Regatta alaska june 15 review

harbormaster

CC has published our review of our first Oceania cruise. We sailed Regatta June 15 for 10 days in Alaska. It was our fifth Alaskan cruise. It is long. Those interested in the Alaskan cruises and current Regatta sailings may be interested.

Here is the link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=5074

Edited by harbormaster

Thank you for your complete and balanced review. It sounds like despite some disappointments you had a good cruise overall.

Could you please elaborate on the "obvious and constant class system" on the ship?

About the class system. It was not the other passengers, they were extremely pleasant and we enjoyed a lot of interaction.

We were unable to get any cabin above a C1 as all were full.We knew that on Oceania that different cabin levels are given different priority. That's fine, we booked anyway.

But it was how it was conveyed. When asking about reservations or appointments, etc., we were told by staff "If you were in a higher cabin I could do something for you." Or, when asked our cabin number, were told, "Oh, you are only in an oceanview. I'm sorry." Perhaps it is just a lack of training with new people, but it came across pretty strong. It is something we have never experienced on the all inclusive lines so we were surprised at the lack of tact.

The result can be the same, but there are better ways of putting it. Other guests from this cruise also remarked on it.

About the class system. It was not the other passengers, they were extremely pleasant and we enjoyed a lot of interaction.

We were unable to get any cabin above a C1 as all were full.We knew that on Oceania that different cabin levels are given different priority. That's fine, we booked anyway.

But it was how it was conveyed. When asking about reservations or appointments, etc., we were told by staff "If you were in a higher cabin I could do something for you." Or, when asked our cabin number, were told, "Oh, you are only in an oceanview. I'm sorry." Perhaps it is just a lack of training with new people, but it came across pretty strong.

That is shocking

We have been in A to C cabins & never had that happen

I hope you made a note in your comment cards

Lyn

But it was how it was conveyed. When asking about reservations or appointments, etc., we were told by staff "If you were in a higher cabin I could do something for you." Or, when asked our cabin number, were told, "Oh, you are only in an oceanview. I'm sorry." Perhaps it is just a lack of training with new people, but it came across pretty strong. It is something we have never experienced on the all inclusive lines so we were surprised at the lack of tact.

The result can be the same, but there are better ways of putting it. Other guests from this cruise also remarked on it.

I don't doubt you but I have never seen or heard this type of talk.

We are approaching our 20th cruise on O so we have experienced a lot but never this.

When in line for extra dining reservations, one often overhears the conversations of people ahead in line but such words were never used.

Granted, it may be what the staff member thought when he/she couldn't accommodate someone asking for extra reservations, but if they did, they never used those words.

It is a shame that you had to experience this and even more shame on the staff member using those words. Hopefully you reported this so that it could be avoided in the future by better training of the "guilty" staff member(s).

Thank you. We both did make comments on our comment cards, mid-cruise and at the end. I will say that we were not the only guests who experienced this. And, in speaking to our friends this week who have cruised Oceania a number of times, they experienced this same attitude on their Valparaiso to Tahiti cruise as well.

I do believe that a number of staff were on their first contract, and perhaps they do not yet have the finer points of customer service and tact honed to to their sharpest.

We would hope it was an anomaly.

Happy 4th of July everyone. We are lucky to be able to cruise.

We sometimes sail in inside cabins, and have had many extra reservations with never a comment about our level of accommodations. Our upcoming cruise is a window on Marina but I don't expect any extras as we are a party of three. Not easily accommodated.

Mo

Edited by potterhill

No need to be happy for me. That's the way it used to be. We'll see this fall how it plays out.

Perhaps new policies are being implemented. Time will tell. It also depends on the length of your cruise. On a short cruise it is difficult to accommodate all the reservations.

Mo