How do you carry off the ship necessities?

dorisdvu

Well, I just learned something today.....a big thanks to all that replied.:D

I was not aware that the ship would obtain your passport from your safe and automatically give it to ships local port agent for you after the ship has sailed.....good to know :p

We are aware that passports are a hotly sought after item, and have always done our best to make sure they stay with us (barring any unforeseen strip search by robbers :eek:).

Thanks again.......

We never carry our passport off the ship. We carry a copy with the phone number for the port agent on it. I carry a cross body, lightweight purse. Right now, I'm into Baggelini because they are so lightweight. I have a silk bag (by Coach) that zips into itself into the tiniest thing ever,which easily fits inside the Baggelini purse. I unzip it and use it as a shopping bag in some ports. Others, it gets used for the beach towels, sunscreen, antiseptic wipes, Kleenex in a baggie, etc. We buy bottled water in the ports. I have carried this silk tote bag everywhere in Europe and the Caribbean. It even has a little zipper where I put coins in it for the bathrooms, since in some countries you have to pay to use the restroom. It can be used as a crossbody too so when I need the silk bag, I put the purse in it. You would not believe how much this tiny bag will carry.

For some land excursions you may need your passport. Just today, I was reading about the White Pass scenic railway tours in Skagway, Alaska. It is stated very clearly that everyone will need their passport, because you cross into Canada for a brief period if time.

Several thoughts:

- No, you don't need any type of special bag for your island stops. When we cruise, I always use a medium-sized tote bag as my carry-on. My husband always brings a day pack. If we're visiting a beach, we use my tote bag for beach towels and sunscreen. If we're doing a land-based excursion, we use his day pack.

- I agree with the posters who urge you to pare down what you're bringing. Keep your money and ship ID on your person (preferably divided between spouses in case of pick pockets, which are a very real threat). You'll only be off the ship for a few hours. Don't weigh yourself down with too much stuff; for example, you can buy bottled water everywhere -- and it'll be cold!

- No, don't take your passport ashore. You have all but complete control over whether you get back to the ship on time (never cut it close, wear a watch, always have money for a taxi), but you have no control over whether a pick pocket chooses you as his next victim -- and those people are good at what they do; you'll never know a thing 'til you reboard the ship, and what will you do then? It's also quite easy to lose a passport in a single moment of carelessness -- like when my friend organized her shopping bags during a taxi ride and didn't realize that her passport was left in the taxi.

Fanny pack, under your shirt in front. Copy of Passport and DR lisc and 1 bank card that requires a pin. A little cash too. "People!", lock your valuables up and protect them. Pickpockets are Rampant in most of this world and in Italy children do it and the police won't touch them. A copy of your passport will work in any Embassy in the world. Ask the Embassy. I have been in 22 countries and some more than once. This is typical around the world http://reidsitaly.com/planning/safety/pickpockets.html

Edited by WupperAV