Safety Issues on DCL Ships?

RJake1

I saw someone refer to 'past issues on cruise ships' in reference to Disney cruises. The poster was referring to safety. Does anyone have any information? Were there incidents of harm to guests on DCL ships?

I saw someone refer to 'past issues on cruise ships' in reference to Disney cruises. The poster was referring to safety. Does anyone have any information? Were there incidents of harm to guests on DCL ships?

A "past issue" could be anything from poor dining room servers to lack of support for emergency evacuation.

Hard to say.

"Safety" could mean someone slipped on the pool deck and sprained an ankle, or some one may have been assaulted while onboard. Or someone's child went missing. Or someone has been drinking too much.

No way of knowing, unless the poster you're referring to can clear up what they are talking about.

I've never had any issues (safety or otherwise) on a Disney ship, or any other cruise line that I've been on, to date.

Could you share where you saw this or a link?

It would help everyone describe or explain what you have read!

ex techie

Sadly, Disney Cruise Line is not immune to the problems other cruise lines have. In 2013 a child nearly drowned on the Disney Fantasy and suffered permanent brain damage. According to a Google search, in 2015 an 11 year old girl on the Disney Magic was sexually assaulted. In April 2014 and August of 2012 two girls were molested on the the Disney Dream. Bottom line is you have to watch your children at all times. Do not assume since it is a Disney cruise, nothing bad can happen. It can and it does. Just use the same common sense you use on land.

Edited by e2011

Sadly, Disney Cruise Line is not immune to the problems other cruise lines have. In 2013 a child nearly drowned on the Disney Fantasy and suffered permanent brain damage. According to a Google search, in 2015 an 11 year old girl on the Disney Magic was sexually assaulted. In April 2014 and August of 2012 two girls were molested on the the Disney Dream. Bottom line is you have to watch your children at all times. Do not assume since it is a Disney cruise, nothing bad can happen. It can and it does. Just use the same common sense you use on land.

Maybe they should post some fences and signs warning to use common sense at all times and never leave your child to roam around in case of rogue DCL crew members? ;)

ex techie

Maybe they should post some fences and signs warning to use common sense at all times and never leave your child to roam around in case of rogue DCL crew members? ;)

ex techie

As dumbed down as our current society is thats not a bad idea. You should suggest that to Disney Cruise Lines!

For every incident that makes the news, there are many more that the press never hears of. Bottom line--"parent" is also a verb. Responsibility doesn't end when you are on vacation. Whether the "incident" is relatively minor or much more significant, most wouldn't happen if parents were supervising their children OR having them in the secure programming. It is the kids roaming the ship on their own or in a pack that seem to get into trouble.

I'm aware of incidents during cruises that I was sailing on of a teen who jumped off the Magic while in port (the area he accessed has since been sealed off), an older teen who assaulted at least two teenage girls, an incident of throwing furniture off a balcony, (this family was assessed $10K for damages to the suite and permanently banned from DCL), lots of instances of kids having alcohol, etc. I've also witnessed at least 2 injuries, one which resulted in hospitalization and a couple of medical evacuations.

On a more positive side....there was the cruise where the Wonder rescued an idiot who jumped/fell overboard from a Carnival ship (videos on line are worth seeing), picking up people from a refugee boat, characters visiting children's hospitals, etc. So there is positive news of DCL.

Edited by moki'smommy

On a more positive side....there was the cruise where the Wonder rescued an idiot who jumped/fell overboard from a Carnival ship (videos on line are worth seeing)' date=' picking up people from a refugee boat, characters visiting children's hospitals, etc. So there is positive news of DCL.[/quote']

Yes indeed. Disney does many things to support community and family.

Two years ago a Disney officer attacked a young girl before the ship left port. He was removed in Nassau?

The thing is anything can happen on any cruise line. Adults need to watch your children and not let them run amuck. Stay safe and have a great trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Two years ago a Disney officer attacked a young girl before the ship left port. He was removed in Nassau?

The thing is anything can happen on any cruise line. Adults need to watch your children and not let them run amuck. Stay safe and have a great trip.

That was a waiter, not an officer.

I believe this was a food service worker, not an officer. Obviously, the crew member was totally at fault in this situation. But had the girl not been out and about alone, it would have been much less likely to have happened.

I am not placing any blame on the young lady or her parents/grandparents. Again, be smart and be safe. Two people together are safer than one. Educate the kids in advance to some basic rules--don't go into anyone's cabin and don't allow anyone into your cabin, especially if you are alone. Be sure they know how to reach their responsible adult while on the ship. It's a short list, but an important one.

That was a waiter, not an officer.

You are right Chief.

I think deborahjo is confusing the costume of the waiter who was wearing the welcome aboard costume that looks similar to an officers costume.

They really should change it.

052-2%20small(1).jpg

ex techie

LOL! I not a "legal type". I am in sales. (Boy you sure look silly now!) Whipping up hysteria and apportioning blame? That post made me laugh with a mouth full of hot coffee. I must sue you now. You are liable for making me laugh with hot coffee in my mouth!

You think I look silly now, after you posted

When I say Disney is responsible I am only looking at from a potential jury trial in a litigation. I have some experience in this area.

From a pure legal perspective, I have already addressed that issue.

You either have intentionally misled or overstated your legal experience in this area to myself and others into believing you work or have worked in the legal field, or posted garbage with no real knowledge of the legalities of what might happen.

Which is it e2011?

ex techie

You should maybe also look into this FL law.

https://www.animallaw.info/case/hanrahan-v-hometown-america-llc

Generally speaking, in Florida, the law does not require the owner or possessor of land to anticipate the presence of or guard an invitee against harm from animals Ferae naturae unless such owner or possessor has reduced the animals to possession, harbors such animals, or has introduced onto his premises wild animals not indigenous to the locality.

You either have intentionally misled or overstated your legal experience in this area to myself and others into believing you work or have worked in the legal field, or posted garbage with no real knowledge of the legalities of what might happen.

Which is it e2011?

ex techie

https://www.animallaw.info/case/hanrahan-v-hometown-america-llc[/quote

In the course of doing my civic duty I have served on 4 juries in Florida district court , 3 of which were bodily injury cases. One was a death liability. I learned a lot about this area of the law. I think you have beat this topic to death. Can we move on or are you going to subject all of us on this board to more of your ramblings? I will bet you are the type of person who has to get the last word... Let's see

Edited by e2011

Which is it e2011?

ex techie

https://www.animallaw.info/case/hanrahan-v-hometown-america-llc[/quote

In the course of doing my civic duty I have served on 4 juries in Florida district court , 3 of which were bodily injury cases. One was a death liability. I learned a lot about this area of the law. I think you have beat this topic to death. Can we move on or are you going to subject all of us on this board to more of your ramblings? I will bet you are the type of person who has to get the last word... Let's see

Yes. Yes I am.

And you started the WDW Tragedy thread and brought it to the cruise forum.

ex techie

I think you have beat this topic to death. Can we move on or are you going to subject all of us on this board to more of your ramblings? I will bet you are the type of person who has to get the last word... Let's see

There really was no need to post discouraging remarks towards me e2011.

After all, you brought the subject to the fore, on a discussion forum.

All it shows it shows is your lack of tolerance for others of differing opinions, and those that believe what you have written, and follow that belief to only find out you have over exaggerated your experience, that you then feel the need to insult another members posts and attack them.

I think this shows the type of person you are.

ex techie

Look, I'm not a moderator but can't the two of you leave the off-topic sniping out of a thread about generic safety issues and take them to PMs?

Firstly, I would gladly, if only CC had a PM facility.

I'm surprised that as a member since 2005 you are not aware of that?

Secondly,

The OP started 2 threads. both slightly odd questions, answered in one, and has yet to even explain what they mean by safety issues, in what context, or where they read it.

And Iceman, at least I didn't mention those pesky "Imagineers" until now.

ex techie

Firstly, I would gladly, if only CC had a PM facility.

I'm surprised that as a member since 2005 you are not aware of that?

Secondly,

The OP started 2 threads. both slightly odd questions, answered in one, and has yet to even explain what they mean by safety issues, in what context, or where they read it.

And Iceman, at least I didn't mention those pesky "Imagineers" until now.

ex techie

Lay off and stop being that guy.