Britannia Xmas cruise with 15/12 year olds

tctraveller

Hesitating about booking this. Main reasons are will the kids like it. The 12 year old will be two weeks off 13 so wont be able to go in teen club with his big sister. His big sister wont go without him! We like comedians but the kids wont be allowed in the live lounge! Other than them going to the clubs, it doesnt actually seem like there will be much for them on sea days. And are we going to end up them watching tv in the cabin while we enjoy the entertainment they arent allowed to watch?! The days on land will be great and would look forward to showing them the islands. Anyone taken similar age children on the caribbean Britannia cruises? How did your kids find it? Thankyou!

Oh I'd be interested in the responses to this thread as I'm on Britannia later this year with my 15 year old too, he will go into teens club so that's not an issue, but he loves comedians and would like to be able to go and see them when on. I hadn't realised that he wouldn't be allowed in to watch! I thought kids were just not allowed in limelight club, where else are they not allowed in then???

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/Child_restrictions

It seems the Live Lounge is over 18 only. Shame as though I'm looking at a cruise in 18 months time, my kids already have better manners and act better than most adults! We enjoy spending time together on holiday so it's making me a bit wary that there are no go zones for them. They are paying the same as us after all, so not sure I want them to feel like they aren't welcome everywhere.

Hopefully someone will reply and make us feel better!

During our Christmas cruise on Britannia there was plenty of family entertainment (son 15, daughter 20) - a comedian who did an early evening show in one of the lounges which was suitable for families. IMHO he wasn't very good, he was clearly much more used to doing more adult material and struggled with a family audience. He did a later show which was adult only, didn't see it, so can't comment.

Comedian/ventriloquist in the theatre who was hilarious (I laughed so much my stomach hurt). He was the runner up to Susan Boyle on BGT. Beatles tribute act (in a lounge) was OK, magician (in theatre) was OK.

Actually our son spent very little time with us in the evenings, he was too busy with his friends from the club.

In the evenings, if there aren't many children at the club (because of people dining at different times and doing things as a family), they merge the up to 17 age group and the age group immediately below it, making sure the activity (talent contest, quiz, competition) is appropriate for all ages, so your children could end up being together.

Thanks groove chick, it sounds like there will be plenty they can do, and reading on Facebook, it seems like children do go in the live lounge whether allowed or not. Did you find that? I'm sure if they are happily sat watching the entertainment and not small children they will be ok. Just need to decide on cabins next!

Thanks groove chick, it sounds like there will be plenty they can do, and reading on Facebook, it seems like children do go in the live lounge whether allowed or not. Did you find that? I'm sure if they are happily sat watching the entertainment and not small children they will be ok. Just need to decide on cabins next!

On the two occasions we were there (comedian and Beatles tribute) there were young children there too, but no-one seemed to bother. I wasn't aware of the age restrictions. If they'd stuck strictly to the rules my son shouldn't have been there, although he looks more like 18 than 15. Daughter was more likely to get thrown out, as she's 20 but looks more like 14/15 - has to carry ID everywhere!

I'm going on my first P&O (Britannia) cruise soon so can't offer any personal experience yet, but will say we chose it because they seem to cater for young children very well. However if my children were teens I would definitely choose Royal Caribbean. I think they are the best cruise line for that age group as there is so much for you to do as a family. However, I am guessing that the appeal of P&O in the Caribbean is not having to travel through the US.

Yes, the ventriloquist is Gareth Oliver, we saw him on Ventura last October and yes everyone laughed so much, and it was suitable for all - we are still repeating some of his lines now, unfortunately from the looks of his gig guide on his web-site that he is mostly doing RCI this summer. Shame hopefully P&O have got some good acts lined up!

• 3 months later...

Well after umming and ahhing for ages, I didn't book the Britannia. Too many niggles with the cabin type, and the feeling that at 12 and 15 the children weren't really kids but officially weren't allowed in some adults areas. So I'm currently waiting for the Tui Discovery to come in sale for these dates. Pluses being itinerary is far better, visits smaller islands like Bequia, Guadeloupe etc, children would both be eligle for teen club if they wanted to go. Has got climbing wall & mini golf, and movies under the stars, and will be all inclusive. Mixed reviews so far from this summer but hoping things will have settle by next year! Just hoping it comes on sale soon as I've been sorting this out since March when P&O came out! So am I making a big mistake - ?!?!

No idea if you're making a mistake (hope not!) but in my experience the kids LOVE the kids' clubs, even if they say they won't beforehand. I think there are very few areas they couldn't go in (it has certainly never come up as an issue for us) and it's likely they would want to be in club a lot of nights anyway. Some nights we were desperate to go to bed but had to go and drag them out of club!

Having said that, I'm sure you'll love the cruise you're about to book, the ports look fabulous.

Hi - just wanted to say that as your 12 year old is only 2 weeks off 13. The kids club may let them go in to the older club. I have seen that happen as long as there is room and the childs age is very close as it is in this case.

Just a thought

Sue

Hi - just wanted to say that as your 12 year old is only 2 weeks off 13. The kids club may let them go in to the older club. I have seen that happen as long as there is room and the childs age is very close as it is in this case.

Just a thought

Sue

Unfortunately not very likely in my experience Sue, and almost certainly not on a family cruise during school holidays. We were in a similar situation a couple of cruises ago - it was a couple of weeks off son's birthday which would have put him in the 13-17 rather than 9-12 kids club and we asked if he could move up, because of the numbers they said no. In the end it wasn't a problem and he had a great time, but they seem to be enforcing the age groups more rigidly than they have in the past.

We came off Britannia in August and our son is 15, we didn't realise he wasn't allowed in live lounge and he went in several times with us and never had anything said to him! We also went to the limelight club with him, we didn't book this at first as we thought he wasn't allowed, but they came round taking bookings and said he was okay to go. He never went to kids club but was never bored! It was an amazing experience and we have booked another cruise for next year!!!