babies and sea sickness

DiploTraveler

Babies and toddlers do not get seasick. Just think of all that bouncing on the knees, etc., that people do with babies. they don't get sick from that, or riding in a car. This has been asked many times, and they consensus is that they do not get seasick. EM

It's true...they are so "wobbly" on their own, the motion of the ship won't bother them....and it's likely to make them sleep quite well! Their inner ear workings (that control balance) hasn't developed enough to cause problems!

Thanks everyone for the help.

We had a routine check up for our son today. Unfortunately, the office was super busy and we only got 5 mins with the doc. He said there are no sea sickness drugs made for children.

I had the appointment before I saw your responses about babies not being bothered by the motion of the boat, so I didn't think to ask if they just don't get sick.

Well like everyone else said, babies generally don't get motion sickness. They spent months in the womb and they feel pretty comfortable being moved around. It's the same that kids can spin and spin and really never get sick - but as an adult - it would turn you or I green. ;)

I am a little surprised that your doc said that there are no meds for babies and sea sickness - my ped always told us that we could use children's benedryl when they were too young (under 6) for the children's formula bonine

But CLEAR THAT WITH YOUR PED FIRST

We never needed anything. I always just took the stuff with us just in case.

Well like everyone else said, babies generally don't get motion sickness. They spent months in the womb and they feel pretty comfortable being moved around. It's the same that kids can spin and spin and really never get sick - but as an adult - it would turn you or I green. ;)

I am a little surprised that your doc said that there are no meds for babies and sea sickness - my ped always told us that we could use children's benedryl when they were too young (under 6) for the children's formula bonine

But CLEAR THAT WITH YOUR PED FIRST

We never needed anything. I always just took the stuff with us just in case.

I will definitely call the office and talk to them again about this. It is strange that he told us there was nothing we could give him.

Thanks

We're going on our first cruise this year. I have a 1-yr-old that we're bringing along.

I imagine that babies can get seasick, just like adults. What have you done to treat or prevent sea sickness? Do they make baby bonine?

I was reading some of the above posts and I beg to disagree. Young children can get motion sickness - both my 4 year old got car sick as young as 1 on longer rides, and on our flight. DD#2 who is now 2 got sick if she spins on a tire swing. I can't tell you if they get sick on the ship however as this will be their 1st cruise. Our ped did tell us to give them dramamine if we need to.

I think the issue with your child however is that I believe you said your DC was 1 right? I think that the label is for dosages for ages 2 and up w/ dramamine. I don't think they recommend under 2 without a doctors guidance. I would call your peds office and ask them if they have any suggestions such as benadryl which can be given under 2 (both are the same active ingredient - Dimenhydrinate). But I'm NOT a doctor and you should really speak with your pediatrician who should be the only one to tell you what is safe.

Children's benedryl dosing runs by weight, and the dosing spoons are for 6 and up. ;)

So yes, its better to just ask the ped's office.

http://www.babyzone.com/baby_toddler_preschooler_health/allergies/article/benadryl-dosage-chart

Do you know if those dosing spoons have graduation marks on them so you can get rid of what you don't want to administer or do you have to put it into another dosing syringe? I glanced at them at the drugstore and was going to buy some for the convenince factor but if I will have to carry a medicine spoon, its kind of pointless.

I love this topic.

I'm a pharmacist.

Generally speaking, infants and toddlers who don't have the ability to balance themselves and walk usually do NOT experience motion sickness.

What motion sickness is, is the brain getting confused over the motion the body feels (balance-center around the ears) when the eyes are reporting that stuff isn't moving.

Infants and non-walking toddlers don't typically have enough development in their balance centers for the brain to register the motion and cause the confusion. Sure, you may have an infant with an EXCEPTIONAL sense of balance, but it's not typical.

That being said... I have my little post thing I like to refer back to.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24097120

While they don't make a Children's Dramamine, they do make the chewable Dramamine Original Formula (dimenhydrinate)

http://www.dramamine.com/chewable-formula

To prevent or treat motion sickness, see below:

• adults and children 12 years and over 1 to 2 chewable tablets every 4-6 hours; not more than 8 tablets in 24 hours, or as directed by a doctor
  • children 6 to under 12 years ½ to 1 chewable tablet every 6-8 hours; not more than 3 tablets in 24 hours, or as directed by a doctor
  • children 2 to under 6 years ¼ to ½ chewable tablet every 6-8 hours; not more than 1-1/2 tablets in 24 hours, or as directed by a doctor

They don't recommend Bonine or Less Drowsy Formula Dramamine (both contain meclizine) for kids under 12, Children's Bonine (cyclizine) is recommended for kids age 6 and above. But that's neither here nor there.

Another remedy for motion sickness is Benadryl (diphenhydramine)

http://www.drugs.com/benadryl.html

Benadryl is also used to suppress coughs, to treat motion sickness, to induce sleep, and to treat mild forms of Parkinson's disease.

This is because Benadryl and Original Formula Dramamine (and all the other motion sickness medications) are in the same drug family. That is why they can cause drowsiness.

Ginger does work, though.

You can find ginger Altoids (which ARE curiously strong)

ginger__20158.jpg

Sea Band makes a ginger gum

200.JPG

and you can probably find candied ginger at Whole Foods or some specialty supermarket.

Vitamin stores may have a ginger supplement, but those usually aren't kid friendly.

edit:

Make sure it's the ORIGINAL formula Dramamine (look for the Dimenhydrinate)

... and you can also use it if you have a runny nose, sneezing, and post-nasal drip.

Although... I'm having a tough time finding Ginger flavored Altoids nowadays.

Benadryl is the only drug that's been studied and published for kids under 2... but it's in Harriet Lane handbook on a milligram per kilogram basis.

I would double check on the dose with your pediatrician, but really, that's one of the few pharmaceutical choices you have at that point... and it may not even be necessary for your 1 year old.

BTW, cruisinmama06, NICE FIND!

I love this topic.

I'm a pharmacist.

Generally speaking, infants and toddlers who don't have the ability to balance themselves and walk usually do NOT experience motion sickness.

What motion sickness is, is the brain getting confused over the motion the body feels (balance-center around the ears) when the eyes are reporting that stuff isn't moving.

Infants and non-walking toddlers don't typically have enough development in their balance centers for the brain to register the motion and cause the confusion. Sure, you may have an infant with an EXCEPTIONAL sense of balance, but it's not typical.

Benadryl is the only drug that's been studied and published for kids under 2... but it's in Harriet Lane handbook on a milligram per kilogram basis.

I would double check on the dose with your pediatrician, but really, that's one of the few pharmaceutical choices you have at that point... and it may not even be necessary for your 1 year old.

Thanks!

I love this topic.

I'm a pharmacist.

This is really helpful thank you!! Can I ask you one question - DD#1 is 4 and has an allergy to oranges - the only dramamine chewables I have seen are orange flavored. What is the alternative? Can I ground up the dose in the pills and put it in a drink or food for her - I'm not sure if she would swallow the 1/2 pill.

Also since they are the same - can you give dramamine AND benadryl if she has an allergic reaction or once I give dramamine can I not give benadryl (DD is allergic to shellfish/milk etc.)

I love this topic.

I'm a pharmacist.

I was hoping you would come along to rescue me. ;):D On my "mommy web board", we share links to med dosing charts all the time. But we have been together forever and we all know each other. I hate to give out med info on an anonymous web board. :p

So thank you!

This is really helpful thank you!! Can I ask you one question - DD#1 is 4 and has an allergy to oranges - the only dramamine chewables I have seen are orange flavored. What is the alternative? Can I ground up the dose in the pills and put it in a drink or food for her - I'm not sure if she would swallow the 1/2 pill.

Also since they are the same - can you give dramamine AND benadryl if she has an allergic reaction or once I give dramamine can I not give benadryl (DD is allergic to shellfish/milk etc.)

Both active ingredients of Dramamine and Benadryl are very similar to each other.

One being Dimenhydrinate and the other being Diphenhydramine (dramamine and benadryl respectively)... which are both anticholinergic drugs (a fancy name for that family of chemicals that those drugs are in)

A single appropriate dose of each can be given, with an increased chance of common side effects (fatigue, dry mouth) but the more severe side effects from high doses is still low (APPROPRIATE doses)... the side effects you don't want are things like confusion, arrythmias, blurred vision... but you usually have to take a lot for that to happen!

Still, if you give the Dramamine, it may have some "spill over" effect to suppress an allergic reaction and the Benadryl might not be needed at all.

I also checked out the Dramamine Chewable box... Orange flavor, and under the ingredients, it says "flavors"

Well... THAT doesn't help.

There is an 800 number on the box

Questions or comments? call 1(800)382-7219 for McNeil Consumer Healthcare

I'm not familiar with an orange allergy, and whether artificial flavoring, natural flavoring, or something else in the orange can cause the allergic reaction.... I suppose you'd have to ask the doctor who identified the allergy.

edit:

If you're close to Canada, it's sold there as Gravol - which is Cherry flavored

edit2:

Additionally, I wouldn't give the medicine to the kids to prevent motion sickness. These cruise ships are HUGE and unless you hit severe weather, the motion on the ship is barely perceptible. I take motion sickness medicine with me, and we've rarely ever used it on the cruise ship with the kids. We DID hit severe weather on our last cruise aboard the Carnival Legend, in November. We left Belize as a hurricane was heading towards it. The hurricane was coming from the east, and we were headed north. We DID have some rough seas, and my one son, myself, and my wife took some medicine/drank some ginger ale, and after a short nap, we were fine... and after the rough seas passed, were were good to go!

Bring it in case of an emergency, but don't use it unless absolutely necessary. Hopefully the kids will grow some good cruise ship sea legs, and you won't have to worry about them! My eldest son and youngest daughter don't get sea sick. My younger son, my wife, and myself? eeehhhhh.... yeah... sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

First I have to disagree with the others who say babies don't get sea/car sick. I have a 3 year old who has always gotten car sick and couldn't use an infant swing as a baby because of this. His pedi said to let him chew on a ginger snap cookie before getting in the car and it worked wonders for him. They are now 3 years old and their pedi said they make a children's dramamine. Not sure of the ages for that but you may want to go to the pharmacy and see if it is safe at that age and if there is a liquid version. If not then you can call your pedi and speak to a nurse and they should be able to direct you on what to do. As for the ginger candies check your local babies r us or other baby store because you can usually find these in the pregnancy section (close to the nursing items) and the suckers are actually pretty good.

First I have to disagree with the others who say babies don't get sea/car sick. I have a 3 year old who has always gotten car sick and couldn't use an infant swing as a baby because of this.

That's why I mention it.

Nothing in medicine or the human body is definitively black and white... Use have to base everything on the averages. Most average toddlers don't feel motion sickness... some kids do.. they are the exception (or exceptional)

My younger son... kid gets sick on Merry-go-Rounds... it's terrible.. as far back as I can remember throwing him on an amusement ride... kid gets nauseous. Meanwhile, the older one and the youngest go on rides that make ME sick.

Happens... which is why I mentioned the Dramamine Chewable or Benadryl. There is no specific Children's Dramamine... and no liquid Dramamine. The drugs in both the Dramamine and Benadryl (dimenhydrinate and diphenhydramine) have been carefully studied in infants and have been used to treat motion sickness based on a mg/kg basis.

Archived