Wind Spirit Watersports Platform ?

azlew

We are considering the Windstar Wind Spirit Tahiti cruise (we are first timers to Tahiti and small cruises).

We were wondering on the Wind Spirit watersports platform if they allow snorkeling and/or swimming directly off the platform? Do they have large float rafts that two people can float together on?

I am sure we will have more questions soon and we do appreciate your help!

Thanks.

I just got off the phone with a WS agent to ask about shore excursions for our 9/11 cruise. I was now told that the ship will dock at every island, instead of anchoring off all but 1. They said that the water platform would not be used when docked. It may be different for other weeks so you should call and ask.

All the descriptions for the shore excursions now say something to the effect of "....from the pier...."

I was really looking forward to some wet landings and to swim off of the ship after doing a tour...:-(

We did the Carribean on Windsurf this year and yes, we were able to swim straight off the back of the ship - as you say, great for cooling off after a shore excursion. They also had float rafts and lines to hold on to. I don't know if it differs for the Pacific, however and would add that this was only when we were moored offshore, rather than in dock.

Edited by marama

Maybe it changes by whomever is running the platform and the location of your cruise? We were not allowed to swim directly off the platform in the Med. As always with cruises, you never know what the rules are from day to day!

Edited by 6rugrats

Maybe it changes by whomever is running the platform and the location of your cruise? We were not allowed to swim directly off the platform in the Med. As always with cruises, you never know what the rules are from day to day!

That's really strange, how disappointing. When not in dock we swam off the back of Windsurf this year in the Carribean - same for Windstar off Turkey (Bodrum) about 3 years ago. However it could be different if you were on one of the new ships from Seabourn. When we did a med cruise on Seabourn Spirit last year before she went to Windstar, they made us swim in a cage, which made the whole thing a waste of time. No one was allowed to swim off the boat, so it was no fun at all.

It's a valid point - however I don't recall it being busy in the Adriatic when Seabourn herded us all into the cage. One desperate soul tried to swim off his pedalo and they brought him in! Also, I got the impression that the policy was standard, whether in the med or Carribean - the cage looked pretty permanent. I hope Windstar get rid of them!

Last year we were on the PG Tere Moana in May from Rome to Venice. We were moored off Croatia and used the skiff to get to shore. As we were pulling up anchor, there were two guys who had asked if they could swim from shore back to the yacht. One had conquered the English Channel in his younger days. The Captain agreed and both the Capt. and one or two other crew members followed them from about 100 feet away for safety. The other guests stood on deck and cheered them on (with champagne cheers) every step of the way. It was a highlight of the 14 days onboard...:)

Now I will compare with the Star Pride 11/28 - Panama Canal.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe the decision to open the swim platform depends on the port and local regulations. On our Rome to Venice cruise, the platform was only open in Kotor -- where the water was really cold! Most ports we were docked, so swim platform was not an option.

Best swim platform experience we had was Santorini. But I'd bet the Caribbean trips use the platform more. Med is busier, more crowded, and maybe not the best option.

The OP is asking about the Tahiti cruise. We took this cruise in June and the sports platform was available every day except the day we were in port at Raiatea. There were rafts to float on (can't remember if they were big enough for two) and you could snorkel. I believe you could paddle board too. They even let a guy ski!