Tipping, service charge, etc.

Calgirltraveler

Whatever they choose to call it, to me it's just a backdoor way of collecting more money without telling you upfront, then making silly excuses for doing it. We travelled Norwegian once but, since have become regulars on Princess and love it. They have optional 'tipping', 'service charge', or whatever, as it should be. Anyway, I have searched this website and I an unable to locate current information about NCLs policies. Is it mandatory or optional? We are considering a NCL cruise this December because it's a last minute thing and Princess has nothing interesting available. This could be a deciding factor. Thanks.

I'm afraid you aren't going to get your answer. What is likely to follow is page after page of differing opinion, all delivered with absolute certainty and a large element of hostility, which will leave you none the wiser about tipping, but with a very good insight into the minds of a number of posters on this forum.

Pretty much like every other cruise line. All you had to do is go to NCL website and all the information is there.

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional.

How much are the service charges:

For sailings prior to August 1, 2015 rates are as follows:

• $12.95 for guests staying in Studio, Inside, Oceanview, Balcony and Mini-Suite categories

• $14.95 for guests staying in Suite and The Haven categories

Effective August 1, 2015 rates for all sailings are as follows:

• $13.50 per person per day for guests staying in Studio, Inside, Oceanview, Balcony and Mini-Suite categories

• $15.50 per person per day for guests staying in Suite and The Haven categories

(This will be automatically added to your onboard account)

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

How do I prepay my service charges?

Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?

They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Why would I prepay my service charges?

The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable. If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board? Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

If I were you, I'd stick with Princess, since you know there system very well.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Might want to stick with Princess forever since the new policy is to pay 1st, get form from Guest Services, email /scan form at the END of the trip (literally disembark or after) and get refunded in like 2 weeks or longer. So, bye and enjoy your Princess trip![emoji8]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I'm afraid you aren't going to get your answer. What is likely to follow is page after page of differing opinion, all delivered with absolute certainty and a large element of hostility, which will leave you none the wiser about tipping, but with a very good insight into the minds of a number of posters on this forum.

I take it you saw that "don't stiff your butler" deleted thread like a month back when it was like 8 pages of bickering?

Whatever they choose to call it, to me it's just a backdoor way of collecting more money without telling you upfront, then making silly excuses for doing it. We travelled Norwegian once but, since have become regulars on Princess and love it. They have optional 'tipping', 'service charge', or whatever, as it should be. Anyway, I have searched this website and I an unable to locate current information about NCLs policies. Is it mandatory or optional? We are considering a NCL cruise this December because it's a last minute thing and Princess has nothing interesting available. This could be a deciding factor. Thanks.

Do you expect to take a cruise and not pay a service charge or tip?

Yes they always tell you upfront about the charge . This charge is actually factored into the wages of the crew . If you drop this charge some of the crew will not be paid there full wage. The money is a gratuity or tip for the staff that you see and don't see. In bars a gratuity is also added . Do you want to remove as well?? If you do , see how fast the bar tenders know that you are stiffing them.

You've cruised before?

Then you already know how the system works.

Pay your obligations.

A minimal amount of research when sailing any cruise line would include looking at the lines Frequently Asked Questions. All the info that was already provided in this thread is sitting right there in black and white. Nothing is hidden. :confused:

... Anyway, I have searched this website and I an unable to locate current information about NCLs policies.

That's because you are searching this website instead of going to the source. Try NCL.com when you are interested in current information about NCL policies.

If the 'rules' for the Service Charge are a deal breaker for you then:

1. You are probably not suited to cruising because most lines have a DSC in one form or another - if it bothers you that much then you need to examine your priorities IMHO.

2. NCL have just recently made it more difficult to remove the DSC (A good move on their part IMHO). NCL's DSC is a bit higher than Princess's (even with Princess's recent increase).

3. At the end of the day, add in the DSC to the fare, is the total a price you are happy with? - then go for it. Treat the DSC as part of the fare - pay -it - chill out and move on.

First of all, what you say is entirely reasonable and correct. In most areas of the world a "tip" is about a reward for excellent services above and beyond the call of duty. But in the USA it has become something else when staff are paid subsistence wages and need the "tip" just to survive... but that doesn't mean that they don't need to deliver excellent service to earn it.

In European countries where we have a "living minimum wage" (in the UK this is currently being phased in to £9 ($13.75) per hour which is £18,700 per annum grossed up (or $28,750 pa)... then a tip is just what it says - a reward for excellence and not a part of basic salary. There is no tipping culture in the UK or other countries such as Switzerland where all staff are reasonably paid. In the USA the minimum wage is only $7.25 per hour so there is a tipping culture (to effectively subsidise employers from paying their staff a reasonable wage). These employees need their tips to survive.

So expect the USA view to be at odds with the European view on gratuities.

You'll get a lot of posts (that you can take a view on whether they are genuine or not) that will seek to vilify you for taking away employees "hard earned wages" but if NCL adopted the European model and paid their staff a decent wage then a "tip" would mean just what it is... a reward for excellence of service above and beyond what is expected.

Of course, that is not the case on all cruise lines (not singling out NCL here) where staff are generally recruited from third-world countries and are generally very poorly paid.

So is NCL wrong for paying buttons? Not really as all cruise lines are doing essentially the same.

And is a "tip" a reward or a god given right no matter how bad or surly the service is. Well there's no reasonable argument there for anybody other than somebody with their "corporate hat on" (and we all know who they are)!

Apparently NCL has a new procedure for refunding back the Discretionary Service Charge. You fill out a form at the end of your trip and email it in. They then refund your money. Adds a step to the process but you still arrive at the same place, controlling how much money you wish to tip.

You won't find that information anywhere on an NCL website. They like to be sneaky.

Do what feels right to you. It's your money and your choice. Ignore the snide comments.

You fill out a form at the end of your trip and email it in. They then refund your money. Adds a step to the process but you still arrive at the same place.

Well good luck with that. NCL entirely ignored my correspondence and reminders for two and half months!

Well good luck with that. NCL entirely ignored my correspondence and reminders for two and half months!

If you followed the procedure instituted by NCL and didn't pay cash, then dispute it with your cc company. If you paid cash or debit card, then you may be out of luck.

First of all, what you say is entirely reasonable and correct. In most areas of the world a "tip" is about a reward for excellent services above and beyond the call of duty. But in the USA it has become something else when staff are paid subsistence wages and need the "tip" just to survive... but that doesn't mean that they don't need to deliver excellent service to earn it.

In European countries where we have a "living minimum wage" (in the UK this is currently being phased in to £9 ($13.75) per hour which is £18,700 per annum grossed up (or $28,750 pa)... then a tip is just what it says - a reward for excellence and not a part of basic salary. There is no tipping culture in the UK or other countries such as Switzerland where all staff are reasonably paid. In the USA the minimum wage is only $7.25 per hour so there is a tipping culture (to effectively subsidise employers from paying their staff a reasonable wage). These employees need their tips to survive.

You'll get a lot of posts (that you can take a view on whether they are genuine or not) that will seek to vilify you for taking away employees "hard earned wages" but if NCL adopted the European model and paid their staff a decent wage then a "tip" would mean just what it is... a reward for excellence of service above and beyond what is expected.

Of course, that is not the case on all cruise lines (not singling out NCL here) where staff are generally recruited from third-world countries and are generally very poorly paid.

So is NCL wrong for paying buttons? Not really as all cruise lines are doing essentially the same.

And is a "tip" a reward or a god given right no matter how bad or surly the service is. Well there's no reasonable argument there for anybody other than somebody with their "corporate hat on" (and we all know who they are)!

Spoken like a true Brit. [emoji57]

Spoken like a true Brit. [emoji57]

Well their British and European ways is why the Epic is going to Orlando. And probably why NCL is never (foreseeable future, anyway) going to leave a Breakaway-class ship out there for months. Nice karma, when one thinks about it.[emoji14]

If you followed the procedure instituted by NCL and didn't pay cash, then dispute it with your cc company. If you paid cash or debit card, then you may be out of luck.

He's out of luck with credit card too because it comes with its own catch-22 -Because then, NCL can legally send it to a collection agency stating lack of payment. Thus putting him in a more bigger bind - Why do you think I said it 'brilliantly evil"? [emoji48]

Its take NCL 4-6 weeks to send out a check for refundable OBC - You think they're in a hurry to refund DSC?!?! Yeah, okay....[emoji57]

Well, here we go again. I feel that you should (bad word to some) tip, according to services rendered. I understand your philosophy regarding the crew not getting a fair pay out the door. That's not on me. That is on NCL and the prospective employee. They should know what they are getting into before they sign a contract. So what do you do to rectify a situation where the service was, let's say for conversation sake , awful? Still have the DSC go to them? It makes more sense to pay them for their great service individually or as on land give them an amount according to the quality of service. What is the incentive to provide good service when you know that they will be sharing the DSC no matter what. Does that not then have the potential for you and I not to cruise with them again?

Actually, in the US, there is a different minimum wage for servers, determined by state. The median income in my state is abipout $71,000, and the minimum wage for weavers is $2.14, I believe. One of the highest COL areas in the country. Back when I waitresses (30 years ago, the wage has not increased since then), we'd all beg the hostess not to seat those who might be from others counties in our sections, who might not be privy to our tipping culture.

Well, here we go again. I feel that you should (bad word to some) tip, according to services rendered. I understand your philosophy regarding the crew not getting a fair pay out the door. That's not on me. That is on NCL and the prospective employee. They should know what they are getting into before they sign a contract. So what do you do to rectify a situation where the service was, let's say for conversation sake , awful? Still have the DSC go to them? It makes more sense to pay them for their great service individually or as on land give them an amount according to the quality of service. What is the incentive to provide good service when you know that they will be sharing the DSC no matter what. Does that not then have the potential for you and I not to cruise with them again?
That is a good question, but no one on here knows how the DSC is broken down. Is it broken down based on their performance or is it shared equally, etc. Nobody knows on here. Also what is the incentive to provide good service in London, where they get a better wage and tipping is not required? They know what they are going to make, so seems to me that it is pretty much the same. I was in a restaurant in London who added on a 12.5% service charge and, guess what, it was not an incentive for the server to give us good service and I was stuck paying it, even though I didn't think the service warranted it. At least with a tipping culture, you can decide if the service warranted a tip or not, but with that service charge in London, I was stuck paying for bad service.

I've dealt with this and similar systems in my over 35 cruises and, no, it doesn't make me, or the majority of cruisers, not want to cruise with NCL.

Edited by NLH Arizona