Tell me about the shows on the Fantasy

briehon

I will finally sail the Fantasy in December after having been on all 3 other DCL ships! What are the shows and how are they? I wasn't too impressed with many of the DCL shows with the exception of Tangled. It was amazing.

IMHO, the worst of any of the ships. THey are little other than a glorifies advertisement for Disney and the parks.

On the positive side, one did focus on a father/daughter relationship which was nice to see.

I've been seriously unimpressed with the "newer" DCL shows, meaning basically those that have debuted in the last 6 years or so. Haven't seen Tangled yet, but I have heard good things about it. Villains was awful in all three of its major reworkings. And the shows on the Fantasy are just "blah." Seriously, my family has had discussions along the lines of "What has gotten into the DCL theatre people and the casting people?"

I will finally sail the Fantasy in December after having been on all 3 other DCL ships! What are the shows and how are they? I wasn't too impressed with many of the DCL shows with the exception of Tangled. It was amazing.

I agree with moki'smommy, the shows on the Fantasy aren't the best of the bunch - by a long shot.

Aladdin is OK, mostly depending on the Genie character. If that actor is good, then it's a passable show.

Believe, about a father/daughter relationship using various Disney songs/scenes from different movies. But a little hokey.

Wishes - well, I must admit, I kinda liked it. Mostly because it's the only show on all the ships that even acknowledges that there is another park besides the ones at WDW. It's was nice to have Disneyland focused on. The storyline is about 3 soon to be graduated teens who reminisce about their visits to Disneyland over the years (again using various Disney songs and storylines).

DH hates the shows and never goes. I usually go to few on my own. I really only had Aladdin on my radar so I guess I will just plan to see that one.

While I didn't care for those shows all that much, I still believe everyone should see all the shows. That way you can make up your own mind whether you like them or not. I know there are shows that I don't like that others do. And vice versa.

That's why I saw all of them. When we did our Dream/Fantasy combo cruises I even saw Believe twice (once on the Dream and once on the Fantasy), just so I could make a fair assessment of whether I liked it or not. My husband only went to see it on the Dream, he passed on it on our Fantasy cruise.

I actually expected Aladdin to be better than it was, based on seeing the production at Disneyland. But it really wasn't.

Edited by Shmoo here

Aladdin at Disneyland was probably the best park show I've ever seen. That was amazing. The show on the ship is a poor substitute at best. I was glad that popular demand kept the Aladdin show at DL for a while longer than planned....but alas, gone now.

Nothing really redeemable about the others. We see the shows almost every time, but these are not worth seeing again....they were one of the major disappointments of that ship!

Aladdin at Disneyland was probably the best park show I've ever seen. That was amazing. The show on the ship is a poor substitute at best. I was glad that popular demand kept the Aladdin show at DL for a while longer than planned....but alas' date=' gone now.

Nothing really redeemable about the others. [b']We see the shows almost every time, but these are not worth seeing again.[/b]...they were one of the major disappointments of that ship!

Yeah, next time we do the Fantasy, we'll probably skip the shows. Only one I MIGHT see again would be Wishes.

I'm kinda hoping that they will start changing out a couple of the shows on the Fantasy & Dream. Since they "updated" Twice Charmed and added Tangled on the Magic. And Toy Story is being replaced by Frozen (yay) on the Wonder, I think it's time to start working on the the Dream shows next (since she was before the Fantasy). Maybe Villains Tonight? Since that's what got replaced on the Magic.

Villians was my favorite show back in 2013. 3 years and 8 cruises later, I tend to sit it out. I agree, they definitely need to overhaul the shows on the Dream after all this time. Especially the Golden Mickeys, which I found to be boring.

Villians was my favorite show back in 2013. 3 years and 8 cruises later, I tend to sit it out. I agree, they definitely need to overhaul the shows on the Dream after all this time. Especially the Golden Mickeys, which I found to be boring.

I found Golden Mickeys to be the best show on the Dream. While that's not saying a lot in that context, I also enjoyed in on the Wonder. I've seen it everytime we've been on the Wonder. Also, they've updated some of the montage sequences to include newer shows.

It was just a little too hokey for me compared to the other ones. I will say, though, I loved seeing Belle. She and the Beast never seem to be in any of the shows.

When you consider that the Beast's costume is incredibly hard to store and maintain due to it's sheer size, its an older movie, and most production shows are movie centric, it's not surprising that it is only featured in the GM's.

And Belle can be seen in Princess gatherings, however the Beast to just too large and heavy to move around the ship on a more regular basis than the occasional visit they have had in Lumiere's.

ex techie

I understood that Golden Mickeys was being revamped to feature a "Frozen" section. I haven't seen it, so this could be incorrect.

True that you don't see Beast out much...a very occasional meet and greet, a quick dance with Belle in Lumiere's, and somel appearances on stage is about it. But I honestly don't see how he manages to move in that costume! He's around a lot more on longer cruises, but that makes sense.

Belle is at many meet and greets (in multiple outfits), Princess Gathering, etc. We've seen her in the blue dress with apron, mostly in the gold, and at Christmas very rarely in the red. She wears a different outfit for on stage appearances than for meet and greet sessions. The gold on stage number is truly amazing....but cost about $50K. The skirt consists of 6 layers of exquisite silk! The dress for the meet and greets can stand up to little fingers and other sorts of things that can happen to it....and the color is more true to the film and most books.

Edited by moki'smommy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All the shows on the Dream were on demand on the TV during the entire cruise. But each recording had been recorded on a different ship or at another time. Dd watched the shows on TV opting for pool and Aquaduck time during the time we would have seen the shows live.