Packing

cruiser02

It will soon be time to open the "Packing Room" for a March Viking cruise Amsterdam to Budapest Know what to take for the day time activities but wonder about the evenings?

What do passengers wear for dinner ? Do not want to be in the same clothes all day but do not want to over-pack.

Thanks

It will soon be time to open the "Packing Room" for a March Viking cruise Amsterdam to Budapest Know what to take for the day time activities but wonder about the evenings?

What do passengers wear for dinner ? Do not want to be in the same clothes all day but do not want to over-pack.

Thanks

We haven't cruised with Viking, but DW and I usually pack one large suitcase each and DW carries a small carryon.

We usually do some land touring before or after the river or ocean cruises. Planning on three weeks of touring, I don't plan on changing my clothes during the day. In fact, unless the weather is hot, I try to wear my trousers for two days and sometimes my shirts as well.

Women might be more interested in changing for the evening.

DH and I always shower and change for dinner. After a long day of exploring we like to spiff up a bit for cocktails and dinner.

For March, I would pack a nice pair of black trousers with several tops/sweaters for evening as well as a black sweater dress. DH packs dress slacks, button down shirts, some sweaters/turtenecks.

You will see a range of dress on passengers. Some will dress for dinner as we do, and others will stay in their clothes from the daytime. It is really a personal choice. We look at dinner and cocktails as an occasion and enjoying dressing up a bit for evenings.

DH and I always shower and change for dinner. After a long day of exploring we like to spiff up a bit for cocktails and dinner.

For March, I would pack a nice pair of black trousers with several tops/sweaters for evening as well as a black sweater dress. DH packs dress slacks, button down shirts, some sweaters/turtenecks.

You will see a range of dress on passengers. Some will dress for dinner as we do, and others will stay in their clothes from the daytime. It is really a personal choice. We look at dinner and cocktails as an occasion and enjoying dressing up a bit for evenings.

Agree about the evenings !

We haven't cruised with Viking, but DW and I usually pack one large suitcase each and DW carries a small carryon.

We usually do some land touring before or after the river or ocean cruises. Planning on three weeks of touring, I don't plan on changing my clothes during the day. In fact, unless the weather is hot, I try to wear my trousers for two days and sometimes my shirts as well.

Women might be more interested in changing for the evening.

Same here...never cruised with Viking and DH and I carry one large bag and I have a back pack....this would be for cruises of 14 days or more. For dinner I wear black or white dress jeans and bring 2 dressy tops, 1 white and 1 black. DH wears docker type slacks and collared shirts. We travel with the same company often enough that we get free laundry as a perk and we take advantage of it. My touring outfit is capri pants in dark colors and tops in bright colors to mix and match.

We also shower before dinner, so I change clothing. But I always mix and match my outfits, day & night, as I'm wearing mostly the same things. Will wear different shoes for dinner than for heavy walking tours, but otherwise....(I like dresses & skirts and am happy to wear them during the day for touring as well)

I rarely wear the same thing from 8am to 10pm, but I absolutely wear the same thing over and over on a trip!

Viking has NO dress code, stated or implied. People wear what they choose. For Dinner, many will dress in nice slacks and a collared shirt, while others will wear shorts, tee shirts and sandals. Some come back from their tours, head to the bar and stay there through the CD's briefing and then straight to dinner without ever changing. Some do go back and "clean up" for dinner.

Viking has no rules, so no rules should be implied. March is typically still cool to cold so a lot of sweating will not be going on, nor would shorts be typically worn. Dress as you feel appropriate for the situation and enjoy. Just expect far more variation in dress than what is seen on other lines with a more state policy.

Hoyaheel is totally correct. There are almost no dressy clothes on a Viking cruise. Smart casual, yes. Mix and match. Layers!

Hoyaheel has not been on Viking and was speaking about her personal preferences when traveling. From her posts here and on other forums, I believe that she dresses well all of the time, and enjoys wearing nice clothing. :)

After sailing on 11 river cruises, IMO it is a personal choice as to what one wears, day and evening. There are always those that dress up a bit for dinner and those that do not. No right or wrong, just personal style. We have seen it all, including several couples on one of our Avalon cruises who came dressed as they would for formal night on a cruise ship, all glitter, glam and heels and ties. They really stood out.

We generally see about 5-10% of men in sport coats in the evenings. I am sure that some lines have a higher ratio. Can't comment on Viking specifically as we do not cruise with them but I would suspect it is much the same.

For the more intimate dining venues on AMA we take it up a notch from meals in the MDR and most guests do as well. It is a fine dining experience in an elegant restaurant and many treat it as such.

Good morning:).....I am taking my first River Cruise in April:) and I will

be changing for dinner each night too. As mentioned earlier by several

folks, I am in the category of wanting to take a shower after being out

all day and putting on some new attire;). I plan on taking a few pairs

of slacks with some nice tops for dinnertime. Most are in jersey material

that take up very little space for packing. Black slacks, grey ones and

a pair of burgundy/wine........

Different strokes for different folks:)

Hoyaheel has not been on Viking and was speaking about her personal preferences when traveling. From her posts here and on other forums, I believe that she dresses well all of the time, and enjoys wearing nice clothing. :)

True about Viking, and thank you for the rest ;-) I was speaking in generalities about "river cruising life" daytime vs dinner/evening clothing.

My issues with jeans are personal:p And I find that a pair of black trousers (weighted depending on the climate) are easier to "go casual" or dress up as needed, and moreover fit my personal style better than jeans.

My husband has a very casual (and often dirty) job, so contrary to what most men seem to post, he enjoys dressing up a little on vacation since he doesn't in his daily life. And therefore we match in level of formality when we travel.

Viking is casual. Often you get back from a day tour and have just enough time to drop stuff off in your cabin and head to the lounge for the daily briefing, then it's on to dinner.

We have literally seen it all on our cruises, from formal fancy to super casual. I've found the super fancy tends to stick out more than the casual.

Now, that being said...my husband and I do tend to change for dinner...if nothing other than to put clean shirts/tops/sweaters on to be a bit refreshed. I always pack at least 2 outfits I only wear to dinner so I'm not a rumpled mess.

:-)