Ganges voyager 1

Rivercove10

Hubby and I are booked on Ganges Voyager 22 December. I have not found any reviews comments or information on any cruise sailed at this time, very weird ,.. I am aware that the ship suffered fire damage the day after its christening which was January 1st 2015. I have been told by my travel agent that one of her clients had sailed and was very satisfied BUT I have not found any information reports or reviews regarding the ship. Any info out there would very very appreciated

I am booked on the September 2nd cruise and will be happy to provide my feedback. I recently check the Vantage website and noticed that there are still plenty of cabins available for most dates. By this time most should be sold out, I am worried that they may cancel the cruise due to lack of travelers.

I am booked on the September 2nd cruise and will be happy to provide my feedback. I recently check the Vantage website and noticed that there are still plenty of cabins available for most dates. By this time most should be sold out, I am worried that they may cancel the cruise due to lack of travelers.

I hope not.

We are looking at this for the future, so we will look forward to your review.

• 2 months later...

We sailed on the Ganges Voyager in Feb 2105. I believe we were the 2nd or 3rd sailing and never heard of a fire on board. The ship is quite a delight! and the journey on the Ganges is amazing! I would be happy to answer any questions. I have not written a review but did write a blog during my trip and a link is included in my signature.

I'm wondering if it's because of the time of year. I've not been to that part of India, but I'm guessing it's pretty hot in September? I know I was in India in January and I found it damned hot even then.

Thanks so much for the link to your blog. We're waiting for 2017 itineraries to come out, and we're hoping Vantage has a trip in January. I know that A&K has the ship tied up until the first week of January, but no idea where she'll be after that.

I'm sorry to hear about the storage issue though. It seems to be the way things are heading. We just did the Viking Ocean maiden and didn't have enough storage in that brand new cabin. We're also taking an Azamara cruise after an extensive retrofit, and it looks like they're pulling storage out of that cabin as well. I guess it will look more streamlined and make the cabin larger, but (like on Viking Star) if we have our clothes stacked on the cabin chairs, what good are they?

Anyway, I can't wait to start reading more reviews of the ship/tour.

Did they hold you to 33 lbs for check in and 18 lbs for carry on during travel through India?

After all our pre-trip weighing and sorting we did not have a problem... BUT it was because our program manager took care of all the suitcase weigh-ins and we were checked in as a group.We had no trouble with our internal flights. Those folks who flew home by Air India and had booked thru Vantage did not have a problem. But some of our group had booked their own return airfare and ended up having to pay overage fees. So be aware that there may be issues. (Our suitcases did weigh less than 33lbs when we arrived... closer to 50 when we left with souvenirs!!!)

At last a blog about Ganges Voyager, I have become obsessive about finding reviews about this new boat on a daily basis. I very much enjoyed and appreciated the link above.

I am a little anxious about having to place used toilet paper in a container; not able to flush it. Fingers crossed hubby and I won't be suffering Delhi Belly. I took it for granted that the Ganges Voyager was being advertised as "luxury". I have been a spoilt woman as I class Seabourn as luxury. I understand that the sailing is on the Ganges River but the Ganges Voyager looks like the maharajah would sail in it. I have to harden up!

It was not hot in Jan/Feb... most days were low to mid 60's. Only when we were in Kolkata and on the Ganges did we see any 70's. I would NOT want to be there when it was any warmer!!

The Ganges Voyager is definitely not "luxury"... the suites are very ornately decorated and if you stay in the larger suites, quite beautiful. The lounge area and dining room are nice but not elegant. As mentioned in my blog, the "country boat" tender is rather 'quaint' if not rustic!!

But the plumbing system is only what the Ganges can handle and nothing can be flushed. Hopefully they will improve the maintenance of the ship due to the many letters our group sent to Vantage after our journey!!

I'm a little nervous about the 'no flushing' rule too. I had read the same thing about our ship AMALotus before we took their Mekong cruise, but someone on a trip ahead of ours said the little signs in the bathrooms were gone, and sure enough, no sign of it on our trip. I've certainly run across toilets you can't flush while traveling (usually squatty potties) but never for daily use, and never with the specter of Delhi Belly floating around.

Ganges Voyager II, used by Uniworld, is an identical sister, right? I wonder how the toilets are working on those cruises? I haven't seen anything about that ship written up anywhere outside of brochure type articles.

The word "luxury" does not come to mind when thinking about our journey on the Ganges Voyager. We stayed in the Heritage suite... it was really beautiful but not nearly as large as the pictures make it seem. The extra sitting area was basically wasted space as it wasn't practical and could better have been used for storage! The bed was large and comfortable and we slept well!! "Suite" is really a misnomer---it's merely a much larger cabin than you usually find aboard cruise ships.

Hopefully the many letters our group sent to the main Vantage office in Boston has resulted in some changes and has reached the Haimark staff. I would love to hear from cruisers that traveled after ours (we were only the 2nd or 3rd trip of 2015). Some type of "noro" illness definitely was onboard our journey although Vantage and the Haimark personnel refused to accept this. We had been together for 2 weeks before boarding the ship and although a few of our group had been ill with a 24 'thing'--more than half of the group became VERY sick once we set sail and several people NEVER were able to take even one excursion off the ship.

My only advice (as one who did not get sick on board) is bring lots of sanitizer, Wash your hands! Wash your hands! Wash your hands! (ALSO remember you CANNOT drink the water!!) We carried small bottles of sanitizer in every pocket (the airlines do not check for these) and handi-wipes. Used them constantly after touching handrails and doorknobs...

It was a great trip... a fantastic experience! I'd be glad to answer any questions at pbnj00 @ gmail dot com

• 6 months later...
Hubby and I are booked on Ganges Voyager 22 December. I have not found any reviews comments or information on any cruise sailed at this time, very weird ,.. I am aware that the ship suffered fire damage the day after its christening which was January 1st 2015. I have been told by my travel agent that one of her clients had sailed and was very satisfied BUT I have not found any information reports or reviews regarding the ship. Any info out there would very very appreciated

Rivercove, has your trip come and gone? How did you like it? If you get this, I hope you'll come back and share your experience. We've booked for February of next year.

Rivercove, has your trip come and gone? How did you like it? If you get this, I hope you'll come back and share your experience. We've booked for February of next year.

Amyr & Rivercore,

My wife and I are booked on the Ganges Voyager 11 for the December 8, 2016 Cruise. We too are looking for any info about the cruise, ship, etc.

George

Amyr & Rivercore,

My wife and I are booked on the Ganges Voyager 11 for the December 8, 2016 Cruise. We too are looking for any info about the cruise, ship, etc.

George

Too bad we're not on the same trip. Pbnj did a great review, and she may come back and answer any questions, but I'd love to hear an update on some of the issues they had.

Did you book a pre or post extension? We booked the extension to Varanasi.

I would be glad to answer any questions from our trip in January 2015. I'm sure things have changes somewhat from our trip. We took the pre-trip to Nepal and the earthquake occurred there 4 months later. Here is a link to my blog https://patbblogdotcom.wordpress.com/page/4/

I can also be reached at pbnj00 @ gmail dot com

It's an amazing trip!

Edited by pbnjrockette

More than a month has past since we disembarked form the Ganges Voyager and I have not posted a review as yet...I am bad especially that Cruise Critic has given me so much information on our upcoming cruises. I do have a bugbear about writing on forums; there is always somebody that feels a need to comment on spelling errors or somebody wants to start an argument about an opinion given. I will harden up for the sake of giving back because Cruise Critic is such a valuable tool.

The review given by pbnjrockette was spot on, I will share my experience.

We (Aussies) booked our trip to India with Insider Journeys, they organised an 8 day post-cruise extension from Kolkata which included Varanasi, Delhi, Agra and Jaipur. They organised transfers and internal flights; on the whole the India experience went smoothly. A hiccough occured with a transfer from the boat to airport which was not booked but the staff from the Ganges Voyager organised and saw to a stressfree transfer. I describe our India trip as an experience not a holiday; some confronting moments that makes you question your values which is what traveling is about I suppose.

I understood that the Ganges Voyager was sort of chartered out to different tour providers and I presumed that this would be done in blocks of time eg; Vantage would have a charter for week, and then A&K, then Insider Journeys but what actually occurred, guests from all tour providers were on our sailing. Great! I enjoy the diversity but we found it ended up being a two class sailing.... The A&K group had wine and beer included in their package but the Aussie guests did not. It became annoying that after each drink was ordered a form was presented for signing. I understood wine and beer was inclusive in our package but evidently it was not.

The crew and staff went out of their way to ensure everybody was happy and safe. They were always around if there was a trip hazzard on a pier or wharf to ensure we were mindful of the hazzard. Whenever the guests were getting on and off the Country Boat (tender) there were at least 2 crew assisting to ensure safety. During shore excursions there was always extra crew to ensure we crossed the road safely or did not fall down embankments or get harassed by cows, goats, dogs, pigs. The crew genuinely cared for our welfare. Hand sanitizer was issued on every excursion and cold bottled water was freely given.

Food was tastey and enough choices available to keep most happy. The food hygiene standard looked as though it was being practiced to western standards. The ice onboard the boat was edible as it was properly filtered but the water in the ensuite shower or basin was not allowed to be consumed. Several guests did end up with Delhi Belly (us included), just one of those things...not good for 24 hours but then it becomes managable...sort of. I believe the requirement of non flushing of toilet tissue down the loo may be a causative agent of the spreading of sickness onboard - my opinion only. I brought nappy sacks to wrap the offensive material. That aspect was probably my only complaint.

Sleep quality was excellent, comfy beds and lovely linens. Excursions were great - informative and pleasent guides. The locals from the villages and towns we visited were very interested in us - we must act and look wierd to them. One of the guests would give soft toys to the local children, most of the kids freaked out and did not want to touch the offering. Sometimes sweets were given to the children, they were received happily by the older ones. Our tour guides suggested that it is not good policy to give to the children because they will come to expect something from all future guests who visit.

I am happy to share any further information.

I unsuccessfully tried to attach the Ganges Voyager Daily Program from our time onboard for those who are like me and want to know every detail of what to expect. I will email them if requested.

More than a month has past since we disembarked form the Ganges Voyager and I have not posted a review as yet...I am bad especially that Cruise Critic has given me so much information on our upcoming cruises. I do have a bugbear about writing on forums; there is always somebody that feels a need to comment on spelling errors or somebody wants to start an argument about an opinion given. I will harden up for the sake of giving back because Cruise Critic is such a valuable tool.

The review given by pbnjrockette was spot on, I will share my experience.

We (Aussies) booked our trip to India with Insider Journeys, they organised an 8 day post-cruise extension from Kolkata which included Varanasi, Delhi, Agra and Jaipur. They organised transfers and internal flights; on the whole the India experience went smoothly. A hiccough occured with a transfer from the boat to airport which was not booked but the staff from the Ganges Voyager organised and saw to a stressfree transfer. I describe our India trip as an experience not a holiday; some confronting moments that makes you question your values which is what traveling is about I suppose.

I understood that the Ganges Voyager was sort of chartered out to different tour providers and I presumed that this would be done in blocks of time eg; Vantage would have a charter for week, and then A&K, then Insider Journeys but what actually occurred, guests from all tour providers were on our sailing. Great! I enjoy the diversity but we found it ended up being a two class sailing.... The A&K group had wine and beer included in their package but the Aussie guests did not. It became annoying that after each drink was ordered a form was presented for signing. I understood wine and beer was inclusive in our package but evidently it was not.

The crew and staff went out of their way to ensure everybody was happy and safe. They were always around if there was a trip hazzard on a pier or wharf to ensure we were mindful of the hazzard. Whenever the guests were getting on and off the Country Boat (tender) there were at least 2 crew assisting to ensure safety. During shore excursions there was always extra crew to ensure we crossed the road safely or did not fall down embankments or get harassed by cows, goats, dogs, pigs. The crew genuinely cared for our welfare. Hand sanitizer was issued on every excursion and cold bottled water was freely given.

Food was tastey and enough choices available to keep most happy. The food hygiene standard looked as though it was being practiced to western standards. The ice onboard the boat was edible as it was properly filtered but the water in the ensuite shower or basin was not allowed to be consumed. Several guests did end up with Delhi Belly (us included), just one of those things...not good for 24 hours but then it becomes managable...sort of. I believe the requirement of non flushing of toilet tissue down the loo may be a causative agent of the spreading of sickness onboard - my opinion only. I brought nappy sacks to wrap the offensive material. That aspect was probably my only complaint.

Sleep quality was excellent, comfy beds and lovely linens. Excursions were great - informative and pleasent guides. The locals from the villages and towns we visited were very interested in us - we must act and look wierd to them. One of the guests would give soft toys to the local children, most of the kids freaked out and did not want to touch the offering. Sometimes sweets were given to the children, they were received happily by the older ones. Our tour guides suggested that it is not good policy to give to the children because they will come to expect something from all future guests who visit.

I am happy to share any further information.

I unsuccessfully tried to attach the Ganges Voyager Daily Program from our time onboard for those who are like me and want to know every detail of what to expect. I will email them if requested.

Thank you for your review! Glad to hear the positives-- The villages and villagers were amazing and the best part of our journey! The crew was always so helpful (especially getting in and out of our 'country boat')!

Sorry that you got ill (I agree the "unsanitary buckets" for soiled toilet tissues probably added to the spread of this problem. These germs become airborne easily and spread.

Thank you for posting! Pat/pbnj

Thank you Rivercove!

I had so hoped that PBNJs experience with the toilets would turn out to be growing pains, so boo on that. When we were getting ready for the Mekong on AMALotus, the reviews reported the same, but by the time we got there it wasn't the case. Ganges Voyager was built by Haimark, and they look identical to the ships Haimark built for the Mekong and Myanmar, so I wonder what gives? I wonder if it's the sanitation removal process in India that's lacking? I'll be sure to pack little bags on your suggestion.

Did you take anything for your Delhi Belly, or let it runs its course? I never go anywhere without Pepto Bismal and Cipro, but havn't needed it so far.

We're on a cruise right now, but I'm sure I'll have more questions when I get home. Are you going to post a review in the review section to go along with PBNJs? Did your struggle with storage space like she did? I looked carefully at the cabin diagrams after her review, and I could see that she was right and that I may not unpack my bag.

Quick question for our Ganges Voyager 1 pros: How did the air con work? Reports back from Ganges Voyager 2, which Uniworld operates, are they they're not true individual units. Something about the temperature being controlled by floor? Did you have your own a/c unit in your room, the sort that you turn off and on with a remote?

Quick question for our Ganges Voyager 1 pros: How did the air con work? Reports back from Ganges Voyager 2, which Uniworld operates, are they they're not true individual units. Something about the temperature being controlled by floor? Did you have your own a/c unit in your room, the sort that you turn off and on with a remote?

Strange I don't remember the AC units or it being a problem. It was not terrible hot when we were on the river (late January/February)---70's (only reached 80 the last day touring Calcutta). Sorry can't be more help!

• 1 month later...

Did anyone see the below review from USAToday? It's for the Uniworld Ganges Voyage II version, but probably pretty close to the same thing. Uniworld charges a few grand more, and their pre-cruise tour is five days shorter (but I think their hotels are fancier?) but the river portion is the same.

I had an email exchange with someone from Haimark, the company that built/owns Ganges Voyager, about the toilet flushing. He said it was that they didn't have access to closed system toilet paper in India, and what they do have clogs the lower level sewage plants. Not sure if he meant lower level of operation, or lower level of river? Anyway, they know about the situation, and the guy I corresponded with claimed that the company Chairman was getting involved to try to resolve the situation. Either way, I'm glad we've been forewarned by our Cruise Critic friends and can travel prepared with nappy bags.

REVIEW: http://experience.usatoday.com/cruise/story/features/2016/03/25/india-river-cruise-ganges/81646746/

Also - Rivercove, could you add a review in the member's section? All you have to do is cut and paste your comments above - it would be so helpful!

Edited by amyr