Comments/Facts on March 2015 Insignia world cruise by a current passenger

Suesl

Comments/facts on March 2015 Oceania Insignia World Cruise

We are guests on the March, 2015 Oceania 'world Cruise'. We had a world cruise with another cruiseline 4 years ago, so we can't help but use the other world cruise experiences to measure this one.

We heard that Oceania does not offer much entertainment, but they do offer ballroom dance lessons. So we thought we wouldn't mind less entertainment as long as there are ballroom dance lessons.

Alas! there is no ballroom dance lessons. Nightly entertainment is practically non-existent.

Oceania operates this 'World cruise' as segment cruises - for example -

The days on their 'Currents' (daily programs) are reset for each segment;

There are 2 or occassionally 3 entertainers for each segment, other times they use their own staffs and /or the guests to throw together some 'shows', or show a movie.

Everytime a new segment began, there was chaos - routinely available food would be unavailable, breakfast time would be shortened; world cruisers were asked to shorten their port stay to be onboard for the 'safety drills' (safety drills schedule would have been more flexible if not for the new guests);

At Los angeles, we have to disembark the ship whether we wish to or not, so as to 'clear the ship. (Clear the ship because there are many new segment guests coming onboard and many segment cruisers leaving the ship)

World cruisers were presented with the same old 'Things to Come' "show" at the beginning of each new segment and the same old 'farewell' session after the routine last show of the segment; and so on...

Some guests are good sports (including us) and attend the repetitious "shows". "We have nothing else to do" is what I hear all through the cruise.

Supposedly their head-quarter refused to send professional ballroom dance instructors, and ordered the removal of the production staff before the world cruise began. So there is no one to conduct some sort of ballroom dance class.

I have stopped submitting our comments because they fall on deaf ears.

The food and service do not live up to its reputation. However, I won't be fair if I don't say in general they can be considered quite satisfactory.

The best feature is their dock location and the shuttle bus services. I guess we have to give up a lot for the convenient dock locations?

It is the night before Los Angeles. We have nothing to do after dinner. Could it be they want us to turn in early so we can get up early enough to have breakfast and then leave the ship till it is 'cleared'?

To-morrow what kind of chaos will we face? To-morrow evening we definitely will find out, for the n th time: 'things to come'!

If you like to relax and don't mind the lack of entertainment, this might be your ship, otherwise, think carefully if you won't mind the 'nothing to do' evenings.

Welcome to CC.

Had you known about CC before booking your cruise you could have spent an hour reading about Oceania and learned a great deal.

Getting of the ship when entering the U.S. is not up to O but rather the law. As for dance instructors, who told you they would have them?? We have never seen any on board.

Sorry you find the entertainment less than on your last WC but this is something often spoken about on these boards. We are often O b/b/b cruisers and have never attended any of the evening entertainment since we make wonderful long dinners our fun for the evenings.

The food is very subjective and usually rated highly by many posters including ourselves. No, it's not perfect but pretty close. Sorry it does not meet your standards.

Relax and enjoy the rest of your time onboard.

Obviously, I can't comment on much of the report, because we chose to move our world cruise experience to 2016. But, I can comment on a couple of things in general...

The World Cruises were always intended to be primarily for segmenters. We were present at the very first announcement of the world cruises, in July, 2013, aboard Regatta for Oceania's 10th anniversary. Mr. Del Rio was on board and held a "town meeting", during which he announced the world cruises for the first time. He commented that he planned the itineraries to have attractive segments. He said they would be happy to sell 20 cabins for the entire world cruise, while the segments would fill the ship and make the cruise successful. So, we knew what we were getting into when we booked later than July.

Anyone who has sailed back-to-back cruises on any cruise line understands that menus will be repeated, production shows will be repeated, "farewell nights" and opening shows will obviously be repeated. Oceania deliberately did not include production shows on the world cruises, because those kids sweat to learn four show, there are costumes and props for four shows, and no one wants to see the same four shows over and over.

As for clearing the ship in Los Angeles, my educated guess would be that customs and immigration wants the ship to be cleared, and the Coast Guard may also be doing a thorough inspection after the ship has been around the world -- which also require clearing the ship (Marina had to be cleared when she arrived in the United States the first time; there have been other instances of the authorities requiring a ship to be cleared.) It won't be any hardship for me when we arrive in Los Angeles because I have no intention of visiting there without heading for an In and Out ;).

It may be possible that things like the lack of a ballroom dance team were affected by the fact that the 2015 cruise was shortened to a little more than half of the original. I'm sure that upset many of the plans.

I'll report directly when we are on the 2016 world cruise (the entire 180 days, hopefully).

Not sure about OP's reference to ballroom dancing classes, on all of our O cruises, there were very few opportunities to ballroom dance, and no dance lessons offered at all. That said, a friend of ours went on P&O's Oceana ship, and they used to offer ballroom dancing lessons every day, as well as ballroom dancing at night in their lounge. Possibly a misunderstanding of the ship name vs cruise line?

That said, a friend of ours went on P&O's Oceana ship, and they used to offer ballroom dancing lessons every day, as well as ballroom dancing at night in their lounge. Possibly a misunderstanding of the ship name vs cruise line?

That was my thought as well

I do not recall any ballroom dancing instructors on a regular basis on Oceania

Me three. I can't recall ever seeing dance instructors on Oceania, nor on Renaissance before that. I DO recall seeing them on the QE2 ... but Cunard isn't Oceania, is it?

Mura

I've never heard of dance lessons being offered on any Oceania cruise and we're keen dancers so I'd have noticed. We did the first segment and most nights we were one of only two couples dancing. The most I ever noticed on the floor was, I think, 6 couples, so it doesn't strike me as a line that attracts dancers. That being said I can I understand your disappointment. I'm wondering who told you that dance lessons would be offered. Nobody told me that and I booked before the World Cruise was shortened.

I learned on my last cruise to avoid the "Things to Come" show since I found it diabolical then. Andy Heath spent way too long telling us what a great line Oceania was so I didn't want to go through that again! :). I certainly wouldn't want to go at the start of every segment so we would linger over dinner if it was us, or go to Martinis. However I feel he did work hard to bring on board some really good acts. On our 20 night segment we had 6 acts brought on board, each of whom bar one put on two different shows, Andy and Tammy did a show, as did Vlad the pianist and the string quartet.

In fact, I felt the entertainment was good, but then we came to Oceania from Windstar. I have a very good friend who sails on much larger ships because they love the shows but we prefer the smaller ships and are happy with cabaret style entertainment.

I also thought the food was great and the service pretty good. I suppose it depend on one's expectations. This was our 3rd Oceania cruise and the best so far. I'm so sorry to hear that your cruise didn't come up to scratch.

I recall a professional dance couple on Riviera's inaugural season. They performed "cameo" appearances the the production singers and dancers and had a complete show of their own -- sensational. I believe they may have offered some lessons on one or two evenings in Horizons, but I am so far from being a dancer of any sort, I can't verify that.

We have been booked on the first World Cruise since July, 2013, and when that was shortened, on the 2016 World Cruise. I never heard any mention of dance lessons. There was some question on the roll calls as to whether there would be a Bridge instructor, and I believe that has been resolved in the positive. There will also be an "artist's loft" set up in a corner of Horizons, and that will staffed, but never a breath of a dance team.

Other than those few occasions on Riviera in her first year, I don't ever recall dance instructions on any of my 13 Oceania cruises. I'm saddened for the OP's sake that they were misinformed. I would also strongly question the statement that "head-quarter refused to send a professional dance team", and wonder at the source of that statement. Management did remove the production singers and dancers for the reasons I mentioned before, but that was known before the cruise.

Edited by hondorner

Comments/facts on March 2015 Oceania Insignia World Cruise

We are guests on the March, 2015 Oceania 'world Cruise'. We had a world cruise with another cruiseline 4 years ago, so we can't help but use the other world cruise experiences to measure this one.

We heard that Oceania does not offer much entertainment, but they do offer ballroom dance lessons. So we thought we wouldn't mind less entertainment as long as there are ballroom dance lessons.

Alas! there is no ballroom dance lessons. Nightly entertainment is practically non-existent.

Oceania operates this 'World cruise' as segment cruises - for example -

The days on their 'Currents' (daily programs) are reset for each segment;

There are 2 or occassionally 3 entertainers for each segment, other times they use their own staffs and /or the guests to throw together some 'shows', or show a movie.

Everytime a new segment began, there was chaos - routinely available food would be unavailable, breakfast time would be shortened; world cruisers were asked to shorten their port stay to be onboard for the 'safety drills' (safety drills schedule would have been more flexible if not for the new guests);

At Los angeles, we have to disembark the ship whether we wish to or not, so as to 'clear the ship. (Clear the ship because there are many new segment guests coming onboard and many segment cruisers leaving the ship)

World cruisers were presented with the same old 'Things to Come' "show" at the beginning of each new segment and the same old 'farewell' session after the routine last show of the segment; and so on...

Some guests are good sports (including us) and attend the repetitious "shows". "We have nothing else to do" is what I hear all through the cruise.

Supposedly their head-quarter refused to send professional ballroom dance instructors, and ordered the removal of the production staff before the world cruise began. So there is no one to conduct some sort of ballroom dance class.

I have stopped submitting our comments because they fall on deaf ears.

The food and service do not live up to its reputation. However, I won't be fair if I don't say in general they can be considered quite satisfactory.

The best feature is their dock location and the shuttle bus services. I guess we have to give up a lot for the convenient dock locations?

It is the night before Los Angeles. We have nothing to do after dinner. Could it be they want us to turn in early so we can get up early enough to have breakfast and then leave the ship till it is 'cleared'?

To-morrow what kind of chaos will we face? To-morrow evening we definitely will find out, for the n th time: 'things to come'!

If you like to relax and don't mind the lack of entertainment, this might be your ship, otherwise, think carefully if you won't mind the 'nothing to do' evenings.

Thanks for taking the time to give your impressions. Sorry the experience wasn't to your liking. At least you'll be aware for future reference.

Thank you all for your replies. Obviously everyone has different preferences.

1. Entertainment is not everyone's priority. I am only saying if you prefer more entertainment then a ship such as Insignia might not be a good fit for you.

2. My world cruise experience on the other ship/cruiseline (not naming it because I don't know if CC frowns on it) and all other shorter cruises in all the other ships/cruiselines made me think that all ships offer ballroom dance classes for longer cruises. A world cruise surely should have ballroom dance lessons! I don't remember where I read that Oceania (or one of its ships) does offer that. Now I heard from fellow Oceania cruisers that they do offer that on their bigger ships. I do not do intensive 'researches' to find out every little detail about a specific ship.

3. I think world cruises should not be merely back to back segment cruises. My last world cruise is a proof that world cruises are world cruises, segment cruises are only a small part of it. Most passengers were world cruisers. We were never inconvenienced because the ship had to accommodate the new or departing guests.

I understand the ship has to do what the laws require. I was merely saying if this had been a true 'world cruise' there would not have been so much repetition of everything (especially entertainment) and we would not be so caught up in the hustles and bustles of the intensive preparations for the new guests and the departing guests.

4. Good for those who have long dinners and conversation to entertain themselves, or to do some other creative things to entertain themselves in the evenings. Surely there are cruisers who prefer ships that are operated in the way Insignia is operating. There are surely cruisers who prefer something else.

Isn't CC the place where people gather info on their cruises/ships? My post is just to share my experience with people and help potential world cruisers to decide whether it is a good fit.

5. I hear it from the cruise director's mouth that headquarter would not send ballroom dance instructors to Insignia. The cruise director himself told me that he had requested them but was turned down. I had submitted comments several times and spoken with the cruise director and was told that my comments were sent to headquarter. To-date there is absolutely no response from headquarter.

6. We always enjoy the cruises we took, big ship, small ships, short cruises, long cruises... Not saying we don't enjoy this one. Just that it would have been much better if it had been operated as a true world cruise just as the other cruiselines are doing.

7. Whether there are little or plenty opportunities to dance, or whether there are not too many dancers at 'dance parties' is besides the point. The point is - there are guests who would like to participate in ballroom dance lessons; the ship can't assume that there won't be interests in it just because there are not too many dancers. Many guests would feel comfortable in a class environment and enjoy the lessons/dances given the chance. Is that too much to ask for on a 109 day cruise? I think if the ship offers it, the guests will come. I personally know many fellow cruisers who would welcome the classes.

8. We have never done back to back cruises, only world cruise once. Our last world cruise did repeat food but not entertainment activities. All the events and activities were designed for the guests who stay the entire cruise. Oceania promotes it as 'world cruise' but it is run as segment cruise. Would it be fair to blame the world cruisers for expecting a world cruise and not a back to back segment cruise?

9. This is only our experiences and opinions. It is not a good fit for us and perhaps not for those who are like-minded. If you like the cruise/ship, congratulation, you have found a good fit.

Isn't CC the place where people gather info on their cruises/ships? My post is just to share my experience with people and help potential world cruisers to decide whether it is a good fit.

You are right and if you had done that before the cruise all this would be known.

I am not being clever but all this has been said before on CC and it is available before deciding if it is a good fit for you.

Your post is still important as it gives another perspective but it is in line with previous observations.

I can fully understand the OPs disappointment in the area of entertainment. Before the fire on Insignia the Captains blog said 500 passengers were doing the full w/c while other sources had the number closer to 400-either way it is over half and repeating the same things over and over would be boring. O’s promotion for the w/c cruise certainly made it sound if this was to be a special voyage, not just a bunch of b2b. It’s hard to tell but with the massive cancellations (earlier live report said close to half empty leaving Singapore) Oceania decided to cut back.

Although O did not say much before the cruise, as someone that was initially booked I was hoping for some special on-board events. Other cruise lines do these on their w/c. As this was the first time O did a w/c, passengers were left to wait and see.

The segments on the shortened w/c average 3 weeks so only 2 or 3 entertainers over that time would be disappointing. Reviews of other standard cruises here on cc have been better than that so even as segments this appears quite poor.

Unavailable food and short breakfast times are also legitimate concerns. This cruise should have been a bright light in O history, not just another routine cruise with some people doing B2B.

Question for Suesl – you did not mention any lectures or enrichment programs – can you comment on these?

I would be curious to find out what kinds of activities there are during the sea days, not at night particularly. You know, lectures, games, fairs, classes. Anything at all?

I think that ballroom dancing classes would be a great pleasure on such a long cruise. And asking guests to come up with entertainment, or participate in it sounds pretty amateurish, as does the whole enterprise.

....My world cruise experience on the other ship/cruiseline (not naming it because I don't know if CC frowns on it) ...

You could add your cruising experience in your signature. On the website, go to User CP on the nav bar (left side) and choose Edit Signature or go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/profile.php?do=editsignature

That way you can show your cruising history.

I would be curious to find out what kinds of activities there are during the sea days, not at night particularly. You know, lectures, games, fairs, classes. Anything at all?

I think that ballroom dancing classes would be a great pleasure on such a long cruise. And asking guests to come up with entertainment, or participate in it sounds pretty amateurish, as does the whole enterprise.

We thought there was plenty to do on sea days: usually 2 enrichment lectures a day, art classes, line dancing, various sports activities for "Big O" points, wine or drink tastings (for a nominal charge). Senior Executive Chef Alban Gjoka gave three Cooking Demonstrations in the Marina Lounge that were excellent and better than the cooking class we took because of Chef Gjoka's great sense of humor. There was a Country Fair on the pool deck where various departments set up games to win prizes and an Officer's Challenge for more "O" points. Plus the usual suspects -trivia, bingo, afternoon tea, and lectures by staff designed to entice you to buy goods or services.;) Overall our sea days were rather full thanks also to fabulous weather that allowed us to make great use of the spa terrace.

There is a review of the world cruise that just ended for Crystal on their board. Sounds just like what the OP was looking for. I guess each line does it different.I think this one had two strikes against it from the start, the fire and the fact it was the first time Oceania did it.

We thought there was plenty to do on sea days: usually 2 enrichment lectures a day, art classes, line dancing, various sports activities for "Big O" points, wine or drink tastings (for a nominal charge). Senior Executive Chef Alban Gjoka gave three Cooking Demonstrations in the Marina Lounge that were excellent and better than the cooking class we took because of Chef Gjoka's great sense of humor. There was a Country Fair on the pool deck where various departments set up games to win prizes and an Officer's Challenge for more "O" points. Plus the usual suspects -trivia, bingo, afternoon tea, and lectures by staff designed to entice you to buy goods or services.;) Overall our sea days were rather full thanks also to fabulous weather that allowed us to make great use of the spa terrace.

Just wondering, Queen, were you on an R class ship like Insignia? So was it a cooking demonstration rather than a cooking class?

Thanks!

Just wondering, Queen, were you on an R class ship like Insignia? So was it a cooking demonstration rather than a cooking class?

Thanks!

Sorry, it was Marina so there were actual cooking classes for a fee but the free demos were just as good, if not better.

Edited by Queen of DaNile
grammar

The Marina has done a World cruise?? :confused:

No she has not, and none of the R ships have Culinary Centers, so I can't see how there could be an opportunity to take a cooking class, unless you were up onstage with the chef. :D

Sorry, it was Marina so there were actual cooking classes for a fee but the free demos were just as good, if not better.

Thanks, but I was specifically asking about the Insignia World Cruise activities. I've done a TA on Riviera, and I thought the daily activities were fairly lame for a crossing, frankly, but that may have been the CD that we happened to have.

Thanks, but I was specifically asking about the Insignia World Cruise activities. I've done a TA on Riviera, and I thought the daily activities were fairly lame for a crossing, frankly, but that may have been the CD that we happened to have.

I know I was only on the first segment of the world cruise but I found plenty to do on sea days.. Here's something I wrote earlier:

"There were plenty of daytime activities to keep me occupied and I really appreciated being able to learn new skills. I loved the artist's loft, and I hope they extend this to all the small ships. I never made it to Trivia though I was invited to join a team - I just didn't have the time, but I would have enjoyed it.

Mah Jong was taught by a CC member and there were "official" bridge instructors on board. Social hostess Claudia organised needlepoint sessions and also napkin folding (which I decided I could manage without) and ribbon roses. She also did the line dancing and stretch classes. There were other exercise classes provided by the Spa some of which were charged to your account. I like to say I didn't have time for those or the gym, or the walking track. On the plus side I also avoided the tastings of gin, whisky, wine and martini, and resisted the urge to play bingo or go to the Spa Seminars.

OH read his Kindle and went to some enrichment lectures. Chacun a son gout as we say in NW England."

I so enjoyed the art experience that I've been doing some water colour painting today - I sent for supplies shortly after our return!

There was also a cookery demonstration and the entertainment team did daft games like Baggo and putting. There was also a guest vs officers games match.

Interestingly, before we left home a friend said "You'll be able to join the choir." I had to tell her there wouldn't be one. There had been a TV programme about a Fred Olsen world cruise where a choir mistress had been brought on board to form a choir so my pal assumed every world cruise would have one.

I think both a choir and ballroom dance lessons would be excellent choices for the future, and if they did have dance lessons they might get more people dancing in the evenings.