Another newbie question about guarantee cabins

bob278

We sail on our first O cruise July 24th and are quite excited. But it has been a long time since I was new to a cruise line and I have (another) question in addition to several I asked previously.

We have a GTY cabin and I think I understand the concept even though it is a first for us in many cruises across several lines. We got our Cruise Planner a couple of days ago complete with luggage tags. Since we don't have a cabin number assigned, I understand why the block for the number is blank. IF (and I am not convinced it will happen - we are on one of the segments of the World Cruise and I see posts about offers to move to another cruise, most of which are declined) we get the assignment before we leave home, I can write it in the space. But what happens if we don't know our cabin number until we check in (I have seen posts that it has happened)? Is our name on the luggage tags enough to get the bags to our cabin?

There are enough worries enough about our luggage making it through the various airports and porters without adding another unknown to the process.

We sail on our first O cruise July 24th and are quite excited. But it has been a long time since I was new to a cruise line and I have (another) question in addition to several I asked previously.

We have a GTY cabin and I think I understand the concept even though it is a first for us in many cruises across several lines. We got our Cruise Planner a couple of days ago complete with luggage tags. Since we don't have a cabin number assigned, I understand why the block for the number is blank. IF (and I am not convinced it will happen - we are on one of the segments of the World Cruise and I see posts about offers to move to another cruise, most of which are declined) we get the assignment before we leave home, I can write it in the space. But what happens if we don't know our cabin number until we check in (I have seen posts that it has happened)? Is our name on the luggage tags enough to get the bags to our cabin?

There are enough worries enough about our luggage making it through the various airports and porters without adding another unknown to the process.

I would say two things to you, right off the bat:

#1) I would not suggest attaching the cruise Tags to your luggage, until the morning that you are actually en-route to the ship in your Embarkation city. Although I would certainly include a full Itinerary- with contact information for Oceania, you, and the Ship- within each item that you plan to check.

#2) The Porters who accept the luggage at the docking facility will have manifests which list every passengers cabin on Sailing Day. If there wasn't an Oceania Desk at your hotel - and there will be if you used Oceania's pre cruise arrangements- then the Porters and eventually the check in people, will give you a Cabin number, then.

I would say two things to you, right off the bat:

#1) I would not suggest attaching the cruise Tags to your luggage, until the morning that you are actually en-route to the ship in your Embarkation city. Although I would certainly include a full Itinerary- with contact information for Oceania, you, and the Ship- within each item that you plan to check.

#2) The Porters who accept the luggage at the docking facility will have manifests which list every passengers cabin on Sailing Day. If there wasn't an Oceania Desk at your hotel - and there will be if you used Oceania's pre cruise arrangements- then the Porters and eventually the check in people, will give you a Cabin number, then.

Thank you.

We never attach the cruise luggage tags until we are on the way to the ship on embarkation day. And then, we usually put two on each bag as we have had them come off. In an abundance of caution, we also have an external tag with our itinerary from point-to-point from home to home plus a sheet inside each suitcase. Years ago when I traveled on business, I had Eastern Airlines lose a bag that was never found (well, it was never returned to me).

It was an epic battle to get a reasonable reimbursement, but I eventually did. I'd rather the only effort I have go make now is to trace our bags that should be readily recognized.

It does make sense that the porters would have that information. Our cruising experience has been with RCL, Celebrity and Azamara and, while we have gotten to the pier without tags, we have never shown up without knowing our cabin number. I have not seen any indication that the porters had any manifests, but that may well be because I never had to ask them.

We never book a GTY because I cannot take the stress of not knowing where I will be sleeping on the ship :D

That said you may get the assignment soon or maybe not until you board but as Jim said just ask the porters

Keep checking your account on Oceania website ..it may show up there before you leave ... still a few weeks away

Enjoy your cruise with Oceania ...maybe you will convert ;)

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

We never book a GTY because I cannot take the stress of not knowing where I will be sleeping on the ship :D

That said you may get the assignment soon or maybe not until you board but as Jim said just ask the porters

Keep checking your account on Oceania website ..it may show up there before you leave ... still a few weeks away

Enjoy your cruise with Oceania ...maybe you will convert ;)

Lyn

Thanks.

This is our first experience with a GTY. It was all that was available when we booked and the itinerary with the sale at the time was too good to pass up.

I do check our online account a couple of times a week. We are quite excited about the cruise and looking forward to checking out a new cruise line that has such a loyal following.

Often Gs are only available way to book. Did one a year in advance for WC. I finally started looking on O site for cabin assignment. Got one several weeks prior to sail. Not one I wanted. Followed rollcalls here also. One cruiser stated he had just changed his cabin to same cat but lower deck. I immediately called O to get his former cabin which was a less unobstructed one.(I booked with cruise agency and hoped I could do change with O. It worked). Do not expect an upgrade. Learn the deck plans and watch O site and rollcalls.

When we booked, I did look closely at the deck plans. Our choice was between PH2 and PH3. We know a little bit about the R-class ships and we chose the PH2 in the thought that too far forward might be rough in the north Atlantic and deck 9 over the PH2 cabins was hopefully no too noisy. We have been in Azamara's equivalent to 8044/8046 and had no problem.

We always get GTYs if possible (doesn't bother us to wait!) We've never actually NOT had our room number before we got to the port, but once it was the day before we left for the cruise. What has happened to us at least several times is that maybe 3 - 7 days before the cruise, someone called our TA to offer us an upsell (pay more for what is typically a veranda stateroom). In these situations we've immediately decided whether it was worth it to pay more, and accepted or declined it. Normally we've accepted it. (Let your TA know if you will consider upsell offers. You have to act quickly on them.) Once (British Isles cruise on Marina) my husband decided to decline the upsell offer to see if they'd move us for free. Didn't happen, but that's OK. We personally think verandas are overrated and feel there is nothing wrong with the G's. No, there are NO views at all, but otherwise, they're wonderful. Yes, some are way down there with the Medical Center, but that never bothered us. Some are mid-ship, which we like. At least you don't have to worry about obstructed rooms, as there's nothing to obstruct your view except a wall with a G! We got great service from the room attendants, turned on the ship's cam on the room if we wondered what the weather was or what was ahead of us, and enjoyed our lowly but very comfy and affordable G stateroom!

Most likely, you'll know your room number before you get to the embarkation port. If not, your luggage will find you! Not to worry.

Mickie, you lucked out!

Edited by roothy123

I've only had a GTY a couple of times, but when my TA would call with an upsell offer, I'd smile, remind her that I was happy with whatever I got with the GTY, and if they couldn't fulfill the GTY, they had no choice but to put me at a higher level for free. Got moved from a C to a B both times at no cost.

This was actually a little unfortunate; the GTY we had was for a C (ocean view) on Riviera. These are great cabins, the same size as the inside of the veranda cabins, with the same wall-to-wall glass windows as a balcony -- and we rarely use a balcony. We've tried and tried to sail in a C on Riviera, and have never managed it.

I've only had a GTY a couple of times, but when my TA would call with an upsell offer, I'd smile, remind her that I was happy with whatever I got with the GTY, and if they couldn't fulfill the GTY, they had no choice but to put me at a higher level for free. Got moved from a C to a B both times at no cost.

This was actually a little unfortunate; the GTY we had was for a C (ocean view) on Riviera. These are great cabins, the same size as the inside of the veranda cabins, with the same wall-to-wall glass windows as a balcony -- and we rarely use a balcony. We've tried and tried to sail in a C on Riviera, and have never managed it.

Well, and that reminds me: On some ships (forget which class), the oceanviews are actually smaller in size that the inside rooms. If they gave me an oceanview for free instead of my G, I wouldn't mind, as I like to look outside for lighthouses, other ships, etc. However, if they wanted me to pay to be placed in an oceanview (although it has never happened), I wouldn't be worth it to me.

If you book a GTY, you need to be prepared to get any room on the ship of the category you booked or higher. Once in a while, that won't be something you like! I've never been disappointed in my GTYs, though...