Uniquely Portland must sees?

nursegrrl8

Other than a 90 minute lighthouse cruise, we plan on walking Portland.

Ā 

I am interested in anything unique to the area. So far:

Ā 

Victoria Mansion (interior closed on our day)

Portland museum - worth going?

Top of the east for a drink

Holy donut for a donut. šŸ˜œ

Duckfat for fries.

Portland observatory.

Walk Old port area

The narrow gauge rail is on my backup list but not truly interested in it.

Ā 

Ā 

Duckfat for fries.

Portland observatory.

Walk Old port area

Ā 

Ā 

We are taking the "Mail boat Cruise" to the neighboring islands. You pick it up on just down the pier from where the ships dock. It is $14 a person for Sr's and takes about three hours, I believe, if I remember correctly.

Ā 

Ā 

Duckfat for fries.

Portland observatory.

Walk Old port area

Ā 

I'm guessing you mean Portland Museum of Art? Depends on your interest, but a good collection of Wyeths and Winslow Homer.

Ā 

Top of the East is nothing special, IMHO. Better places to get a drink down in the Old Port and on the waterfront.

Ā 

Holey Donut, get there early, as when they sell out, they close.

Ā 

Duckfat is great, shakes as well as fries.

Ā 

Mailboat run, as mentioned, gives a nice view of the Casco Bay Islands, and the boat Captain gives a spiel about island life. Duration is 2.5-3 hours depending on the amount of cargo for the islands.

Ā 

There are also schooner cruises of Casco Bay.

Ā 

Lunch at Grill Room, Boone's, Nosh, or Duckfat.

Ā 

Shipyard Brewery tour, or the Great Lost Bear for about 70 craft beers on tap, some available nowhere else in New England.

Ā 

Longfellow house and museum.

It's not for everyone, and not uniquely Portland, but if you like lighthouses, a trip to Boothbay Harbor, Maine might be worthwhile. We lucked out and visited Portland on the day that Cap'n Fish was doing a special fall boat trip that went past 8 lighthouses for $35. Cap'n Fish has other trips. (See http://www.boothbayboattrips.com). You would have to rent a car, however, and drive an hour to an hour and a half to get to Boothbay Harbor. It's a fun place, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the mail boat run just a one time start time or do they have several boats and/or several different times they leave. This sounds like something we would love to do. What time does the boat leave? I'd hate to get there and see the boat sailing off in the distance! :(:eek: Also, are there signs to where you are supposed to meet the boat?

Is the mail boat run just a one time start time or do they have several boats and/or several different times they leave. This sounds like something we would love to do. What time does the boat leave? I'd hate to get there and see the boat sailing off in the distance! :(:eek: Also, are there signs to where you are supposed to meet the boat?

Ā 

There are two mailboat runs a day. For cruise passengers, only the 10am one is suitable (the other is at 2:15 or 2:45 depending on time of year). The afternoon mail boat is timed to allow the island kids to get from school (middle and high) to the ferry. Go to http://www.cascobaylines.com for all information on the mailboat run (under "scenic cruises") and directions and tickets. There are other runs to the islands daily, but they won't hit all the islands, and won't have narration by the skipper. There are also quick trips to Peaks Island, which is the major inhabited island, and has the largest year round population. These run about every hour, and take 15-20 minutes.

^^ Fantastic! Thank you! I tried to get directions but didn't work. Even tried google maps. And I can't see where you buy tix beforehand, so I just hope they can be purchased there. Is it walkable from the ship? Do you have directions?

Ā 

Google maps: "Portland Ocean Gateway Terminal to Casco Bay Lines Ferry Terminal".

Ā 

About 7 minute walk (0.4 mile). As you leave the cruise terminal, there will be a nice walking path that you take to your left. Walk along this until it ends at Franklin St, and you'll turn left again and you're on the Maine State Pier. There is a light blue building with whales painted on it, and opposite to that is the Casco Bay Ferry terminal (big sign, can't miss it). Yeah, I don't think you can buy tickets in advance, there is a ticket booth right there, no problem, $16/adult.

Google maps: "Portland Ocean Gateway Terminal to Casco Bay Lines Ferry Terminal".

Ā 

About 7 minute walk (0.4 mile). As you leave the cruise terminal, there will be a nice walking path that you take to your left. Walk along this until it ends at Franklin St, and you'll turn left again and you're on the Maine State Pier. There is a light blue building with whales painted on it, and opposite to that is the Casco Bay Ferry terminal (big sign, can't miss it). Yeah, I don't think you can buy tickets in advance, there is a ticket booth right there, no problem, $16/adult.

Thanks SO MUCH!!! (y)(y)