Oh My Gosh...90 Days To Go

Lois R

Where does the time go?...I booked my cruise back in July and now we

in 2016 and April 5th is coming up fast:eek::D:).......

Tulips.....hopefully they will be in bloom;)...have my flights and hotel

booked....lets see, need to get some Euros and maybe a new travel

pillow and some new walking shoes......

Should be fun:)

Lois, it will be here before you know it! In the meantime you'll be busy with all the details and breaking in your new walking shoes. We were in Amsterdam the end of last April (not on a cruise) and saw the tulip fields, a bit after peak but amazing anyway. if you are wondering about blooming time this year, as April approaches check out the Amsterdam forum on Tripadvisor. One of the locals posted updates during the season. Others added in their experiences so all very helpful. No matter what, there will be tulips to see as we found them in pots and gardens as we wandered the city.

I look forward to reading about your cruise-wishing you many wonderful cruising memories.

I just realized I might have shoes that will work without

spending $ on new ones:D

I suggest you waterproof them just in case, and bring a 2nd pair to alternate with. I find my feet are happiest when I can switch off my walking shoes, but we average 8-10 miles a day when in Europe as we walk everywhere.

I have already started to plan my clothes for our April trip. :)

Enjoy the anticipation - for me, it's part of the fun!

I suggest you waterproof them just in case, and bring a 2nd pair to alternate with. I find my feet are happiest when I can switch off my walking shoes, but we average 8-10 miles a day when in Europe as we walk everywhere.

I have already started to plan my clothes for our April trip. :)

Enjoy the anticipation - for me, it's part of the fun!

Good morning:)...where are ya'll going? Are we traveling at the same

time?

As for waterproofing? They are walking shoes by "Grasshoppers". I used

them in Europe in 2012.....and the backup? I wasn't planning on bringing

an extra pair. 8-10 miles per day? I would probably collapse walking

that much:eek:

Oh, I will enjoy the anticipation though:)......it is definitely new that is for sure!

Edited by Lois R

Hi Lois,

Best wishes on your first river cruise. Years ago, I decided that for my 50th birthday, I wanted to do a river cruise. As fate would have it, I won a cruise for 2 from Uniworld to Italy/Po River in 2013:D. My husband and I took advantage of a 2 for 1 past guest offer last year, and did their Paris-Normandy Seine River cruise. Not bad, 3 cruises for the price of 1!

Later this spring, we're changing things up a bit, and are traveling with Avalon in a panorama suite on the Danube. I guess you can say, we are hooked!

(And, I'm still not 50!)

Last year, we walked, on average, 8-10 miles a day, so good shoes are very important! We also found that long underwear came in very handy, as we were traveling late in March.

Enjoy!!!!!!

Robin

Hi Robin:) how neat is that! You won a cruise?:D

So, you are the 2nd person who has said they walk 8-10 miles per day:eek:

I really am not in shape to walk that much per day. I know AMA offers

tours for more than 1 type of walker......walking that many miles per

day doesn't appeal to me.....hopefully one oft he offerings will be for

a somewhat less amount of mileage.

Edited by Lois R

Hi Robin:) how neat is that! You won a cruise?:D

So, you are the 2nd person who has said they walk 8-10 miles per day:eek:

I really am not in shape to walk that much per day. I know AMA offers

tours for more than 1 type of walker......walking that many miles per

day doesn't appeal to me.....hopefully one oft he offerings will be for

a somewhat less amount of mileage.

None of AMA's tours (with the exception of some active hikes offered on some itineraries) includes that much walking so no worries! In your documents each excursion will be fully detailed in the day by day itinerary you receive, including level of difficulty. Most will included an hour or so walking tour at a comfortable pace. For those that prefer to move at a slower pace and avoid steps and hills, they offer "gentle walker" programs.

We put on those miles on our own, outside of the tours. :)

None of AMA's tours (with the exception of some active hikes offered on some itineraries) includes that much walking so no worries! In your documents each excursion will be fully detailed in the day by day itinerary you receive, including level of difficulty. Most will included an hour or so walking tour at a comfortable pace. For those that prefer to move at a slower pace and avoid steps and hills, they offer "gentle walker" programs.

We put on those miles on our own, outside of the tours. :)

Thanks for easing my mind:) and my final payment is due soon so it will

become even more real:D

Hi Lois, on our AMA cruise, some changed walking tour groups depending on the tour itself and others wanted extra time for picture taking. By the end of the cruise some welcomed the opportunity to take it easy because they had pretty much worn themselves out earlier not wanting to miss anything. You'll see it will all work out:)

Sharon

PS Wish I was going with you!

Looking forward to hearing about your trip. I am sure you will have an awesome time! :)

We are going on the Romantic Rhine (ending in Amsterdam) on April 16th via Avalon. Really looking forward to it...and doing a ton of research! I hear ya about not being up for 8 plus miles of walking a day...I am hoping to get into a little better shape so that it won't be quite an adjustment from my daily desk job. But still what a fun reason to move it a little more.

Lois, I think we're on the sailing the week after yours. We are on Stella leaving the 14th! Our final payment is due Monday and we're quite excited. I finally booked our air last week and all that's left is a hotel for one night pre-cruise. I haven't gone through all the posts - are you arriving early? Where are you staying?

Lois, I think we're on the sailing the week after yours. We are on Stella leaving the 14th! Our final payment is due Monday and we're quite excited. I finally booked our air last week and all that's left is a hotel for one night pre-cruise. I haven't gone through all the posts - are you arriving early? Where are you staying?

Hi:) I am flying out on April 5th, arriving the morning of the 6th...sailing

on the 7th.

I am staying at The Banks Mansion. It gets very good reviews on

Trip Advisor and Ine (she posts over on the Europe forum and she lives in

Amsterdam) she recommended it as well.

Here is a link to the hotel:

http://www.carlton.nl/banksmansion/default-en.html?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=TC_CPC&utm_term=banks%20mansion%20amsterdam

Edited by Lois R

We're not sailing until Aug - ugh! I can't wait. I'm doing research and making lists! I'm taking 2 pairs of Skechers and I'm thinking about getting a pair of Taos Trophy sandals. I've heard they are excellent for walking and I can wear them for dinner. I wasn't planning on taking sandals, but we are going in Aug so I want to be prepared for hot weather.

I'm planning to take shorts, jeans and one pair of nice black pants. I heard you can't go into the cathedrals in shorts, so I'm consider a skort. I'm trying to pack light!

Please let us know about your trip when you return!

We're not sailing until Aug - ugh! I can't wait. I'm doing research and making lists! I'm taking 2 pairs of Skechers and I'm thinking about getting a pair of Taos Trophy sandals. I've heard they are excellent for walking and I can wear them for dinner. I wasn't planning on taking sandals, but we are going in Aug so I want to be prepared for hot weather.

I'm planning to take shorts, jeans and one pair of nice black pants. I heard you can't go into the cathedrals in shorts, so I'm consider a skort. I'm trying to pack light!

Please let us know about your trip when you return!

For certain religious venues you must have knees and shoulders covered. Skorts won't work in those cases. I pack longer length linen skirts or tank dresses and carry a silk scarf I can wrap around my shoulders. Capris are also a good choice.

I own two pair of Taos walking sandals and they are great! We walk a LOT and they have great support and work well on cobblestones. I also love my Naot sandals.

I have one pair of Skeechers and they offer no protection from cobblestones and hardly any support. I have delegated them to a place at the front door and use them only when I go get the mail or take the dog out. For long walks, they were awful.

I am going in early April and was under the impression it can be quite

cool that time of year. I may bring one pair of shorts but that would be

for the room. I was planning to wear cotton "Utility Pants" for daytime

touring. They are from Chico's and are very comfy. I will check the

weather about a week before I leave. I also have some cotton capri's

that are easy to pack. Oh, I will probably pack a pair of jeans as well.

Evenings? Slacks that are poly/jersey material with some nice tops.

And a skirt or 2 as well.

I don't own any Skecher's and don't plan on buying them for this trip

either. No support? Last time I went to Europe was 2012 and I learned

the hard way, shoes (comfy ones AND socks) for me are a definite

necessity. I had issues in Rome and ended up with a blister:( and

thankfully, I had good shoes to replace the sandals that did not work

for me.

Edited by Lois R

I am going in early April and was under the impression it can be quite

cool that time of year. I may bring one pair of shorts but that would be

for the room. I was planning to wear cotton "Utility Pants" for daytime

touring. They are from Chico's and are very comfy. I will check the

weather about a week before I leave. I also have some cotton capri's

that are easy to pack.

I cannot imagine it will be warm enough for capris unless there is an unprecedented heatwave. I wore cords and leggings for our mid April tulip cruise and an all weather coat with zip out lining - which remained zipped in.:)

This might be handy for you to reference as you prepare: http://www.dutchamsterdam.nl/1386-amsterdam-weather-in-april