Is it alright to forego included shore excursion?

meow!

We have a perhaps somewhat unusual question. We have already paid in full a 14 days Budapest to Amsterdam Viking river cruise for this coming October. Our goal is just to try out a river cruise and independent sightseeing ashore close to the ship. We habitually avoid group tours.

One of us does not walk well, and can manage perhaps 500 steps at a time with a cane. The other one walks reasonably well without help but is by no means an athlete. In ports, one of us (if necessary) is content with staying on the ship, take pictures from the ship and enjoy the scenery, while the other goes ashore to walk around the pier area, buying postcards and small souvenirs, and won't join any group tour. When the ship docks right beside taxi stands, both of us will go ashore, take a private taxi tour together, as we used to do with regular ocean voyages.

Will we look too odd and out of place, or is the above quite acceptable and understandable to fellow passengers? At airports, one of us always asks for wheelchair assistance (in the cannot walk far category), while the other can manage without help.

We have a perhaps somewhat unusual question. We have already paid in full a 14 days Budapest to Amsterdam Viking river cruise for this coming October. Our goal is just to try out a river cruise and independent sightseeing ashore close to the ship. We habitually avoid group tours.

One of us does not walk well, and can manage perhaps 500 steps at a time with a cane. The other one walks reasonably well without help but is by no means an athlete. In ports, one of us (if necessary) is content with staying on the ship, take pictures from the ship and enjoy the scenery, while the other goes ashore to walk around the pier area, buying postcards and small souvenirs, and won't join any group tour. When the ship docks right beside taxi stands, both of us will go ashore, take a private taxi tour together, as we used to do with regular ocean voyages.

Will we look too odd and out of place, or is the above quite acceptable and understandable to fellow passengers? At airports, one of us always asks for wheelchair assistance (in the cannot walk far category), while the other can manage without help.

Hi Meow (a fellow cat lover?) Not an unusual question at all. I have walking and balance issues and use a w/c in airports as well. Something I have recently purchased that helps me a great deal is a cane with a seat on it. I got mine from Magellan for under $35. It has 3 prongs for walking and a seat that unfolds for sitting. It's called a sports cane and apparently is all the rage at golf tournaments.

Aside from that...river cruises sometimes dock within easy walking distance of port city but often not that close. Sometimes there's a free shuttle that will take you back and forth. Unlike ocean ports, in my 8 river cruises, I have never seen a taxi stand next to the dock or even near it. Taxis usually do not meet river cruises but can be called and I would recommend you make arrangements for them rather than try to hail one. As for not wanting to join any of the group tours, nobody will make you. IME most river cruise passengers are senior citizens and more than tolerant of other passengers needs with one exception: people who cannot do the walking but insist on joining the tour anyway slowing it down to the point others are missing things while waiting for them.....but that doesn't apply to you so, No, I don't think you will stand out, I think you will find that others will go off on their own, or join the walking tour for a while and then leave it. Best thing for you to do is sit down with your TM and discuss your needs and abilities honestly and let him/her help you decide which excursions you can manage and what alternate arrangements can be made so that you get to see as much as possible.

Edited by Hydrokitty

It's your vacation, do as you wish, seems to be the motto of river cruise cruise/program directors.

In all likelihood several of the included tours will be bus tours, or at least partially by bus. You might enjoy those. If the tour is a combination bus and walking, your tour guide can inform you where to wait for the group . . . a cafe, square or similar.

On our last European river cruise, you just had to let the reception desk know that you were leaving the ship and check in when you came back. This is their way of keeping track of passengers which seems reasonable for me. In China, we had to stay with a tour guide, but not in Europe.

Taking the Included (tour) bus into town and doing your own thing... Then catch bus back to the ship is always doable. Do remember that often while the passenger tours the boat moves on and the bus "catches up" with the boat.

Staying on board is an option that several of our passengers did on days when they were too pooped to tour! :)

Edited by JVilleGal

On our last couple of river cruises, there were several couples that had arranged private tours to see and do what they wanted to do, in various of the cities. The private tour guides meet them in their limos and/or vans and whisked them off to do their thing. They either meet back up with the boat before launch or arranged to meet up at the next port. No problem, it's your vacation, do as you please. I go to the locals to see the area, not treat the ship/boat as a destination, but each to his own! :D

A great example of my wife and I skipping an included tour was in Tain Hermitage. There are a couple of the best wineries in the world right in the city center and an easy 5 minute walk from the boat. I had no interest in sampling chocolates or going to a third rate winery out of town (included tour). We did two fabulous extensive wine tastings along with a some expertly paired food with the wine at Jaboulet. Great morning for us, hope those tasting chocolates on the included tour enjoyed their morning likewise!

we stayed on board a couple of times and surprised at all the people who were on board, enjoy

I stayed on board one day during our Budapest to Black Sea cruise because I was just done and desperately in need of "down time". Turned out I was the only passenger on board and the crew started referring to the ship as "your boat"...one of the things they did that day was take on stores, which was

amazing to watch. The Captain was standing next to me watching and explained a lot to me about how much food they use, how they store it, how much is wasted (not much), where it comes from, etc. I had my own private behind the scenes tour and I LOVED it. :D

Really agree it's fun to stay on board occasionally no one minds, some tours are really not to be missed on one cruise a few couples decided to do a private tour the same as one of the included tours, they were convinced for some reason it would be better- well guess what we got to see far more than they did with a really exceptional tour guide. This was on a Scenic cruise where everything is included, I won't say which nationality.

Go with the flow and do your own thing.

CA

We are also doing the Viking Budapest to Amsterdam cruise on October 2. What is your sail date? We are considering a private tour in Budapest of the Jewish region. The one offered through Viking was sold out. We have never been on a river cruise. We would need advice on how to make arrangements through reputable tour companies. Has anyone given you suggestions? If you are on the same cruise, we will look for you. We are traveling with our friends.

We are also doing the Viking Budapest to Amsterdam cruise on October 2. What is your sail date? We are considering a private tour in Budapest of the Jewish region. The one offered through Viking was sold out. We have never been on a river cruise. We would need advice on how to make arrangements through reputable tour companies. Has anyone given you suggestions? If you are on the same cruise, we will look for you. We are traveling with our friends.

I can't believe Viking tour is sold out....if you have to book through a private company see if you can include a tour of the Parliament building for the same day....it's well worth it. You might post your question on this forum under ports. I think you'll get more help there.

You can absolutely forgo any organized trip/tour or group activity on a Viking cruise. There is no pressure at all to participate. We have often used the ship as our hotel room and have taken off and done our own thing. As long as you're back on board before departure, you can do whatever you want.

The concierge and hotel directors on our cruises have all been exceedingly helpful when we've asked for directions, ideas, suggestions...

I also find it highly doubtful the Viking Jewish Quarter excursion is sold out. Those aren't booked until you are on board. It's also extremely easy to get to the Jewish Quarter on your own from the ship. It takes about 2 hours to self-tour and then walk through the Jewish district and the Ruin Bars. Security is quite heavy at the Great Synagogue. You have to go through a metal detector and have your coat and bags searched.

... We have often used the ship as our hotel room and have taken off and done our own thing. As long as you're back on board before departure, you can do whatever you want...
We have rented a car and driven 100km to two tiny towns some of my ancestors left in 1744; like many times if Schengen external borders are involved, the boat was holding our passport, but they "loaned it back for us" for the day to facilitate a car rental.

We were on a 2015 river boat when people took a longer over-night off boat trip and met the boat at the next port. It caused no problem since they had let the boat know what they were doing.

I've found river boats (on a number of different lines) to be quite willing to work with your desires.

Thom

You can absolutely forgo any organized trip/tour or group activity on a Viking cruise. There is no pressure at all to participate. We have often used the ship as our hotel room and have taken off and done our own thing. As long as you're back on board before departure, you can do whatever you want.

The concierge and hotel directors on our cruises have all been exceedingly helpful when we've asked for directions, ideas, suggestions...

I also find it highly doubtful the Viking Jewish Quarter excursion is sold out. Those aren't booked until you are on board. It's also extremely easy to get to the Jewish Quarter on your own from the ship. It takes about 2 hours to self-tour and then walk through the Jewish district and the Ruin Bars. Security is quite heavy at the Great Synagogue. You have to go through a metal detector and have your coat and bags searched.

And it's worth the effort....whether or not you're Jewish.... I found it to be a mind-altering experience.

While it would probably not be as extensive, Vikings regular tour of Budapest did explore the Jewish district and made a stop for those who wanted to spend time there. As I remember, those who wanted to stay longer were able to return to the boat later by taxi.

I think OP's problem was that Viking told her their tour of Jewish District was full....which I find really surprising since most of us don't book excursions until we're on board. I can see a theater performance being full but not what is essentially a walking tour. We did it with Vantage and had the same option you mentioned.