Sailing out of NY in January, should I be worried?

Lacaena

The title of the post pretty much says it all. I swear I've seen posts on this topic but a search turned up nothing.

DH and I are on the 14 day Breakaway cruise on January 3rd. I've never sailed out of the north east and I'm a little concerned about how the seas will be. I'm not usually prone to sea sickness, I've had a couple times where I felt a little green around the gills, especially the first day or two. But I've never actually "been sick" if you get my drift. We've also never hit really rough seas.

I know NCL wouldn't do anything unsafe so I'm not worried about actual issues, just feeling icky. I'd love to hear from people who have sailed out of NY or NJ in the middle of winter!

I'm not worried about getting there or snow or anything like that. We live in southern New Hampshire and we are going to drive in. We have four wheel drive so as long as the roads are open, we'll get there!

Thanks in advance!

I don't have a crystal ball but I would be very worried, you have just picked the WORST month to set sail out of NYC. Winter seas can be 25-50ft, so can summer seas:D Don't sweat it.........is it too late to cancel:D

Edited by Laszlo

You will most likely be pleasantly surprised by how warm it will be in mid-afternoon of your first sea day - just 24 hours after sailing. Sure, there may be heavy seas, but it also could be flat calm. I am looking forward to my seventh (Navy or cruise ship) winter sailing this February - the sense of escaping winter makes a winter sailing better than a warm weather one.

Thanks for all the responses so far! I'm not really worried about cold or snow. I expect those things. I'm more worried about the wave height. I know anything is possible, just looking for what the biggest probability is.

It sounds as if you're most concerned about getting sea sick. If it were me I'd probably be prepared with something to take just in case and it would probably be most effective if you took it before you need it.

We always sail from NYC. Once in January our DD and BBF were in the hot tubs on first sea day, and people were using pools and sitting in the sun. It was beautiful out. Once in June on the BA we couldn't go outdoors till second sea day-due to high winds. You can never predict mother nature! Hope for the best, but you will enjoy either way.

If worried about quesy feeling-- guest services has sea sick pills free, pretzels help alot(found all over), green apples too.

Safe sailing

Seriously any time of year can be hit or miss on wave size. If a Nor'easter hits it'll be bad, just like it would with a hurricane or tropical storm. We've sailed out of the NE in April. June and Oct. April was the worst for us, people were getting sick left and right. Oct was a little bumpy and June was smooth as glass. I bring ginger with me and use sea bands, those help. If it gets bad go to the CS desk or infirmary and get the seasick pills.

We've had good weather and bad. We like rough seas so its fine for us.

The breakaway had it's own sort of shudder. I think the most the seas were on it for us were maybe 18 foot or so. But it's cold, and you lose a few days outside because it's too cold. The breakaway has a lot to do so it's a fun ship to enjoy.

If you are the type to get seasick, make sure to bring whatever it is that agrees with you. Dramamine or whatever else they make.

We are doing a group sailing not the Gem leaving Jan 2nd so I am worried about the same thing. Not so much for myself but we have a lot of first time cruisers with us including my two children. Weather is so hit or miss that I want to try to prepare for the worst.

Guest services has free sea sick pills? Anybody know what brand? I know different things work for best for each person so I was going to bring a variety of items to have available for our group.

Are there any good areas on the Gem to hang out (aside from your stateroom) if you are feeling a little seasick?

We do this every year. You never know. One year we were sweating on deck (think it was Jan. 6) last year we left in the middle of an ice storm. It's generally cool the first 2 days but unless you are outside you won't notice. Sometimes you can hit a path of rough water going or coming home but it usually doesn't last long. We like the rough water and don't get seasick but a lot of people use the meds available - patch, bands, etc and seem to be fine. There are rails to hold onto all over so no worries there. Love the Breakaway. Have a great cruise.

We sailed out of NY on the Gem the last two winters(one beginning of Feb, one end of Jan). On the Return leg in 2014 we had 28-42 foot seas(the biggest I had ever been in) for over a day. Lots of people banging into walls and getting sick everywhere. In 2015 we had a very rough first night(14-18 footers) with a rouge wave hitting us around 3am so hard it knocked some bottles off the shelves in the gift shop and we were told hundreds of plates broke in the buffet. On the return leg we had waves up to 30 feet the last night. I think that we just had bad luck. This year we are going in March so we will see.

In Nov 2013 we sailed on the Breakaway from NY to Bahamas and it was the smoothest trip we ever had. At times it was glass, you could not even see a ripple for miles. We saw pods of dolphins laying on top of the water a mile or more away it so calm.

I bought on Amazon but they sell them at Walmart the sea bands. We have never used them but they are there. But we do take bonine. We start the night before the cruise, and we keep on a small dose through out.. Now in the carribean I don't feel anything, for the Atlantic I prepare. Then again, I have never been motion sick. I just don't want an ounce of it. Ha!

My husband was even having issues on rides with motion, yet is not bothered by the sea. I wanted him to enjoy Disney, so he took bonine every day and voila perfect. My Mother has used it for plane rides and we have a small boat I force her to take it. She got motion sick laying on a raft, she gets vertigo as well. And it works.

So go prepared for everyone is different. In June we had calm seas to Bermuda and yet we met with some that were stuck suffering effects while docked. No idea but they wanted off. lol

The fresh air does wonders and there is really nice quiet seating towards the AFT if you like to read or just need space..

Prepare and enjoy! I think my family would be spokespeople for Bonine. lol

I have found zero side effects to bonine unlike Dramamine.

Are there any good areas on the Gem to hang out (aside from your stateroom) if you are feeling a little seasick?

Find a place on an open deck - fresh air helps - out of the wind, and do not look at the horizon, because that focuses your mind on the rolling/pitching. get a lounger and orient it so any motion will be rocking side to side rather than head up then down. The closer you can get to the center line of the ship and halfway from bow to stern will give you less motion.

We have taken this trip a few times in the past and going again on the Gem on Jan 2.

If we are lucky you can sit outside with a sweatshirt by late morning the first full day.

Seas can be rough anytime of the year. We had rough sailing to Bermuda in July a few years ago and coming back in Jan the last full day at sea was rough. No way to predict

As others have suggested, take a Bonine the morning of your cruise before you board ( or even the day before ) and take 1 every morning of your cruise. That really helps any impending seasickness.

We have sailed out of Baltimore on a 8 nights cruise to Bahamas / Florida last February, President's Day week. When we returned I remember saying I would not be sailing out of Northeast in the winter again. The seas were somewhat rough, but mostly it was very cold and windy with outside decks covered with ice and unpassable unless you are wearing full winter attire. It put a damp on the whole "Carribean experience" expectation. HOWEVER, this year came and 10 nights NCL Gem cruise in January sounds very enticing. I am at a loss, too. Should we fly to Miami and take a week cruise on Getaway (been on BA twice, loved it) or should we try another Northeast winter sailing? What did you decide, OP? (and why?) Thank You.:)

Lacaena,

When you get onboard there is one sure fire way to never feel rough seas or any kind of seasickness. All you have to do is:

1. board the ship

2. make your way to the pool and jump in

3. (and this is important) swim to the deep end and "tread water'

while you are treading water it wont matter how rough the seas get because you will be treading water and thus your body will be suspended in water. Your equilibrium will be tricked during your time in the pool.

Any time you feel the slightest bit of upset tummy..sickness..off balance due to rough seas you can use this method. After about 20 mins of treading water you will be slightly fatigued but you burned off enough calories to revisit the buffet and load up on the encased salt cured breakfast meats.

The above advice is provided free of charge.

i hope you have a great cruise and whatever is thrown at you...make the best of it...(and be sure to give a full review) we will be cruising 2 months after you in March!!!

Cheers,

Mark