Viking Silver Spirit Beverage Package

wholelotta

I will be on Viking Grand European. I know that the alcoholic beverage package can be pricey, but I didn't know the hours in port, the hours that the bar is open--is it open when you are docked? It looks like an average of $30. per person per day for the package.

I know that you can buy wine and beer in the towns you visit--but everything is expensive in Europe and is it worth the difference?

If you opt to have house wine that is included at dinner or lunch--do they limit you to one glass??

Why are the easy decisions so difficult?

After having sailed very happily with Viking, the bottom line for me is that the Silver Spirits pkg is not necessary. Wine and beer at dinner is not limited. You may purchase any spirits on shore and bring them onto the ship for consumption. It's usually no more expensive than the States. Drinks in the bar are reasonable. As has been stated on this board before, figure the cost by day and then think if you will really drink enough to make it worth the expense. Surely you'll want to do some sightseeing, not just drinking!

Both of us are wine drinkers, and rarely drink beer or liqueur. Thus the package that Viking sells is not cost effective for us. On our last cruise in November, we were at a table for eight with friends that we had met, and none of our wine glasses were ever empty.

We have also found that you can purchase excellent bottles of wine ashore, for about $10-12 if you talk with the shopkeepers and discuss your preferences. I have paid a lot more for wine in the states that were not as good.

In our opinion, beer is more expensive in Europe than in the US though we have bought a glass to go along with lunch.

Cheers,

The price for liquor may be a bit pricier ashore only cause europe is generally pricier.

When we were in china with viking last year the true drinkers were a minority. It is nothing like the larger oceanliners. We moved at such a fast pace every day......you have to feel pretty darn good and have your wits about you to keep yourself going.

We almost purchased the silver spirits package but very glad we did not cause if were to have a drink it would be at dinner(wine or beer) included. Drinking during the day was not even felt after a day of heavy duty sightseeing.

So many tours will include wine or beer tasting that purchasing at that time may be alot more economical.

These river cruisers are more interested in the lands that they will visit not partying on the ship thru the wee hours of the night. Hopefully I have made you aware of what to expect and this will not be a carnival cruise to the carribean.

• 3 years later...

In September 2015, we tried the silver spirits beverage package on our China cruise. It is the best, I'm not a fan for the complimentary wine or beer. On the package , I was able to order perrier water anytime I wanted. Rose wine at lunch and dinner. My husband loves wine so he was able to taste different wines every day. At night my husband enjoys the Italian bitters. Irish or Spanish coffee was great. So for us it was worth the price. In 2017, I already ordered the package for our cruise to Norway. Either way, you're going to have a terrific time.

• 6 months later...
In September 2015, we tried the silver spirits beverage package on our China cruise. It is the best, I'm not a fan for the complimentary wine or beer. On the package , I was able to order perrier water anytime I wanted. Rose wine at lunch and dinner. My husband loves wine so he was able to taste different wines every day. At night my husband enjoys the Italian bitters. Irish or Spanish coffee was great. So for us it was worth the price. In 2017, I already ordered the package for our cruise to Norway. Either way, you're going to have a terrific time.

I realize this thread is quiet now, but I was wondering if you could provide a little more information about your experience with the Silver Spirits package. Were you able to order any cocktail you wanted? Was champagne by the bottle included, or were there any additional bubbly options (as I only see one, a house "sparkling," listed on the sample bar menu). We aren't big drinkers, but we prefer cocktails & champagne to beer & wine, which might start to add up (making the SS package seem more attractive.)

I realize this thread is quiet now, but I was wondering if you could provide a little more information about your experience with the Silver Spirits package. Were you able to order any cocktail you wanted? Was champagne by the bottle included, or were there any additional bubbly options (as I only see one, a house "sparkling," listed on the sample bar menu). We aren't big drinkers, but we prefer cocktails & champagne to beer & wine, which might start to add up (making the SS package seem more attractive.)

The river cruise has a different package then the ocean cruise. I can tell you that on the China cruise, you can basically have whatever you want.on the ocean cruise, it's any drink under $9. You do get a bottle of sparkling wine in your cabin. Hope this helps

Either before or on board.

Before and you pay now.

On board and you can charge it and use any on board credit you may have.

Thanks. We will have OBC, but not sure how much. We'll either buy the drink package or future cruise credit.

A couple of points from the beverage package commentary so far:

- It's advisable to purchase the package onboard, price-wise, as opposed to pre-registering. I went to the bar upon boarding to clarify what was included before purchasing (see next point;)

- Champagne is included. We enjoyed Veuve Cliquot (orange label) throughout our Grand European cruise last year. They ran out unfortunately on our anniversary day! Not to worry: the excellent bartender took it upon himself to go to a wine shop for more so we wouldn't be disappointed!

- Yes, it does pay if you enjoy wine beyond the complimentary offerings. We ordered from the wine list every night. The super staff usually can conjure up a bottle or two that is not on the list.

- A well-made Bloody Mary is a nice treat on the river days.

- Don't forget the cordials: we enjoyed cognac or Sambuca on several nights after dinner while partying with our new cruise friends.

- Champagne is included. We enjoyed Veuve Cliquot (orange label) throughout our Grand European cruise last year.

I would be inclined to verify that before purchasing if it is important to you as it most definitely wasn't in China or Cambodia.

• 8 months later...
Either before or on board.

Before and you pay now.

On board and you can charge it and use any on board credit you may have.

We have OBC & I have asked many times if we can use this credit to purchase the SS beverage package. It appears we cannot order the pkg prior to the cruise,

Using our credit. I was told by one blogger that you can order the pkg with the bartender. Just want to make sure that our OBC could be used for the SS.

My wife and I had a free beverage package from VRC a few years back. The bartender introduced himself to us when we boarded and knew us by sight after that. This was before the free wine and beer that most lines now have.

We've been on 4 Viking cruises and purchased the Silver Spirits package on each one, always feel like we have gotten our money's worth. We enjoy choosing a different wine every night from the wine list, always found something we liked better than the included-for-everyone wine. Our latest cruise on the Rhone in April had a wonderful wine list, lots of local wines to choose from. We also got to sample different wines from the list by the glass as a pre-dinner drink, and we enjoyed our cordials after dinner. The bar and restaurant staff will remember you, no bracelets required.