First timer DCL w/ random questions

Rebates

Hello,

My first post on Cruise Critic :) I've been lurking here for the past few weeks reading the wealth of information. We're super excited to be on the 3 night Bahamian on Disney Dream sailing July 1. We're first timer on DCL and novice cruisers (only been on 1 previous cruise on RCCL 3 yrs ago).

I have some random questions and would appreciate answers from experienced DCL cruisers here.

Here goes:

1) We booked the cruise very late (in early June) and currently we're assigned the 2nd dinner seating. We have a 6-yr old and 1-yr old so we prefer the earlier seating. I called DCL and asked to be put on waiting list, however as of today it's still showing second seating.

I've read so many good stories about the MDR's and wouldn't want to miss them. So if we don't get the switch, we'll try to make it work. However, the 1 yr old will already be napping at that time. I'm wondering if we put him on a stroller (lightweight travel stroller), will it be possible to bring the stroller and park it by our table in the MDR?

2) Is the 2nd dinner sitting service going to be slower? My thinking is with the 1st seating, the wait staff has a "hard deadline" to clear the table and prepare for the next seating. But with the 2nd seating, they have more leeway if the service drags on. Is it true?

I read a recent review where the reviewer said that the dining room was packed and service was slow. IIRC they had a daughter who would like to participate in the "dine and play", but the daughter didn't get her food until almost 9pm, which was the time to meet the counselors. Given that our cruise is probably going to be a full house, I'm worried we'll run into similar experience.

3) I've done the online check in and our port arrival time is 12 - 12:15 pm. They said please arrive during the scheduled time as you might not be allowed to enter the terminal if you arrive outside this time. But do they really enforce that? I suppose we'd like to arrive earlier (~11am) so we can board the ship earlier too. Will they make us wait until 12pm?

And if we can check in at 11am, will we get to board the ship earlier (as opposed to check in at 12pm)?

4) What time does the fireworks or pirate show start? If we're on the 2nd dinner seating, will we miss the fireworks or show?

That's it for now.

Thanks very much for any responses!

Hello,

My first post on Cruise Critic :) I've been lurking here for the past few weeks reading the wealth of information. We're super excited to be on the 3 night Bahamian on Disney Dream sailing July 1. We're first timer on DCL and novice cruisers (only been on 1 previous cruise on RCCL 3 yrs ago).

I have some random questions and would appreciate answers from experienced DCL cruisers here.

Here goes:

1) We booked the cruise very late (in early June) and currently we're assigned the 2nd dinner seating. We have a 6-yr old and 1-yr old so we prefer the earlier seating. I called DCL and asked to be put on waiting list, however as of today it's still showing second seating.

I've read so many good stories about the MDR's and wouldn't want to miss them. So if we don't get the switch, we'll try to make it work. However, the 1 yr old will already be napping at that time. I'm wondering if we put him on a stroller (lightweight travel stroller), will it be possible to bring the stroller and park it by our table in the MDR?

2) Is the 2nd dinner sitting service going to be slower? My thinking is with the 1st seating, the wait staff has a "hard deadline" to clear the table and prepare for the next seating. But with the 2nd seating, they have more leeway if the service drags on. Is it true?

I read a recent review where the reviewer said that the dining room was packed and service was slow. IIRC they had a daughter who would like to participate in the "dine and play", but the daughter didn't get her food until almost 9pm, which was the time to meet the counselors. Given that our cruise is probably going to be a full house, I'm worried we'll run into similar experience.

3) I've done the online check in and our port arrival time is 12 - 12:15 pm. They said please arrive during the scheduled time as you might not be allowed to enter the terminal if you arrive outside this time. But do they really enforce that? I suppose we'd like to arrive earlier (~11am) so we can board the ship earlier too. Will they make us wait until 12pm?

And if we can check in at 11am, will we get to board the ship earlier (as opposed to check in at 12pm)?

4) What time does the fireworks or pirate show start? If we're on the 2nd dinner seating, will we miss the fireworks or show?

That's it for now.

Thanks very much for any responses!

1) I'd suggest calling DCL a couple of times prior to your cruise to "confirm" that you are on the wait list. If you still have late seating when you check in at the port (it'll be noted on your Key to the World card what your seating is), check the Navigator you get in the terminal for where/when the dining changes are being handled and go there immediately to make the request again. Most times this will work. Sometimes it doesn't. If it's really a burden to go to second seating, you can always either feed the little one early and leave him/her in the nursery for dinnertime.

I believe you can't bring strollers into the Dream class dining rooms (much more limited space).

2) I really find not much difference in the service speed between main and second seating. Yes, there's a time limit on the main seating, but second seating takes the same, unless your table just seems to run slow. Just let your servers know that your child is participating in the Dine & Play option, and you should have no problem.

3) The terminal opens at 10:30, with boarding beginning around 11:15-11:30 with the announcement of boarding for Concierge guests. Then boarding numbers are called. You receive your boarding number when you check in at the port, and it's tied to your Port Arrival Time you selected. Once the boarding number being announced catches up with the one being issued at check in, Open Boarding is announced. Anyone holding any board number may board. This typically is about 12:30-12:45. If you arrive at your PAT, you'll probably check in immediately and will board right away.

4) On the Dream there are 2 pirate shows. One between the dinner seatings that's family friendly (Mickey and friends). And a 2d show after the second dinner seating (about 9:45) that's more Jack Sparrow type characters, followed by the fireworks.

Edited by Shmoo here

3) The terminal opens at 10:30, with boarding beginning around 11:15-11:30 with the announcement of boarding for Concierge guests. Then boarding numbers are called. You receive your boarding number when you check in at the port, and it's tied to your Port Arrival Time you selected. Once the boarding number being announced catches up with the one being issued at check in, Open Boarding is announced. Anyone holding any board number may board. This typically is about 12:30-12:45. If you arrive at your PAT, you'll probably check in immediately and will board right away.

A little further discussion on this - you'll get the same boarding number whether you check in at 10:40 or 2:00. By arriving at your selected PAT, you'll probably go directly through check in and board pretty quickly thereafter.

1) We've seen plenty of strollers on the Dream. THey will simply remove the high chair and allow you to park the stroller at the child's spot at the table.

Be sure that if your KTTW card still shows late dining that you go to the location for "Dining Changes" as noted on the Welcome Aboard Navigator (typically it is in Royal Palace, but things do change from time to time) and ask if you can be moved after boarding.

2) No, second seating isn't slower, but some servers are slower than others. It will generally go more quickly if it is just your family and you arrive on time--that way you don't have to wait for another family who might be late! Tell the server on night 1 that you want to do Dine and Play and that you want the child's food ASAP. If the service is slow, talk to the head server!

3)You will get the same boarding number regardless of when you arrive--it is tied to your PAT. The difference will be how much time you spend waiting in the terminal. If you arrive at 11, it is possible that you'll be required to wait outside for 15 minutes or so, depending on how crowded the terminal is with others who also showed up early. The fire marshal has a limit for how many people can be in the building. Once boarding starts, people move from the building to the ship, so no more waiting. That's typically around 11:15.

4) You will not miss any of the pirate festivities--they are times so both dinner seatings can get there. However, you won't be hungry for the buffet if you have late seating!

A hint - one you will probably ignore but I'll try anyway . . .

I suppose we'd like to arrive earlier (~11am) so we can board the ship earlier too.

You and 95% of the other folks boarding for the same trip ..... therein lay the problem .... EVERYONE can not be first . . .

AND sometimes things happen .....

Just a few weeks ago I was taking son and DIL to the port for their 10th Disney cruise. We had lunch at Grills and had no plans to arrive 'til after 12:30 to avoid the "me first" crowd.

Good thing, while eating lunch I checked and boarding was being delayed for at least 2 hours due to "an issue" ..... so we stayed at Grills and had a lil more libation (as driver I of course had iced tea) rather than being stuck in - or worse, outside of - the terminal . . .

We arrived after 1:30pm and they pretty much walked straight on board .....

just sayin' . . . .

When boarding is delayed, SOMETIMES DCL will send a blanket e-mail to those guests who have registered an e-mail address. So checking in your e-mail may help.

Also, the boards frequently will have chatter about any problems.

Captain BJ may have another way, but these often work. Boarding delays don't happen often, but they are a pain when they do!

in regards to Dine and Play, if you tell your server that you have your child being picked up at 915, they fast pass your child's dinner so that they are all done and dusted and can be collected, so you can enjoy and finish your dinner in relaxation, and know that your child is being well looked after.

Have fun :)

in regards to Dine and Play, if you tell your server that you have your child being picked up at 915, they fast pass your child's dinner so that they are all done and dusted and can be collected, so you can enjoy and finish your dinner in relaxation, and know that your child is being well looked after.

Have fun :)

Note--tell the server that your child is doing Dine and Play. Do not tell them your child is being picked up at 9:15. The pick up time changes slightly, as do the dining times! THey will know what time the pick up will be.