Vegans

akmday10

Just booked a cruise on the Queen Victoria from the 12th December and am very excited.

I am however concerned about how they cater to vegans. I have been a vegetarian for 5 years, and Cunard has always catered well, or I think so anyways. However I know some establishments do struggle with this diet, and was just wondering if anyone has experienced the Vegan menu? I have contacted Cunard about this as well, just thought I would ask.

My husband is vegan and they do fairly well. You'll have a choice. You'll get the next day's menu the evening before. In some cases they can alter vegetarian dishes to remove dairy. There's also a separate vegan menu. The only real challenge on a longer cruise is variety, so he tries first to work with the regular menu to make adjustments and uses the separate vegan menu as a last resort so he doesn't get tired of the 5 or 6 mains.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Forums mobile app

I travelled with a friend recently ( on QM2) who is also a Vegan and I can confirm she was extremely well looked after. These question re 'special diets' on the Cunard fleet come up very often on these cruise forums. Occasionally, some folk will fret about this before they have even boarded the ship. No need too, Cunard have been in this industry for over 176 years catering to all sorts of special meal requests. Just need to work along with your table 'station Head waiter', plan ahead and give the kitchen time to prepare, as requests on the first evening of embarkation may be a bit of a hassle or struggle .

Thank you all, sounds like Cunard are good with catering to all. I know how well they are catering to vegetarians, so thought it would be the same for Vegans.

Does anyone know if the bread rolls that go around the tables are vegan?

Celebrity Cruises has a real grass lawn. Vegans paradise!

On our QV cruise in July, there was A LOT ( some might say TOO MUCH) vegetarian food. Not necessarily Vegan, but definitely vegetarian.

On evening there were 5 veg appetizers and soups plus 2 veg main courses.

Clearly carrots and lentils are cheaper than chicken or fish...

If I were a vegan, I'd be concerned with whether the vegan dishes were actually kept segregated from non-vegan dishes (whether a flat-top grill was cleaned after a non-vegan dish was cooked on it and before a vegan dish was cooked on it, for example), particularly given some stories I've read on this forum about the kitchen being notified of a gluten intolerance and the individual rejecting the supposedly gluten-free food they were served.

Does anyone know if the bread rolls that go around the tables are vegan?

I doubt it.

Gluten intolerance is a medical issue; being vegan is usually a question of morals/ethics. To quote from the Vegan Society "Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose". Not many vegans will feel their principles are being compromised if their food happens to come into contact with non-vegan food. It won't be contaminated and somebody else is responsible for the exploitation and cruelty behind the non-vegan food.

Yes that is right Teddy123, as much as you try, you have to understand that some things are out of your control. As long as I feel that I am trying my hardest to be Vegan, and to make sure when I am out that this is catered to, you cannot trust that it will not be contaminated, so far, I think all is going OK, however if something does become contaminated, then it is not my fault.

Regarding the bread rolls, I will be ringing Cunard to make them aware that I am Vegan tomorrow, and will ask if the rolls are suitable, as most bread is.

Underwatr, I have never heard this or any vegans refer to this? As far as I am aware, most breads are vegan/vegetarian

Freshly-baked bread is frequently vegan. Shelf-stable bread frequently contains non-vegan additives. My SIL and her family are vegan and I once spent a delightful Saturday night scouring the local grocery store for a loaf of shelf-stable bread that was 100% vegan.

Underwatr, I have never heard this or any vegans refer to this? As far as I am aware, most breads are vegan/vegetarian

It IS true! No matter HOW much you try, some insect or other items get cooked up in the food. It's impossible to prevent. So, I guess you either cope, or pay to see your therapist.

It IS true! No matter HOW much you try, some insect or other items get cooked up in the food. It's impossible to prevent. So, I guess you either cope, or pay to see your therapist.

I think this happens anyways, you cannot control everything, but if I know that I have tried my hardest, then thats all that matters to me. And I've never said I can't cope thank you very much, or that I need to see a therapist :D