New Windstar Sale

kathy16

Received e-mail about new sale featuring more "all-inclusive" features- internet, gratuities, drinks, 3 excursions, etc. for about $800 more pp on the Caribbean cruise I have already booked.

Anyone who has recently sailed on WS- does that sound like a good deal?

Thanks,

Kathy

Do you drink a lot and like excursion? Which trip and which islands? Look at the excursions. Are they ones that you would have been interested, in enough to buy? The answer of what it's worth depends on what you want to do there. Can you live without surfing the web or doing remote office work? All a matter of what you like. We go down there to relax but everyone has their own agenda.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We were so excited to see that but unfortunately it didn't make sense for us. On our cruise, it's $1200 more pp and if we booked three scuba trips and the drink package without doing the all inclusive, it would only be $750 more pp. We also try to stay off the internet as much as possible and in the past, the $50 internet package has been sufficient for us.

I think it really comes down to which excursions are included for your trip and which ones you'd like to do. On our cruise, the scuba is only $109 pp but there are excursions that cost nearly $500 for a couple. If those are also included, it may be worth it.

Side question - the only fare you can book for our cruise now is the all inclusive. Does anyone know if they're trying to make those cruises/dates totally all inclusive? If so, do you think they'll automatically make everyone that's already booked all inclusive too?

Hi, we are great fans of Windstar ( 17 times, two more in the near future )and I hope that this not their new way for the love affair would have to end. My husband can not drink ( diabetic ), I drink very little, we hate group tours. We love the independence that WS offers. Now I am a bit nervous. I hope more is written about this or a response from WS. Susanne

Hi got so nervous about the " all inclusive" I called. It is an option only, just taking the trip will always be offered according to them today. I am relieved, my love affair will continue! Also when we take trips and vacations we become disconnected from the world for the most part! Happy Sailing. Susanne

• 3 weeks later...

We paid $1444 for our Jewels of the Carribean cruise in December. On looking at the new all inclusive price of $2499 this is not really a saving, unless the included excursions are some of the most expensive ones.

Also when we cruised Windstar in the carribean last year few people bothered with the Internet. Wifi is readily available in bars at most of the ports to catch up on emails etc.

I have found this to be the case in the past when they advertise 'free' included hotel nights, but the price increases from that quoted previously for the cruise only.

We did get the alumni discount this year which is worth having. We also got an upgrade to a better situated cabin in addition to the discount when we booked a second cruise with Windstar within a short time.

When reading about the all inclusive fare, it depends! We have done the caribbean cruises many times, and rarely take excursions. There are beaches every day, one nicer than the last. The drinks on Windstar are moderately price, and we have never taken the package. You need to figure how much alcohol you consume to see if it is a good deal. We just booked on Vacations To Go, and prices were good, but not all inclusive. I believe Windstar is responding to those who have been on Seabourn (Windstar now owns 3 former Seaboard ships) and like everything included.

Cruise pricing is always hard to figure out, but the current deal for at least some itins is that the upgrade package is complimentary. On our just booked December itin, our TA got us somewhat less that the online price for our cabin with all the inclusions as part of that price. No extra charge, although the WS invoices are very confusing as they show the cabin price, then a deduction for the inclusions, and then another bill for the inclusions that were removed, but the outcome is that we were billed for the cabin price alone. We also got the repeat customer discount.

Are you saying that if you call and say "I don't want the complimentary package" they'd quote you a lower price??

Cruise pricing is always hard to figure out, but the current deal for at least some itins is that the upgrade package is complimentary. On our just booked December itin, our TA got us somewhat less that the online price for our cabin with all the inclusions as part of that price. No extra charge, although the WS invoices are very confusing as they show the cabin price, then a deduction for the inclusions, and then another bill for the inclusions that were removed, but the outcome is that we were billed for the cabin price alone. We also got the repeat customer discount.

Are you saying that if you call and say "I don't want the complimentary package" they'd quote you a lower price??

That's the understatement of the year!

They should just go all-inclusive, drinks-wise. The other lux lines serve cheap gut-rot generally (unless you ask for better). We've been on them all. Most people drink very little, even when it is "free", so the average cost per pax is pretty low. Would save a ton on book-keeping costs. They would still have the opportunity to upsell better wines/spirits. Plus it makes for a more relaxed, friendly atmosphere on-board. The bartenders/wine servers can slow-roll the alchies.

Really makes no difference to us, as we tend to only have a pre-dinner cocktail and then buy an upcharge bottle of decent wine with dinner, even on all-inclusive lines (due to the swill they serve for free). But fellow passengers seem more relaxed on all-inclusive lines (though they really aren't any more expensive than WS if you shop around and wait for sales).

• 3 weeks later...

We booked early, and then this offer came up. We had most of it, minus the shore excursions, so we spoke with the rep, and we were more than 120 days out, so they transitioned us to it, saving about $900 for the cruise. We're okay with it.