Sticker Shock

We love NCL's Suite Life and had wanted to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary sailing from New Orleans. In July I priced the cruise sailing 4.2.17 and the suite cost was $4037.12; Pricey but doable since it is for a special occasion. Priced the same room and date today and the price is $5769.98. They say the Promo's are free, think not!!! Needless to say I did not book the cruise.

Prices go up and down based upon demand and availability...

It likely has nothing to do with the promos as there were promos in April.

If you check prices often enough you can catch it when it gets lower.

We love NCL's Suite Life and had wanted to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary sailing from New Orleans. In July I priced the cruise sailing 4.2.17 and the suite cost was $4037.12; Pricey but doable since it is for a special occasion. Priced the same room and date today and the price is $5769.98. They say the Promo's are free, think not!!! Needless to say I did not book the cruise.

What is the date of the cruise, pricing varies by time of year

I just checked your sailing date on NCL and agree that prices are very high. $2549 pp for a family suite (SJ) is very high. They still have seven suites left in that category so not sure why it is so expensive. Maybe it has to do with Easter.

In the past we have been able to book SJ suites as low as $1059 per person. I think that the increase in price is also related to the fact that people are booking more suites due to the perks and promotions.

Edited by jmele999

They have systems that attempt to maximize revenue based on what demand looks like. All it takes is a few people signing up in a short period to trigger price increases. If things slow down, prices will drop.

Lets say they have 20 suites left and 20 weeks left until it sails. If they are selling one suite per week, prices will stay stable. If all of a sudden they sell 3 suites in a week, then prices will rise. Their goal is to completely fill the boat by the time it sails at the maximum they can get. If it looks like they will have empty rooms, then you will see prices drop. When prices drop, many people sign up that wouldn't otherwise and prices can then zoom back up.

I often start out at an inside room, then upgrade if the prices drop. I almost always end up in a outside window room and often a balcony for the same or less than the inside room. Suites are tough because of the large price increase from a balcony. I haven't ever seen a suite price cross over what a balcony costs, but I guess it could happen.

I haven't ever seen a suite price cross over what a balcony costs, but I guess it could happen.

A promo could do the trick, in total value, as they get multiple perks.

We went from a balcony with $75 OBC to an Haven suite with last spring's all in promo (UBP, UDP, DSC and $300 OBC) for some $100 or 150 each.

I posted a similar thread a few weeks ago. The prices are sky high. I also noticed there are not long term discounts either. I priced cruises into 2017 and pretty much the same price :eek:

I cruised this past February and a similar suite on Getaway now is $1500 more expensive AT LEAST.

Even my NCL PCC agrees the prices are high. I told her to not call me unless the promos are gone. Maybe that will be never :eek:

Even the Sky prices are "sky high." You used to be able to sail the Sky for under $200 inside cabin. But now you do get your "free" drink package ;)

Edited by david_sobe

We booked a last minute balcony guarantee on the Getaway last Friday, sailing this coming Saturday! The price dropped $90 during the day on Friday, so we went ahead and booked. The price yesterday was $120 higher than we paid!!

Back in January, we were lucky enough to get an SJ suite on the Dawn with all perks for $999. Now, the cheapest I can find for that same category is around $2400.

Why not book a minisuite or balcony cabin, then see if you can upgrade to a suite later. At least you'll be on the cruise.

We booked a last minute balcony guarantee on the Getaway last Friday, sailing this coming Saturday! The price dropped $90 during the day on Friday, so we went ahead and booked. The price yesterday was $120 higher than we paid!!

Back in January, we were lucky enough to get an SJ suite on the Dawn with all perks for $999. Now, the cheapest I can find for that same category is around $2400.

This is exactly what I found. Not sure how NCL can charge $2400 for their cheapest suite on an older ship when those suites have been price around $1200 earlier this year. I don't think that it is a matter of supply and demand, but a new pricing structure for suites on NCL.

This is exactly what I found. Not sure how NCL can charge $2400 for their cheapest suite on an older ship when those suites have been price around $1200 earlier this year. I don't think that it is a matter of supply and demand, but a new pricing structure for suites on NCL.

People willing to pay it more power to them. If ships not sailing full they will lower the price. All about supply and demand.

I would keep checking the prices if you're really interested in the sailing - they may drop. And I'm not sure if the promos are the sole reason for the increase. I booked a Haven suite on the Getaway earlier this year for $4500 total for 3 of us. That included UBP, UDP, and $550 OBC - and I didn't have to pay gratuities on the packages. It's now around $6500, with a lot less value-added promos. It really does boil down to supply and demand, time of year of the sailing, and time of year of the booking. Keep an eye out this winter - prices seem to be at their lowest then, in my experience. Hope you can find your anniversary cruise! :)

WOW, that is so high!! There are four of us in a SJ (family suite, no balcony) on the Dawn next month and we paid under $3400, including insurance. We booked in in February. Two of us have the UBP, two have the soda pkg, all four have the UDP. I would like to take the Dawn again in the spring, but not at those prices!! :eek: !!

Keep checking, the prices go up and down all the time!!

Good luck and Congratulations on your Anniversary!!

I booked the Owner's Suite on the Dawn for the first full week in April '17, two weeks ago for three pax and the total for all of us was $4375.67 and that included UDP, UBP, Wifi etc. Who did your pricing? :confused:

Sorry about that.

We booked for Jan 2016 about 1-2 years ago, on the Dawn, SF aft suite, for about $2,800 for two. And get $300 OBC.

I see for Jan 2017 the current price is about $5,500 for two.

At that price, I do not see value in cruising. We will spend our vacation $$ elsewhere in the future. Yes, I would call that Sticker Shock.

I booked the Owner's Suite on the Dawn for the first full week in April '17, two weeks ago for three pax and the total for all of us was $4375.67 and that included UDP, UBP, Wifi etc. Who did your pricing? :confused:

Prices have really increased over the last week. I just priced the same owner suite for the week that you are sailing. The price for 3 people is now $8552.07. Almost double what you paid. Not really sure what happened, but the increases are not due to supply and demand.

Sorry about that.

We booked for Jan 2016 about 1-2 years ago, on the Dawn, SF aft suite, for about $2,800 for two. And get $300 OBC.

I see for Jan 2017 the current price is about $5,500 for two.

At that price, I do not see value in cruising. We will spend our vacation $$ elsewhere in the future. Yes, I would call that Sticker Shock.

We also found a good deal at the beginning of the year. We paid $3,800.00 for a deluxe owner's suite for January 2017 on the Dawn. The same suite is now going for $6,100.00