Earliest flight from Rome (FCO)?

believe123

Hello guys, what would you suggest for the earliest flight after the cruise from Rome (FCO)? Cruise gets back to port by 7am and I was wondering if a 10:50 flight is cutting it too close? Having a hard time booking flights. Some of the connecting times are cutting it way too close. The 10:50 would be better for the connecting flight. Thanks in advance.

Edited by believe123

A little reading around the board would find recommendations for 11am for non-stops to the US, but probably 10am for "domestic" Europe flight. Which type of flight are we talking about?

A common problem frequently discussed here is the long process to get through security for US bound flights. Another reason to not push an early flight time.

Another common problem reported here is that US non stops scheduled for that 10:30-11:30 time frame get changed regularly- frequently slipping back 20-30 minutes, sometimes making them pretty tight to make.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Allow an hour by private car to FCO from Civitavecchia.

Most people recommend allowing 3 hours upon arrival at FCO for flights returning direct to USA (with exception of TRUE Alitalia flights) due to additional security procedures that can result in long lines.

So you can do the math and decide whether 10:50 is too tight for your own comfort level.

I have done that twice however they were flights to Paris and then connecting to US. Both times we were delayed leaving Rome but I did make it to the connecting flight with only a few minutes to spare. Long distance between terminals in Paris.

I have done that twice however they were flights to Paris and then connecting to US. Both times we were delayed leaving Rome but I did make it to the connecting flight with only a few minutes to spare. Long distance between terminals in Paris.

The key difference here is that is a "domestic" flight within Europe, which doesn't have the higher level of security/Terminal 5 process that is associated with a non-stop flight to the US (or Israel). That can add significant time to the process, and is widely discussed here.

We have also flown out of FCO a couple of times, but never non-stop to the US. Typically going to FRA, then home, but also to Toronto non-stop, then on to SFO. Lines can be long, and the terminal is less that well organized, IMHO.

Edited by CruiserBruce

The key difference here is that is a "domestic" flight within Europe, which doesn't have the higher level of security/Terminal 5 process that is associated with a non-stop flight to the US (or Israel). That can add significant time to the process, and is widely discussed here.

We have also flown out of FCO a couple of times, but never non-stop to the US. Typically going to FRA, then home, but also to Toronto non-stop, then on to SFO. Lines can be long, and the terminal is less that well organized, IMHO.

I will be flying direct from Rome to DTW in the fall and will get to see the difference. Our car service is picking up very early for an 11 am flight from out Rome hotel to FCO.

More often than not, I have had plenty of time at FCO.

Just a few weeks ago, I was at the airport 3 hours ahead, as recommended. Even with an added security requirement (all electronics and chargers from carry ons had to be taken out and put into a special see-through plastic bag for scanning), I was through the process and at my boarding gate in probably 35 minutes.

I had much the same experience last year. But I am too much of a worrier to want to cut it close. There are plenty of places at the international gates to do a little duty-free shopping, grab a last espresso or panino, etc. (Though seating seems totally inadequate for the number of passengers.)