NCL Spirit with young kids - Family Oceanview Porthole cabin deck 4?

aussiegirl77

We are considering the Spirit for a Mediterranean family cruise next summer, kids will be 4 and 5 at the time. Looking at outside cabins (avoiding balconies at this age), all that seems to be available to us is the Family Oceanview Porthole cabin with 2 pull-down bunk beds. Available cabins are all on Deck 4 (4500-4516).

Has anyone travelled in one of these cabins with young kids? I've searched and haven't been able to find much info. I'm a bit concerned that the cabin might be very crowded, and perhaps claustrophobic with only a porthole rather than balcony doors or a window? Are the bunk beds safe for this age kids or would it be better to put them in the lower bed and we sleep on the bunks?

Also it will be our first time with NCL, we've previously been on Celebrity Equinox in 2011 and Royal Carribean's Jewel of the Seas in 2010, both pre-kids. Any tips or feedback will be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

We are considering the Spirit for a Mediterranean family cruise next summer, kids will be 4 and 5 at the time. Looking at outside cabins (avoiding balconies at this age), all that seems to be available to us is the Family Oceanview Porthole cabin with 2 pull-down bunk beds. Available cabins are all on Deck 4 (4500-4516).

Has anyone travelled in one of these cabins with young kids? I've searched and haven't been able to find much info. I'm a bit concerned that the cabin might be very crowded, and perhaps claustrophobic with only a porthole rather than balcony doors or a window? Are the bunk beds safe for this age kids or would it be better to put them in the lower bed and we sleep on the bunks?

Also it will be our first time with NCL, we've previously been on Celebrity Equinox in 2011 and Royal Carribean's Jewel of the Seas in 2010, both pre-kids. Any tips or feedback will be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

The bunks on the ship will have a little railing thing that raises up along the side. Looking at pics of 4506 and 4508 those only have one bunk from the ceiling so that would mean the 4th bed is one of the pop-up beds which makes wall to wall beds unless you make them into the "U" shape. So yes, the room will feel crowded solely based on the beds. I don't know if all of those rooms you mention are the same setup but I'm guessing they are.

Our kids have slept on the bunks on NCL as young as 3 and never had any issues even though our DS is Mr. Squirrel Legs.

The Spirit, the oldest ship in the fleet, is still one of our favorites. Your kids will love the back pirate pool area and there is covered tiered seating back there for you to sit with a bar close by.

The more we cruise our family has gone from balcony rooms to ocean view. From picture window to port holes ...... and our kids are 17 & 16

I think our daughter was 6 or 7 when she slept on the bunk for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for all the thoughts so far!

Dexddd, where did you find the photos of the actual cabins? All I have been able to find so far are the generic photos of the room type but they don't show the room with the extra beds, just the standard two single beds.

Does anyone have any thoughts on balconies with this age kids, as another option? The thought of it makes me a bit nervous, they would obviously be strictly supervised any time they are out there, no chairs/tables by the edge etc, but I'd also be a bit nervous about one of them trying to open the door during the night. Unlikely, but not impossible I guess! How secure are the balcony doors?

I think this ship will be a good one for us, and I really like the itinerary, it's just the room options that are making me a bit unsure at the moment. There are just very few options available for outside cabins, most of them only sleep 3 people, so we might need to consider other options.

Thanks again.

Thanks for all the thoughts so far!

Dexddd, where did you find the photos of the actual cabins? All I have been able to find so far are the generic photos of the room type but they don't show the room with the extra beds, just the standard two single beds.

Does anyone have any thoughts on balconies with this age kids, as another option? The thought of it makes me a bit nervous, they would obviously be strictly supervised any time they are out there, no chairs/tables by the edge etc, but I'd also be a bit nervous about one of them trying to open the door during the night. Unlikely, but not impossible I guess! How secure are the balcony doors?

I think this ship will be a good one for us, and I really like the itinerary, it's just the room options that are making me a bit unsure at the moment. There are just very few options available for outside cabins, most of them only sleep 3 people, so we might need to consider other options.

Thanks again.

There is a pay site (VERY inexpensive) known cruise deck plans dot com.

CC has/had a section with room photos so there might be some there too. Do some checking here.

I would agree the Spirit is great for kids your age. With kids that age I wouldn't worry about the room being too crowded unless you have a room with the wall to wall beds or if you overpack.

I don't believe any category on Spirit above the Porthole can sleep 4 so I think that will steer your decision for you unless you got adjoining balconies.