champagne waiting in the cabin

tgjr

We ordered the Korbel Brut and it was waiting in our room when we got there. We were cruising with friends in Nov out of NJ so we knew it would be chilly up on deck. We did sailaway and watched from the balcony. There were only 2 champagne glasses and even though we asked the steward for more (which he never brought) we ended up using the tumblers in the room.

It also depends on the liquor laws in the port. We ordered champagne and chocolate covered strawberries to be delivered at embarkation on in Galveston. Got the strawberries along with a note saying that due to Texas liquor laws we would not receive the champagne until the next day.

Strange. We have gotten champagne the first night out of Galveston on Voyager. And RCI used to serve "champagne" in the priority waiting area there.

This year our friends' champagne was in their room when they checked in. Perhaps its the brand?

I would like to do that for our Med cruise next summer. Since there will be 9 of us (but only 5 drinking), I might need 2 bottles. Could you tell me how much it was and does anyone know if it is different for the Med cruises?

Also, how many strawberries and how much? Anyone ordered cheese and crackers?

I would like to do that for our Med cruise next summer. Since there will be 9 of us (but only 5 drinking), I might need 2 bottles. Could you tell me how much it was and does anyone know if it is different for the Med cruises?

Also, how many strawberries and how much? Anyone ordered cheese and crackers?

Here's the link but please note that a bottle of Kobel will cost you $33.35. I just bought a bottle at home for $8.99 so there's a huge markup. My brother and his wife sent me a bottle on one of my cruises. Nice surprise. You can download the order form or call the toll free number. The price is the same on all itineraries because it's coming from the ship's wine cellar. You can also order all kinds of other things, food, flowers, etc.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftcatalog/home.do;jsessionid=00006kNdKv_8hqMdQBTqA810ewk:12hdhuaq2

This year our friends' champagne was in their room when they checked in. Perhaps its the brand?

Yes, it does depend on the brand of champagne you order. You will see that in the bars they also change the drink menus when they get out of Texas into international waters. They have to serve bonded liquor that has been taxed by TX in port and not all brands are

available while in a TX port.

Here's the link but please note that a bottle of Kobel will cost you $33.35. I just bought a bottle at home for $8.99 so there's a huge markup. My brother and his wife sent me a bottle on one of my cruises. Nice surprise. You can download the order form or call the toll free number. The price is the same on all itineraries because it's coming from the ship's wine cellar. You can also order all kinds of other things, food, flowers, etc.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftcatalog/home.do;jsessionid=00006kNdKv_8hqMdQBTqA810ewk:12hdhuaq2

Marked up like all the wine onboard.

There's another wrinkle in Texas too, though I thought it had been repealed. It's a little thing called the "Blue Laws". They prohibited alcohol sales (and other things) on Sundays. That might be what caused that little delay in your bubbly delivery if the cruise started on a Sunday.

Of course, I haven't lived in my old home state in about 13 years so much may have changed.

All of the things on board are "marked up". It's called "making a profit."

You can also stay at home without paying cruisefare. You can buy and cook your own food at home. You can buy t-shirts at K-mart for less than the ship's stores charge. You can play poker or blackjack with your friends around your kitchen table for M&M's.

But if you want to go on a cruise, the cruiseline will charge enough money so that they can provide food 24 hours a day, cooks to cook it, waiters to serve it, workers to clean up before and after it, linens, silverware and plates to eat it from, glasses to drink out of , bars to sit at, chairs to sit on, etc, etc, etc.

And so on and so forth.

Technically, it's only prohibited to sell hard liquor by the bottle on Sundays in Texas. You can buy wine and champagne by the bottle, beer, and individual drinks after noon. If you are eating at a restaurant, you can purchase an alcoholic beverage with your meal before noon. The caveat is the waiter has to bring your appetizer or entree to the table before delivering your alcoholic drink.

Technically, it's only prohibited to sell hard liquor by the bottle on Sundays in Texas. You can buy wine and champagne by the bottle, beer, and individual drinks after noon. If you are eating at a restaurant, you can purchase an alcoholic beverage with your meal before noon. The caveat is the waiter has to bring your appetizer or entree to the table before delivering your alcoholic drink.

That is a change since I lived there. Used to be that the grocery stores that sold booze had to stick broom handles through the refrigerator handles on Sundays and you could not get a drink anywhere except at home.

I ordered multi bottles from Gift's and Gear to arrive on different days through out the trip and I ordered bottles to be sent to our kids cabins on sailing day so they could bring them to our GS as we left MIA. It was all iced down, extra glasses, it all worked perfectly.

I also ordered a couple of bottles of wine and used the rumrunners to get some Bailey's for coffee in AM. Everything else I just bought at the bar and took back to the room or drank in public areas.

Spoke to RCCL today, and they could not guarrnty a bottle in the cabin when we got there.

Any good ideas in how to bring a bottle - how is it possable to smuggel it in the hand carry ? :)

Mine wasn't in the room when I got there, so I called Room Service and they delivered it within 5 minutes :)

Archived