All Things Vantage

FuelScience

Was in Budapest at the end of August. We really enjoyed Szechenyi Baths, the Hospital in the Rock and St. Matthias Cathedral which is right by the Fisherman's Bastion where there is a nice market with Hungarian products.

Take a look at Trip Advisor to get more information to make certain these are places you would enjoy.

Was in Budapest at the end of August. We really enjoyed Szechenyi Baths, the Hospital in the Rock and St. Matthias Cathedral which is right by the Fisherman's Bastion where there is a nice market with Hungarian products.

Take a look at Trip Advisor to get more information to make certain these are places you would enjoy.

Budapest !one of my favorite world cities...the shopping at t,he Bastion is wonderful, although you'll probably do better at the markets...and all of them will have Hungarian products and homemade crafts. Things to look for would be decorated eggs, lace tablecloths, embroidered linens, paprika (several different kinds) and of course, Christmas ornaments. Bring bubble wrap!

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

It's been awhile since anyone posted on here but I thought I'd ask my question here first before creating a new thread on the the main forum.

After reading many comments about Vantage, I decided to add it to the list of companies I'm looking into and was surprised to find they have a program called TravelMates to help solo travelers possible find cruise buddies, or even roommates for the cruise. The idea is intriguing, however, I don't think I'd be brave enough to room with someone I "meet" through it but it would be nice to find other solo travelers that want to do a group cruise or something. I've searched and searched on CC but can't seem to find any previous posts/questions/reviews regarding the service. I would really like to hear from someone that has tried it out on past cruises.

Here is the excerpt from Vantage's website:

"If you love to travel but prefer not to go solo, look to TravelMates. Vantage's free service, exclusively for MyPortfolio users, is an online community where you can connect with like-minded people who share your love for discovery."

Thanks!!

Michelle

Claypot 77, Grand Circle has the same program and I met two ladies on one of our trips who were matched and it worked out great for them. I thought that they Were traveling together since they got along so well. They did some things together and separate, as needed.

Hi all!

It's been awhile since anyone posted on here but I thought I'd ask my question here first before creating a new thread on the the main forum.

After reading many comments about Vantage, I decided to add it to the list of companies I'm looking into and was surprised to find they have a program called TravelMates to help solo travelers possible find cruise buddies, or even roommates for the cruise. The idea is intriguing, however, I don't think I'd be brave enough to room with someone I "meet" through it but it would be nice to find other solo travelers that want to do a group cruise or something. I've searched and searched on CC but can't seem to find any previous posts/questions/reviews regarding the service. I would really like to hear from someone that has tried it out on past cruises.

Here is the excerpt from Vantage's website:

"If you love to travel but prefer not to go solo, look to TravelMates. Vantage's free service, exclusively for MyPortfolio users, is an online community where you can connect with like-minded people who share your love for discovery."

Thanks!!

Michelle

[/QUOT

Hi Michelle....It sounds like this is a place for Vantage travelers to meet others and select their own travel companion as opposed to a "match" service. I've traveled 8 times with Vantage and have met people that were traveling alone on each of my trips. I don't think you'll have any problem meeting people on any of their trips, unless YOU make it clear that you don't want to...meals are open seating on all of the ships, plus the daily port talk takes place during "happy hour", which is also open seating....and you'll be assigned a group to go on excursions with as well. (These can change daily or after you've met a few people you can request to be together and your request will be honored). As for sharing rooms, I don't recall meeting anyone who was sharing a room with someone they first met on board. Reminds me of that dreaded first day at college...and it's not something I would go for, quite honestly. But that being said, I would join their "Travelmates" program and see what happens...you never know and it's not like you're giving them your personal information.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Just wanted to share that! Paid for 3 mths back so I could get the 10% off, purchased Airfare and have booked hotel in Budapest, where we'll be for 3 nights pre-cruise, The Residence Baron Hotel. It's a small place, 28 rooms, and right next to the market downtown Pest.

We have 5 nights post trip I still get to figure out. Heading up to Brasov and that area looks to be nice.

So, getting closer...the countdown on the My Portfolio Page at Vantage.com was at over 600 days when I booked it. September will get here, just wish it would hurry....esp the winter part.

We have been on 2 Vantage trips ( Amazon/Machu Picchu and Irrawaddy) and a Viking ( Amsterdam to Budapest). the Vantage trips were a smaller group and there were numerous single people, both men and women but mostly women. Only 2 had roomed with strangers and both appeared to be disastrous. The singles all seemed to mix and mingle without problem. On the larger Viking cruise I was not aware of any singles.

Thanks H2Otstr, Hydrokitty, and deec for the feedback! You all voiced similar thoughts to my own and it was helpful to hear the confirmations of what you had observed about solo travelers on your past cruises.

At this point it doesn't look like Vantage offers the Christmas Market itinerary I'm looking for, but am going to keep checking their website from time to time. If anything, I think the TravelMates would just be a nice way of getting to know fellow travelers on the cruise beforehand, kind of like what CC helps facilitate already.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my post!

VANTAGE has opened up a few spots on its cruise tours to circumnavigate CUBA for 2016. We had put a deposit for 2017 but they called us to see if we were interested in 2016. There are a few cabins available in Feb, Mar, Apr and Nov.

Edited by pbnjrockette

VANTAGE has opened up a few spots on its cruise tours to circumnavigate CUBA for 2016. We had put a deposit for 2017 but they called us to see if we were interested in 2016. There are a few cabins available in Feb, Mar, Apr and Nov.

So which one did you book?

We're going on the Vantage Budapest to Passau this December - wondering if you can recommend any tours or shops?

If you have pictures, I'd love to see them.

kwbts124

Can't wait for our cruise - still hot here in Key West.

Here is the location of our trip story and pictures

http://stevekathytravels.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/christmascruise2007.pdf

We are always happy to answer any questions

I just saw our flight arrangements and we have a four and a half hour layover in LHR on our return. Does Vantage provide "meal money" for long layovers like GCT does?

Not that I'm aware of. I didn't know anyone did that. Did you call them and ask them to change it? That usually works unless they can't change it and then they'll tell you why.

I just saw our flight arrangements and we have a four and a half hour layover in LHR on our return. Does Vantage provide "meal money" for long layovers like GCT does?
What LHR terminal are you arriving at? Which one are you leaving from? I'm not sure that I'd want much less than four hours for a LHR transfer unless you have a guaranteed back-up plan. I've had 3 hour LHR transfers that I have barely made, and several "legal" ones that I have not made.

I was unaware that GCT provide "meal money" for long layovers. We had a 5 1/2 hour layover in AMS returning from a May 2015 GCCL trip and heard nothing about meal money. Can you provide details on GCT meal money?

Thom

Thanks for the responses. I'm less than thrilled with ou return air arrangements. Long layover, the goat rope that is LHR, and Boeing's "Nightmareliner." Unless we are willing to wake at zero dark fifteen, there is no published way to avoid the long layover Marseille to PHL without an extra stop and longer total journey time.

As far as I know, GCT doesn't publicize "lunch money." I learned of it from another traveler and called when I returned home from that trip. They issue a cruise credit. On our recent trip with more than a four hour layover, I called as soon as I got the itinerary and they issued a credit to my card.

Guess I'll give Vantage a call early next week and see whether they will do anything. Can't hurt.

• 1 month later...

I did not want to add to my signature but to an on-going thread which I did eventually find under Roll Call for all vantage....thanks for the help.

In the spirit of doing tough trips now while our hips and knees are working we are going on Mekong/Vietnam/Cambodia in November....

my husband really wanted to the trip although I think it will be very similar to the Irrawaddy trip ( we was FANTASTIC and with Vantage!)

Wish we could afford business class as I know the flights will be dreadful!!!

I did not want to add to my signature but to an on-going thread which I did eventually find under Roll Call for all vantage....thanks for the help.

In the spirit of doing tough trips now while our hips and knees are working we are going on Mekong/Vietnam/Cambodia in November....

my husband really wanted to the trip although I think it will be very similar to the Irrawaddy trip ( we was FANTASTIC and with Vantage!)

Wish we could afford business class as I know the flights will be dreadful!!!

Premium economy could be the way to go. It can't be any worse. A good plan..do the really physical trips first.

• 1 month later...
We are doing our first river cruise this summer on the River Splendor. Does anyone know if the walls of the cabins are magnetic like on the cruise ships?

I don't think so... I usually bring the 3M clips that are removable and use those.