Convicted felon cruising?

Grits53

I have a friend who would like to cruise, but he's not sure that he can get a passport and/or cruise to different countries. He was convicted of a felony and served his time. I think there was a gun involved in the robbery that he was convicted of, but no one was hurt. He was only 17 when this happened, and it was a long, long time ago. Can anyone tell me if this will prevent him from having a passport and/or cruising? Thanks.

I believe that as long as he is not still on parole, and has had his civil rights restored (that varies by State, so I don't know), he will be eligible for a passport.

It also depends on the nature of the crime, whether a particular country will let him IN. Mostly I think they are concerned about people with serious drug offenses. That would have to be taken up with the consulates of the intended destinations, but again, as a general rule, long ago felons, not currently on parole or anything are unlikely to be on another countries watch list.

Hi Grit53,

Why not just have your friend apply for the passport. If he has served his time, he certainly has nothing to worry about. If they give him a passport; Terrific! If they don't, then he has a problem (but it hasn't cost him much to find that out.)

In terms of other countries: I have been to quite a few other countries in the Western Hemisphere and in Europe and all they seem interested in is if I have a passport. If he gets to a port that refuses entrance due to his felony conviction, then just enjoy the ship.

Best advise to be sure: don't listen to us idiots on forums and check with a qualified representative of the countries to be visited or an attorney.

Good luck,

Richard

I know that Canadians who have a conviction on their record (even for things like DUI) can easily get a passport. However, the USA can/will deny them entry. It is best to check with the customs/border officials for the countries that you will be visiting.

I know that Canadians who have a conviction on their record (even for things like DUI) can easily get a passport. However, the USA can/will deny them entry. It is best to check with the customs/border officials for the countries that you will be visiting.

It is the same in reverse.....there have been US citizens who have been convicted of drunk driving who cannot get into Canada either because of the conviction.

A quick call to the passport issuing office would answer his question. I hope he does get to cruise, he committed the crime almost 25 years ago, served his time, and if he's been a "good boy" since then, should be able to take a vacation.

Hey, Rochesterboatingdotcom, we dock our boat in Roch., the canal is out our back door, and we're closely affiliated with Braddocks. Just wanted to say hi. :)

I would also just ask what the clerk at the Post Office where you apply for the passport thinks. They seem to be experts on this and could give you a quick answer. They would let you know if it is worth spending the almost $100 or not. Good luck!!!

Hey, Rochesterboatingdotcom, we dock our boat in Roch., the canal is out our back door, and we're closely affiliated with Braddocks. Just wanted to say hi. :)

Hi Glama!

We loved Braddocks when we docked there, we moved to Buffalo in 2002, so we are now on the canal in Gasport. We still have quite a few boating friends in Rochester. (do we know you??)

What did you think of the Legend, Jane and I are set to sail on her in March..

Take care.

I know in Canada that after a given number of years one can apply for a pardon that will espunge a criminal record that is years old. If they give you this pardon then it is as if you never had the record.

Maybe they have a similar program in the US!??

Well... instead of asking a bunch of people on this board who likely can not give you a correct answer because most will be guessing, why not just apply for a passport.

If he is approved for a passport, then you have your answer. If he is not... well... then you have your answer anyway.

Best of luck! :)

Well... instead of asking a bunch of people on this board who likely can not give you a correct answer because most will be guessing, why not just apply for a passport.

If he is approved for a passport, then you have your answer. If he is not... well... then you have your answer anyway.

Best of luck! :)

Your logic is flawed. It is your own government that issues you a passport, and the government of the country in which you seek entry that may or may not deny you. Just because you have a passport is no guarantee of entry into a country - any country.

In Canada, you need a guarantor (a person who currenly holds a valid passport) to sign your photo and your passport application. I have acted as a guarantor for someone who has a Canadian criminal record (MJ possession, weapons possession and an assortment of DUI). I know he was given a passport, but he is farily certain that he would be denied entry in the USA. Therefore, he books direct flights to Mexico, and prays that there are no mechanical or other issues that would necessitate the plane making an emergency landing in the US.

Your logic is flawed. I know he was given a passport, but he is farily certain that he would be denied entry in the USA.

I think your argument is clearly flawed.

"Fairly certain"...? What does that mean? Sounds like it means you or your friend do not know... but are guessing.

Have your friend attempt to gain access to the USA and then... and only then... state you know what you are speaking of once you find out if he's allowed in... or if he get's denied access.

I know in Canada that after a given number of years one can apply for a pardon that will espunge a criminal record that is years old. If they give you this pardon then it is as if you never had the record.

The pardons only work for domestic purposes in both the U.S. and Canada. If one wants to travel to the other country and the border officials have information, is it not expunged by a pardon. The remedy for anyone in this situation is the officials of the country you wish to enter must be contacted. Both of our nations have a process set up for this. If in doubt it is wise to check the official websites and/or consult a lawyer who specializes in this kind of work.

Admitedly it's a little harder on our American friends as a simple DUI (no accident, no one hurt etc.) conviction is enough to keep you out of Canada, should the customs inspectors get snarky at the border. This is a misdemeanor in the States but the equivalent of a felony in Canada.

I think your argument is clearly flawed.

Fairly certain...? What does that mean? Sounds like it means you or your friend do not know... but are guessing.

Have your friend attempt to gain access to the USA and then... and only then... state you know what you are speaking ofonce you find out if he's allowed in... or if he get's denied access.

Uh, right.

My friend has not attempted to gain access to the USA. However, he has acquaintances with similar convictions, who have been denied access. He also has other acquaintances with similar convictions who have not been denied access. It is a gamble, subject to the whims of the customs official you meet. Being hassled at customs is something most people try to avoid where ever possible.

Your friend needs to check with his probation officer. Ife he/ she is still on probation, it may be a violation of prob. to leave the country. If he/ she shceks in with the PO, they will be able to direct him/ her. I dont think they will have a problem getting a passport or getting onto a ship, however, I have heard of people getting arrested getting off the ship for violating prob.

The US does not have the pardon program to allow non-immigrants or even immigrants into the US who have been convicted of a crime.

keep in mind Martha Stewart was denied entry into Canada for her conviction.

the prior poster is correct, its not so much if you can get a passport (which is determined by state department) but whether or not the countries you are visiting will let you in and most of that is determined by what the conviction was for as there are waivers. Canada is one of the toughest countries to enter if you are a felon. if the crimes are not related to drug/human smuggling, crimes of moral turpitude, conspiracy, etc they may waive entry denial.

apply for the passport as you are going to need one to go just about anywhere from now on regardless of how your cross the border. you may want to check with the cruise line as well. Something this important I would seek the advice from the state department directly and not depend on cc posters.

good luck

Archived