Viking - Bringing wine/beer onboard

jdblakeslee

Does Viking have a policy concerning bringing wine/beer onboard for use in your room? We have to confirm plans first thing tomorrow and this is one unanswered question. Thanks!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi jdblakeslee, you can bring any beer and wine on-board that you wish. In fact, you can bring the wine to the dining room and consume with no corkage fee if you prefer.

Enjoy and have a great cruise!

I have been on 2 Viking River cruises and we have purchased wine ashore and brought bottles aboard and drank it at dinner and on the upper deck while cruising. They do not have a corkage fee, on our last cruise the bartender would write our room number on the bottles of white wine and keep them chilled for us. I never brought beer aboard, I always drank local beer in the towns I visited, Viking has free beer during lunch and dinner, they had 2 different brands in bottles and one draft flavor. I noticed that a few passenger bring their own wine on board to drink at dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 year later...

Not sure if I should post in this old thread or start a new one?

Do they also allow you to bring on hard liquor, vodka, scotch, or similar? I would assume it's also OK same as with bringing your own beer and wine.

Thanks.

Edited by zitsky

Unlike ocean cruise, there is no x-raying of luggage or metal detectors for getting on the ship. It is not an issue bringing your own booze on board. I think if you took a bottle into the bar and started making your own drinks, that the server would ask that you refrain from that. But making a drink in your cabin and taking it into the dining room or the bar would not be a problem. I have gotten glasses from the bartender in the past.

Unlike ocean cruise, there is no x-raying of luggage or metal detectors for getting on the ship. It is not an issue bringing your own booze on board. I think if you took a bottle into the bar and started making your own drinks, that the server would ask that you refrain from that. But making a drink in your cabin and taking it into the dining room or the bar would not be a problem. I have gotten glasses from the bartender in the past.

Thanks. Do you think it's easy to find a liquor store for wine or booze in the cities you go through on a typical river cruise?

Edited by zitsky

Thanks. Do you think it's easy to find a liquor store for wine or booze in the cities you go through on a typical river cruise?

Yes or no. REALLY depends on where you'll be. The very small German towns we were in didn't often have much within walking distance of where the boat was. A couple did (we were on a mission to buy local beer in every town - my husband is an avid homebrewer and we both love craft beer) But only a couple places where there were larger stores that I remember having liquor as well. We embarked at Nuremberg and were in town early - we stopped in a large market a couple of times for last minute purchases. I also remember a larger grocery store (w/ liquor) in Wurzberg. Not sure we looked in all the places, but in a few towns we covered pretty much all the "within walking distance", so....

(wine & beer are much easier to find than liquor - small "minimarkets", restaurants, etc provide those. Of course, could just be that I was looking for beer not liquor....)

You can buy liquor in most "super markets" in Germany. I was surprised that prices were reasonable. Well reasonable given recent good exchange rate. ;)

Oh, sorry - I'm not disputing THAT - I'm just mentioning that we didn't see many of those within walking distance of where the boat docked;)