Why isn't Carnival on either of these Conde Nast lists?

sloopsailor

How Does the Poll Work?

Condé Nast Traveler readers rated 479 cruise ships on a 100-point scale. only ships that received a required minimum number of responses from the 28,876 participating readers were eligible to be included in these rankings. Each ship was rated on seven criteria: Activities/Facilities, Cabins, Crew/Service, Design/Layout, Food/Dining, Itineraries/Schedule, Shore Excursions.

http://www.cntraveler.com/cruises/Polls/2012/top-100-cruise-ships-in-the-world

Where did the lists originate?

http://www.cntraveler.com/cruises/Polls/2012/top-100-cruise-ships-in-the-world

While we are saddened by the recent tragedy of the Costa Concordia, we remain committed to our readers who love to cruise—as well as to new travelers who are uncertain about the idea of an at-sea excursion. That’s why we’re proud to share our annual survey of the world’s best ships, rated and reviewed by the world’s most discerning cruisers—our readers.

You’ll notice that Costa is not among the list below, and that is for two reasons: it didn’t receive enough votes for a valid score, and the votes it did receive were as low as any major cruise line. Of the nearly 24,000 votes in our poll, only 75 were for Costa ships, and the average score for the cruise line was 54.6. Only five people voted for the Costa Concordia, and they gave it a score of 28.6—the lowest in the Costa fleet.

Edited to add, just noticed on the same linked page on these last two posts, the polled numbers are 4000 votes apart.... Where did they go?

It's possible that Carnival isn't on this list either by design or an oversight. While surveys like this may be of interest to some people, they really don't mean much, especially to veteran cruisers. Ratings like these tend to be arbitrary at best, and, except for first time cruisers, probably won't have much of an impact on which cruise line repeat cruisers will select in the future.

28,876 participating readers

I think if you took a poll of Carnival cruisers to find those who actually read the magazine and participated in the poll, the number of those who answered in the affirmative would be significantly insignificant.

Porthole magazine have given Carnival several readers choice awards.

http://private.porthole.com/porthole1/rca-2011.htm

BTW, how bad are the other cruise line websites that Carnival won a readers choice award for theirs????

Conde Nast Traveler's reader demographics don't exactly match Carnival's demographics. The average Conde Nast reader's annual income is $163,750 and are people looking for luxury vacations.

Carnival is not exactly a luxury cruise line. Carnival offers a great product at a great value, but it isn't as upscale as the lines that made the list. Also, in other publications, Carnival has taken a hit because the passenger/space ratio is generally lower than the other lines.

I wouldn't read anything into it. Let the Conde Nast readers stick with Cunard, Crystal, and Seabourn.

cdamion, I would agree with what you stated. The demographics for Conde Nast readers is considerably different than the average cruise customers, as most of the articles are for the high end or luxury vacations. NCL didn't make their list either so it is not just Carnival left out. I get a lot of travel magazines and each one has their favorites. I have seen others that rank the Carnival fun Ships high and heaven forbid I actually saw one that had the NCL Epic as the best large ship in their poll. Its all relative, sail with the line you like and enjoy and not worry about the polls. I have been on most of the mass market lines and have not had a bad cruise on any of them.

Costa, NCL and CCL are lowcost cruises.

Lets not make this something its not.

Some cc'ers have been saying what the magazine has been saying.

CCL has let themselves slip to a tie for the bottom of the barrel for a budget cruise.

Way to go carnival, you made it next to the bottom.

Next is all the way to the bottom.

15 years ago, (or there about) CCL was higher on that list.:(

I read their mag, and from the kind of ads you see in it [high end perfume, jewellery, other luxury items], it's not really the demographic for Carnival cruisers.

I see their recommendations "on a budget" and that's pretty damn pricey for me.

Some comments just make you shake your head. Carnival, as in Carnival Corporation IS in fact on these lists a total of 11 times.

Princess, Cunard and Holland are all on these lists and are an important part of Carninal Corporation.

Carnival is part of the entry level group of brands for this huge company. I would have been surprised to see it on a Conde Nast list.

Carnival still gives a great experience at an affordable price. If it doesn't meet your exacting standards then don't sail on its ships.

You are welcome to cruise on one of the many other ships in CCLs higher level brands.

To say that no Carnival ships making this list means something negative is just silly.

Some comments just make you shake your head. Carnival, as in Carnival Corporation IS in fact on these lists a total of 11 times.

Princess, Cunard and Holland are all on these lists and are an important part of Carninal Corporation.

only problem is, this is not the princess, cunard nor holland board.

I heard today that Carnival has seen a very significant drop in bookings in the last two weeks. They didn't say whether they meant the cruise line itself, or the parent corporation. They are awaiting a report from Royal Caribbean to see if this trend is industry wide or mostly only affecting Carnival.

Here is a web link with more info, including this quote:

"On Monday, ..... bookings fell significantly for Miami-based Carnival Corp. following the Costa accident. Attention is now focused on Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., which reports earnings on Thursday. An increase there could show that passengers are fleeing Carnival over safety fears. A decrease could indicate an overall distrust of all cruise lines."

http://www.local10.com/news/Miami-based-Carnival-lost-customers-after-Italian-cruise-accident/-/1717324/8572384/-/15011j8z/-/index.html

I heard today that Carnival has seen a very significant drop in bookings in the last two weeks. They didn't say whether they meant the cruise line itself, or the parent corporation. They are awaiting a report from Royal Caribbean to see if this trend is industry wide or mostly only affecting Carnival.

Here is a web link with more info, including this quote:

"On Monday, ..... bookings fell significantly for Miami-based Carnival Corp. following the Costa accident. Attention is now focused on Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., which reports earnings on Thursday. An increase there could show that passengers are fleeing Carnival over safety fears. A decrease could indicate an overall distrust of all cruise lines."

The answer is in your quote, Carnival Corp, so these are corporate figures.

I do not think though that the drop is proportional across brands.

Costa of course would be hit hardest. Carnival Cruises because of the idiots in media. I'm sure the other brands haven't measured much more then a blip.

I can't see Buffy and Lance passing up their annual crossing to Southampton on a Cunard ship because of this.

Archived