WDW Tragedy

e2011

I wonder how this will impact park and related cruise attendance? I always assumed the Disney brand meant safety for children. Now with this and the past issues on the cruise ships it makes you wonder.

I'm not sure if the alligator attack will drastically affect park attendance. From what I have heard on the news the child went into the water despite the warning signs that say no swimming. Tragic, yes. Some families may not want to travel, especially in the wake of the shooting at pulse.

But given that people who are planning on coming already spent thousands of dollars in tickets, and airfare. I doubt many will cancel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It will have no effect whatsoever except for one thing, what I call DSDS (Disney Safety Derangement Syndrome).

Based purely on reputation, people have this perception that nothing bad can happen at Disney parks (or on cruise ships for that matter) and therefore do things they would not normally do anywhere else on the planet. Just look at what people leave on unattended strollers for example, or the 'my kid is on a ship, where could they go' attitudes I am sure people have seen.

This incident may prompt some people to be more diligent, but most people already knew that it probably wasn't a good idea to go near dark water marked no swimming in Florida...

(I do feel bad for the parents, but I reserve the right to comment upon a lack of common sense)

It will have no effect whatsoever except for one thing, what I call DSDS (Disney Safety Derangement Syndrome).

Based purely on reputation, people have this perception that nothing bad can happen at Disney parks (or on cruise ships for that matter) and therefore do things they would not normally do anywhere else on the planet. Just look at what people leave on unattended strollers for example, or the 'my kid is on a ship, where could they go' attitudes I am sure people have seen.

This incident may prompt some people to be more diligent, but most people already knew that it probably wasn't a good idea to go near dark water marked no swimming in Florida...

(I do feel bad for the parents, but I reserve the right to comment upon a lack of common sense)

Thats a good point. You are right about people doing things on the ship that they don;t do at home like letting their young children just run around the ship unattended. I remember not long ago that cost a child his life when he drowned in the cruise ship pool. As far as this case in all fairness to the parents they are from Nebraska. They know nothing about alligators and there are no signs that warn for gators or poisonous snakes which are also in the lagoon. In fact Disney has built beaches on this lake and only say "no swimming." The guy was standing right next to the boy in 12 inches of water when the gator made his move. I have lived in Florida my whole life and folks don't realize how fast they attack. I saw a gator take a guys dog who was drinking pond water and the whole attack took a total of maybe 2 seconds and the dog was gone. Disney should not have beaches on this lake which invite people to wade in the water. They also should have warning signs about gators and snakes. In this case I would say Disney will be crucified in court but they wont let it go that far. They will (and should) just write the check. What a tragedy.

As far as this case in all fairness to the parents they are from Nebraska. They know nothing about alligators and there are no signs that warn for gators or poisonous snakes which are also in the lagoon. In fact Disney has built beaches on this lake and only say "no swimming."

And what does being from Nebraska have to do with being able to read a sign? My first trip to Disney World was when my daughter was three. We traveled down from Maryland.

One afternoon when she and her father were napping, I took a walk by one of the lakes near the Disney hotel we were staying in. I was surprised to see big, frequent signs that warned of alligators and no swimming. I took the signs to heart and would not even take that path near the water when with my daughter.

Any Disney hotel that I stayed in that was near the water had the same signs.

And what does being from Nebraska have to do with being able to read a sign? My first trip to Disney World was when my daughter was three. We traveled down from Maryland.

One afternoon when she and her father were napping, I took a walk by one of the lakes near the Disney hotel we were staying in. I was surprised to see big, frequent signs that warned of alligators and no swimming. I took the signs to heart and would not even take that path near the water when with my daughter.

Any Disney hotel that I stayed in that was near the water had the same signs.

Watch the news. They have shown the only signs at the Grand Floridian about 100 times. All they say is "No Swimming" Its been the major conversation in the media why the signs only say "No Swimming". And I can only say in my 10+ trips to WDW every year for the last 15 years, I have never seen an alligator warning sign at any of the resort beaches. Lots of No Swimming signs.

Edited by e2011

He might have thought that they were safe because they weren't "swimming". I haven't stayed on property but have stayed at the Marriott vacation clubs that have similar lakes and signs. I don't go near the water and don't even like walking on paths without being extra cautious. But, many people don't see the danger. It is rare for anything to happen, but when it does happen it is deadly and very sad. My prayers and thoughts are with the family. I can't imagine what they're going through.

I too don't understand the purpose of a beach where you can't even wade in the water. My son wanted to sit on the one at the Marriott and I said no. My husband thought I was being a little extreme but now he sees why. You can always have sand and then have the water blocked by some form of large rocks etc. Then it's a little more obvious that you aren't supposed to wade in the water.

He might have thought that they were safe because they weren't "swimming". I haven't stayed on property but have stayed at the Marriott vacation clubs that have similar lakes and signs. I don't go near the water and don't even like walking on paths without being extra cautious. But, many people don't see the danger. It is rare for anything to happen, but when it does happen it is deadly and very sad. My prayers and thoughts are with the family. I can't imagine what they're going through.

I too don't understand the purpose of a beach where you can't even wade in the water. My son wanted to sit on the one at the Marriott and I said no. My husband thought I was being a little extreme but now he sees why. You can always have sand and then have the water blocked by some form of large rocks etc. Then it's a little more obvious that you aren't supposed to wade in the water.[/quote

Very sad indeed. You were very smart to not let your child sit on the rocks. Disney unfortunately makes the sandy beach very inviting for kids to wade in the water. And I want to add to my previous post. A CC poster said she saw Alligator signs at Disney and as I suspected she was a bit confused because Disney has no such signs. Lestor Holtz literally just reported on the NBC News a few minutes ago that Disney confirmed they have no Alligator or Snake warning signs on any of their resort beaches. And they are "reviewing their policy"

The guy was standing right next to the boy in 12 inches of water when the gator made his move.

No doubt that this is a tragedy and we all have to feel for the parents. I will note that we still don't know exactly what happened and some reports are suggesting that the child was out in the water 10 feet away from shore. If that was the case, it certainly paints a different picture. But I haven't seen a detailed enough account from an official source.

No doubt that this is a tragedy and we all have to feel for the parents. I will note that we still don't know exactly what happened and some reports are suggesting that the child was out in the water 10 feet away from shore. If that was the case, it certainly paints a different picture. But I haven't seen a detailed enough account from an official source.

Agreed. I only know what the Orange County Sheriff said today which is the boy was in 12 inches of water wading in the lake and watching the beach movie.

Agreed. I only know what the Orange County Sheriff said today which is the boy was in 12 inches of water wading in the lake and watching the beach movie.

And there are differing accounts on that point too. Some have said the move was over, so who knows.

My first trip to Florida as an adult was to Gainsville. When I checked into the hotel, they warned me to "check the pool for alligators before you swim." Yes, as a northerner, I was quite shocked. I could easily see that the pool was fenced and had a large cement patio before you got to the water. And based on that warning, I didn't go anywhere near it!

True, perhaps the family had no idea why there were "No swimming" signs. But I would interpret "no swimming" to mean "don't go in the water."

Yes, I'm sorry for the family. And all I know is news reports which may or may not be accurate. They did say that personnel had captured and relocated 4 alligators from the lagoon and that all beaches at WDW are closed.

As to whether this will affect sales at WDW or DCL--I don't think so.

They should add sings about alligators. I'm pretty sure the Marriott actually had signs saying alligators. They also had a picture of one in one of their lakes on their website for Cypress Harbour or Grande Vista - I'm not sure which. That was enough to keep me far away from their "beach".

It was like saying "we are a nice property and offer many amenities, but be careful - this is Florida."

They should add sings about alligators. I'm pretty sure the Marriott actually had signs saying alligators. They also had a picture of one in one of their lakes on their website for Cypress Harbour or Grande Vista - I'm not sure which. That was enough to keep me far away from their "beach".

It was like saying "we are a nice property and offer many amenities, but be careful - this is Florida."

According to the pretty thorough legal analysis of the potential liability at the link below, Florida courts have held in past alligator attacks that swimmers' ignoring 'No Swimming" signs were fully liable for their own injuries. Still, the article is careful to note that all of these situations are very fact specific and there are a number of variables.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/opinions/hotels-may-avoid-liability-alligator-attack-danny-cevallos/

The main reason for the no swimming signs is that the water is not treated for swimming (its the same water the ferries go thru and also get some sewage and fertilizer runoff...). Casual exposure like on a small boat is okay, but not immersion and not ingestion Theres also a minor risk of Naegeria parasite exposure, among other fun things. The actual risk of alligators is quite small as evidenced by the fact this is the first incident at Disney I can recall in the 40 years I have been going, so signs warning of Alligators were not an obvious need (apparently they found 5 alligators during the search, which for a body of water that size is negligible).

Now, its a fair argument that building beaches adjacent to a non-swimming area sends mixed messages, and that's something that Disney will have to address at some point.

There's no one at fault here for this specific incident as far as I can tell. There was a lack of common sense in taking a toddler into dark water late at night marked no swimming just on general principle, even if alligators weren't a specific concern, but like I said, people seem to develop a 'what could go wrong' attitude, especially at Disney where they take risks they otherwise wouldn't.

Legalities aside, from a PR and just general humanitarian standpoint, I am certain Disney will work something out with the family. Sadly, I also guarantee you that two years from now, absent changes to the beach structure (which aren't warranted given the relative lack of incidents overall) or signage (which probably will be added strictly from a legal standpoint), go on the beach after the movie and you will see a father and toddler standing in the water at some point.

My first trip to Florida as an adult was to Gainsville. When I checked into the hotel' date=' they warned me to "check the pool for alligators before you swim." Yes, as a northerner, I was quite shocked. I could easily see that the pool was fenced and had a large cement patio before you got to the water. And based on that warning, I didn't go anywhere near it!

True, perhaps the family had no idea why there were "No swimming" signs. But I would interpret "no swimming" to mean "don't go in the water."

Yes, I'm sorry for the family. And all I know is news reports which may or may not be accurate. They did say that personnel had captured and relocated 4 alligators from the lagoon and that all beaches at WDW are closed.

As to whether this will affect sales at WDW or DCL--I don't think so.[/quote']

My friend works for FWP. As of tonight they have caputured 5 gators but they are not relocating them. Sad for the gators that had nothing to do with this. Its not a relocation its an extermination but it has to be done to appease the public and collect potential evidence.

Edited by e2011

The main reason for the no swimming signs is that the water is not treated for swimming (its the same water the ferries go thru and also get some sewage and fertilizer runoff...). Casual exposure like on a small boat is okay, but not immersion and not ingestion Theres also a minor risk of Nigeria parasite exposure, among other fun things. The actual risk of alligators is quite small as evidenced by the fact this is the first incident at Disney I can recall in the 40 years I have been going, so signs warning of Alligators were not an obvious need (apparently they found 5 alligators during the search, which for a body of water that size is negligible).

Now, its a fair argument that building beaches adjacent to a non-swimming area sends mixed messages, and that's something that Disney will have to address at some point.

There's no one at fault here for this specific incident as far as I can tell. There was a lack of common sense in taking a toddler into dark water late at night marked no swimming just on general principle, even if alligators weren't a specific concern, but like I said, people seem to develop a 'what could go wrong' attitude, especially at Disney where they take risks they otherwise wouldn't.

Legalities aside, from a PR and just general humanitarian standpoint, I am certain Disney will work something out with the family. Sadly, I also guarantee you that two years from now, absent changes to the beach structure (which aren't warranted given the relative lack of incidents overall) or signage (which probably will be added strictly from a legal standpoint), go on the beach after the movie and you will see a father and toddler standing in the water at some point.

Naegleria fowleri, colloquially known as the "brain-eating amoeba" is in every fresh water pond in Florida. A young boy died from this at the old Disney water park at Fort Wilderness. That is not the reason they closed that water park but it did happen. After that is when they posted the No swimming signs around the lake. I am sure they had alligators in mind but the main reasons were the amoeba and the fear of a boat running over a swimmer and the fact that the water is just plain nasty full of other non-leathel bacteria and chemicals that can give you an expensive dermatologist bill. As has been said, they never had a gator attack at Disney so due to the laws of probability it was going to happen eventually. It is very sad and shocking. Disney will not want this to go to court. They will just write the big check and put it behind them. Hopefully since this story has captured the nation, future visitors will not go near the water. Its a lose-lose situation.

Edited by e2011

My friend works for FWP. As of tonight they have caputured 5 gators but they are not relocating them. Sad for the gators that had nothing to do with this. Its not a relocation its an extermination but it has to be done to appease the public and collect potential evidence.

Correct, they didn't relocate them. They killed them and slit them open looking for remains.

I'm from the upper Midwest and I know about alligators. Just because they are from Nebraska doesn't mean they didn't know anything about them. But they probably thought that because they were at Disney, they were safe. I feel awful for the parents and sister and mostly for little Lane. What a horrifying way to die.

I suspect we will see bulk heads and fencing around the hotel areas on the Seven Seas Lagoon. It could easily be made to look like a board walk.

The beach area for Wilderness lodge already has a small bulk head.

I am not sure what WDW would do for the Fort Wilderness campground since there is canals running thru it.

I'm from the landlocked prairies and know nothing of alligators. I wouldn't have interpreted a "no swimming" sign to mean "keep the @#$! away from here, there might be alligators".

A horrific traffic tragedy, to be sure, but I'm not sure tourists understand the alligator danger particularly in an urban setting.

I live close to bear country (some years ago we actually had a bear wander into a city hospital), and we are often amazed by how unaware tourists are of bears. Leaving food in tents, even trying to feed bears, trying to get close to a bear for a good picture.

Nowhere in the world - even Disney - is free of danger. It will still be on our list of favourite places to visit, but I'm definitely boning up on how to avoid alligator attacks.

Wait, what? Naegeria parasite exposure - "brain-eating amoeba"? Damn you rugged Floridian survivalists, each day must be a battle to live.

Edited by CanadianDee

I'm from the landlocked prairies and know nothing of alligators. I wouldn't have interpreted a "no swimming" sign to mean "keep the @#$! away from here, there might be alligators".

A horrific traffic tragedy, to be sure, but I'm not sure tourists understand the alligator danger particularly in an urban setting.

I live close to bear country (some years ago we actually had a bear wander into a city hospital), and we are often amazed by how unaware tourists are of bears. Leaving food in tents, even trying to feed bears, trying to get close to a bear for a good picture.

Nowhere in the world - even Disney - is free of danger. It will still be on our list of favourite places to visit, but I'm definitely boning up on how to avoid alligator attacks.

Wait, what? Naegeria parasite exposure - "brain-eating amoeba"? Damn you rugged Floridian survivalists, each day must be a battle to live.

LOL.. Yes it is exciting. I may be mistaken but I think we have one of every species or sub species of poisonous snakes and Alligators, Pythons, wild bore, Brown recluse and Black Widow spiders and of course the amoeba. I will also give honorable mention to the African Killer Bees and Fire Ants. They typically don't kill people but it has happened. You gotta be tough to live in Florida. By the way the last person bit by a Cotton Mouth was at he Marriott World Center hotel in Orlando. Poor tourist was walking out by the garden on the path when he stepped on what he thought was a stick. It was actually the tail of a Cotton Mouth who was hiding in the bushes. That poor guy had to have numerous anti venom shots. He wont be back to Florida anytime soon!

Edited by e2011

As a born and raised Floridian living the majority of my life just an hour south of WDW, I can tell you that Gator attacks are a very rare occurrence, and fatalities are rarer still. So far in my 46 years I have not been confronted by a gator, thank goodness, and if so in the future I will try to get away from it as quickly as possible.

Just be aware of your surroundings, don't wade into lakes, canals and ponds that you aren't familiar with (gators can be anywhere, especially with all the rain we have had in the last few months), and please DO NOT feed the gators!

edit: Just read this interesting stat: your chances of being attacked by a gator unprovoked are 1 in 2.4 million.

Edited by carterd2002

I think by all accounts anyone traveling to Florida should already have the common sense to know to watch for gators anywhere near water in the entire state. I have even been told to watch out for them when making stops at rest areas. While their attacks aren't common, they can and do happen.

I too equate no swimming, with don't be in the water.

I have a trip to Disney in August and no plans to change it.

Truly it is very sad, and also disappointing too for someone to say Disney just needs to write the check. Gone are the days of common sense and people being responsible for their own actions.

I think by all accounts anyone traveling to Florida should already have the common sense to know to watch for gators anywhere near water in the entire state. I have even been told to watch out for them when making stops at rest areas. While their attacks aren't common, they can and do happen.

I too equate no swimming, with don't be in the water.

I have a trip to Disney in August and no plans to change it.

Truly it is very sad, and also disappointing too for someone to say Disney just needs to write the check. Gone are the days of common sense and people being responsible for their own actions.

Wow.

I would not interpret a "no swimming" sign as "beware of alligators". I was just at a resort in So. Carolina that had signs that said "Avoid lagoon, may be alligators."

I feel very badly for this family and their tragedy. It's a sad reminder that you can never know what life has in store for you.