Costa Magica vs Norwegian Jade

Reesesinmiami

Which would you choose?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which would you choose?

• Costa Magica
    • Norwegian Jade

Planning a last minute vacation to the Greek isles leaving from Venice. Never having been on either of these lines. Which do you all recommend.

The Magica goes from Venice to Bari, Santorini, Athens, Corfu, Dubroknik and back to Venice.

The Jade goes from Venice to Corfu, Santorini, Mykonos, Olympia and back to Venice.

Thoughts on the ships, itiniraries, anything else?

well, I've been on the Norwegian Gem (same itinerary you are saying) and on the Costa Fortuna, sisters of these ships you've mentioned.

The main difference is the style: on the Costa you get an italian style with more traditional things like you have scheduled dinner sittings (1st and 2nd) and the shows are better (in my opinion), while on the NCL is open sitting.

The variety of restaurants is bigger on the NCL (for some you have to pay extra fees but you have a lot of more options).

The style of the ship itself is also different: on the NCL you have more cabin options, the ship has different features (freestyle cruising) and even in Europe you'll find for sure lots of Americans on board. On the Costa Magica you'll find more italians and less english-speakers.

I find the pool area better on the NCL also!

I hope it helps...if you have other specific questions, please feel free to ask!

• 1 year later...

I did the NCL Jade itinerary in 2013...loved the Jade and that trip. First I love freestyle cruising. The cruise directors staff on that ship was so much fun. The balcony cabin was a big plus especially leaving Venice....Amazing!!!! Loved that we arrived in Santorini later than most ships and stayed late as well. We were able to catch the sunset at Oia which is breathtaking. Big thumbs up for the Jade!

Edited by Reesesinmiami

• 1 month later...

The Magica goes from Venice to Bari, Santorini, Athens, Corfu, Dubroknik and back to Venice.

The Jade goes from Venice to Corfu, Santorini, Mykonos, Olympia and back to Venice.

Venice- Departure port is a bit of a hassle (bridges, luggage) but down the canal is fantastic view (if its coming in or going out- not sure)

Bari- have been 2x- one time we did the city tour - on own- but often you're in port on a Sunday in this town- which means things are closed. Last time we did the excursion to the little houses- and it was OK- happened to be a national holiday and it was overwhelmed will crowds. an OK cruise port.

Corfu- we walked on our own- we liked Corfu a lot.

Santorini- See if other ships are in port if so - expect MASSIVE lines

Mykonis- never have been

Olympia/Katakolon- worth a visit with an excursion to see Olympia. Sleepy little town otherwise.

Athens- great city, lots to see and do. Best with transport or excursion because port is not near Athens city center.

Dubrovnik- lovely city, really easy to tour on your own. One time we were docked another it was tenders. The tenders were a bit rough (it was raining that day) and people were concerned getting on and off. See if you're tendered or docked. Still a great city though.

With Athens and Dubrovnik I'd go with the Magica.