on embarkation day for us. I have cruised twice this year with this system and its been chaos in the terminals each time.

I booked my cruise a year ago, paying much more than the last minute and saver prices yet I will be one of the last onboard. I think that's unfair.

Incidentally my reply from P&O also stated that they think most passengers are very happy with this system, so if you are not perhaps it would be a good idea to let P&O know. they do seem to respond promptly to tweets and FB posts

Ess x

I asked the same thing of P&O as i am unhappy with my 3.30pm time. They advised that it is by deck allocation. As I am on A deck that must mean they start from the bottom!

Because of distance, traffic etc we always travel the day before so there is a lot of hanging around on embarkation day for us. I have cruised twice this year with this system and its been chaos in the terminals each time.

I booked my cruise a year ago, paying much more than the last minute and saver prices yet I will be one of the last onboard. I think that's unfair.

Incidentally my reply from P&O also stated that they think most passengers are very happy with this system, so if you are not perhaps it would be a good idea to let P&O know. they do seem to respond promptly to tweets and FB posts

Ess x

A while ago someone posted a list that they had received from P&O of the times at which the decks for their cruise would be boarded, it was not in deck order. We have cruised twice with the new system, both times on deck C on Ventura and had 3:30 boarding for both. Will now look forward to getting our time for A deck on Oceana in December.

A while ago someone posted a list that they had received from P&O of the times at which the decks for their cruise would be boarded, it was not in deck order. We have cruised twice with the new system, both times on deck C on Ventura and had 3:30 boarding for both. Will now look forward to getting our time for A deck on Oceana in December.

Quite so it is not in deck ORDER, but all cabins on one deck have the same time (excluding suites etc)

Quite so it is not in deck ORDER, but all cabins on one deck have the same time (excluding suites etc)

Yes the order they take passengers is not ABCDEF or FEDCBA it could be ADBCFE OR EBADEC or any other combination. Who knows.

However you tend not to hear from those with 13.30. Only those with 15.30.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have just booked Britannia to he fjords on May 9th I am on a deck and have been given a time of 3:30 and my mom and dad are on b deck and they can get on at 13:30 so being in the Caribbean club no longer guarantees an early embarkation [emoji35]

We are Mediterranean tier and have had differing times, between 1300 and 1430. Doesn't seem to matter what deck. We are usually on C deck on Oriana or D deck.

Surely as long as you get on board it doesn't matter?

Edited by jeanlyon

I agree as long as you are on the ship that's all that matters it just seems to be cutting it fine for people getting on after 3:00 o'clock they wouldn't get to have lunch on the ship and get settled before departure, rccl seem to have the right idea [emoji3]

Surely as long as you get on board it doesn't matter?

Here we go again. Of course it matters. It's an inconvenience to get a late boarding time with extra stress re arrival times, killing time in Southampton and missing a lunch you have paid for and losing time to explore the ship. It's definitely not a benefit so why keep supporting P&Os silly boarding system when other lines easily manage it! It clearly doesn't matter to you but surely you might see it matters to some others? Surely?

If you could hit a button that said either, 1) free boarding for all from noon or 2) restricted allocated boarding based on P&Os whim which would you think would be the most customer focused option? Option 1 existed a few years back and never seemed to cause any problem.

Edited by kevinyork

Caribbean tier passengers can board at 1 pm and not the time on their ticket.
sorry - used wrong quote and dont seem to be able to change it! Should have been Humpy's reference to Caribbean members boarding time

From P &O's "help and advice"

(Why does no one ever use this......)

What about my Peninsular Club and suite benefits?

If you are a suite guest or a Ligurian Tier guest, you will still enjoy your early embarkation benefit and will be allocated the first possible Arrival Time of 12.30pm. You will also still have the use of an exclusive hospitality area within the cruise terminal, serving complimentary refreshments and snacks.

In addition, we're delighted to tell you that from now on, all Baltic and Caribbean Tier guests will be given an early Arrival Time of 1pm. You may find that there is a different time on your e-ticket, but we're working to correct that by early 2016. In the meantime, Baltic and Caribbean Tier guests are welcome to arrive at the cruise terminal from 1pm, regardless of the time on your e-ticket, and we will check you in straight away.

There will still be a priority queue for our suite, Ligurian, Baltic and Caribbean guests, but we will operate this slightly differently. Instead of dedicated desks, there will be a Priority Lane to ensure you proceed to the next available desk quicker.

Due to the slightly later embarkation times, we are pleased to introduce a new and improved Welcome On Board Reception in place of the existing embarkation lounge. The reception will run from 1.30pm to 3.30pm, serving a selection of complimentary alcoholic and soft drinks, and canapés.

Edited by Mysticalmother

Well we managed to get to 17 posts this time before the moaners & groaners started again :rolleyes: Will someone please tell me the more important question WHO has the best pillow chocs ???:D

Chocolate is chocolate, however on our last cruise on P&O they were all milk chocolate in the same coloured wrappers, at least Celebrity have various flavours and different wrappers............just saying.

PS I'm still with Kevin and yes Ess001 I did let P&O know I did not like their new boarding system on both the onboard and post cruise questionnaires, but maybe they count all those not complaining as being in favour.:eek:

Here we go again. Of course it matters. It's an inconvenience to get a late boarding time with extra stress re arrival times, killing time in Southampton and missing a lunch you have paid for and losing time to explore the ship. It's definitely not a benefit so why keep supporting P&Os silly boarding system when other lines easily manage it! It clearly doesn't matter to you but surely you might see it matters to some others? Surely?

If you could hit a button that said either, 1) free boarding for all from noon or 2) restricted allocated boarding based on P&Os whim which would you think would be the most customer focused option? Option 1 existed a few years back and never seemed to cause any problem.

Totally agree re your statement and late boarding. As for button choices, can we change option 1 to be more in line with RCI and Celebrity and start boarding for all from approximately 10:30? :D

Chocolate is chocolate.
As RCI no longer provide pillow chocolates in all cabins, perhaps that's why they can start boarding as soon as the ship is cleared of previous guests at around 10:30:D So perhaps we should ask, what would you rather have, earlier check in and subsequent boarding times, or a pillow chocolate later in the evening?

Btw originally got 14:30 check in time for our balcony cabin on B deck, OK, not great but not too bad. Got 'upgraded' to a same balcony cabin on 'A' deck, check in time now 15:00, not great at all.

As I've said before, 2 night sailing, P&O should be going all out to impress and encourage me to book more cruises with this line. At the moment not convinced.

I couldn't care less when I embark as long as I make it before it sails! I've had a 3.30pm and a 1.30pm. It made no difference, I still had a bite to eat in the buffet. I just drive to Southampton at a time to suit the embarkation.

I agree as long as you are on the ship that's all that matters it just seems to be cutting it fine for people getting on after 3:00 o'clock they wouldn't get to have lunch on the ship and get settled before departure, rccl seem to have the right idea [emoji3]

But they can have lunch Off the ship, yes? Still can't understand the fuss about having lunch at embark day. I hate the buffet on embark day - it's absolute carnage.