• Aurora
    • Himalaya (launched in 1948)
    • Azura
    • Carthage (launched in 1931)
    • Oriana (current)
    • Strathnaver
    • Oceana (current)
    • Victoria
    • None of the above (I'll elaborate below)

As we look back at P&O's amazing 175 years of history (you've undoubtedly heard that the line will celebrate that milestone with a series of events in Southampton on Tuesday, July 3), we're wondering: What's your favourite P&O ship, past or present?

Please vote below (you can vote for multiple ships if you like). If we haven't mentioned your favourite, please let us know what is. And feel free to elaborate on your choice, whether on the list or not!

And for more information on the 175th anniversary festivities, check this out: http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=4877.

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

p&o-postcard.jpg

Loved Artemis. Not my first ship but once I had sailed on her I fell in love. She was the perfect size for me, beautiful teak decks, tiered stern, forward unobstructed observation decks. The crew obviously loved her as well and that was reflected in the on-board atmosphere and service.

I was tempted to vote Canberra, which was a lovely ship, very seaworthy in bad weather, lots of public rooms with nothing going on - anyone remember the Bonito Lounge? - but the shared bathrooms put me off. Arcadia gets the vote as (to me) its nearest modern equivalent.

If I'd been on the new Adonia, which I haven't but my mother has, I might have voted for that. But probably not, because it doesn't have a cricket net.

Hi!

We've been on a number of P@O and Princess ships and have always had a great time. Our favorite is Azura. The added extra was all the extra dinning options. Sindu and Glass House for dinner, lunch and a wonderful birthday celebratory meal in 17 and for a change of pace the Italian Trattoria.

I diet all year so can enjoy my food on holiday!!!!!!:)

I travelled from Vancouver to London through the Panama Canal on the (old) Arcadia in June 1965, with stops in San Fran, LA, Acapulco, Panama Canal, Cartegena, Trinidad, Lisbon & Le Harve.. I was 16 years old and the trip took 26 days! What fun I had..I will never forget it. The Arcadia was a great old ship and I still correspond with some friends I made while on that trip. :)

In my book there is only one: Canberra (the great white whale) that set a benchmark for cruise ship design, bought so many Europeans to Australia and was there at the Falklands where she went in "harms way". We were privileged to sail on her many times.

Seriously, no votes at all for Adonia (current), and Stratnaver and Carthage (past)?

Sad.

Carolyn

Adonia is nice but lacks a few P&O favourites like a wrap-around prom deck, in fact deck space period. It's all in the middle - no view forward, and not even a view of the wake except from the Conervatory terrace.

Oriana has been our favourite ship since its launch in 1995. We have cruised on many of the other P & O ships including the wonderful Canberra and also on various others such as Cunard's Q.E.2 and Q.M.2.

However, as keen dancers, we find that Oriana has the best dance floor and the best dance music in the P & O fleet. Also, such facilities as the Crow's Nest and the Theatre Royal would take some beating. In fact both of these are superior to their equivalent on Cunard's Q.M.2.

Of course, Oriana is regarded by some as being rather dated but, as experienced cruisers, she suits us. There's no ice-skating rinks and rock-climbing walls but who needs them? If you are looking for a traditional British style cruise experience, pleasant formal nights, good food and entertainment then Oriana should fit the bill for most people.

Seriously, no votes at all for Adonia (current), and Stratnaver and Carthage (past)?

Sad.

Carolyn

People will (or should) only vote for ships which they have sailed on and thus had the opportunity to evaluate. Adonia is a fairly new addition to the P&O fleet, and a small one to boot. Relatively few will have sailed on her. Similarly, very few current cruisers will have sailed on Stratnaver or Cathage; I have been sailing with P&O for 20 years and have never heard of either of them!

I was tempted to vote Canberra, which was a lovely ship, very seaworthy in bad weather, lots of public rooms with nothing going on - anyone remember the Bonito Lounge? - but the shared bathrooms put me off. Arcadia gets the vote as (to me) its nearest modern equivalent.

If I'd been on the new Adonia, which I haven't but my mother has, I might have voted for that. But probably not, because it doesn't have a cricket net.

Canberra gets my vote, she was our first cruise and sailed on her 8 times. The first cruise was really a last minute, booked Thursday sailed Saturday. Got tickets on arrival and on boarding walked down flight after flight of steps. Finally got to F deck where the carpet disappeared replaced with lino. The portholes were welded up (?) in the whole two weeks I never saw anyone else in the shared bathrooms or loos. A really great time tho'. I remember the Bonito Lounge and there was always somewhere to sit quietly and read somewhere on the ship). A different curry on the menu every lunch in the MDR and best of all the Crow's Nest !!!

• 1 year later...

I loved the Oronsay and Arcadia ships from the early 1970's.

They were small and the ships were fun.

I enjoyed the Artemis as well, just prior to it's last sailing with P&O, again, smaller than some, and enjoyable. Great service too.

So he likes smaller ships and you like bigger? We both like smaller.

I have only been on Oceana, Azura and Equinox so I don't really have much to compare

When I last went on Azura in 2010 it was new, I just felt that Oceana was tired looking when I went on in July and I couldn't see much difference after the refurb

I think I do prefer a bigger ship though but I just love crusing so any ship will do :D

It's hard to choose:

Canberra because she was the first-ever cruise, shortly before she was retired - magical and got us totally hooked.

Victoria - because of the interesting/exciting/shocking experiences we had on that cruise.

Of the current ships, we've been on Aurora and Azura and so far Aurora wins hands down.

Archived