luggage locks

cbbandit

There is no perfect answer. We've had TSA use bolt cutters, they simply didn't bother using the master key. Mostly I now use zip ties, and I carry nail clippers in my carry-on. In Africa we had the checked bags cling wrapped. The bags got all the way home without the wrap being disturbed. Some hotels will even have a cling wrap machine to use pre-airport.

The question comes to prioritizing your concerns and deciding how far to go to minimize risks.

Is your highest priority to prevent theft? Then use bags without a zipper and lock them or wrap them.

Is it the bag coming open and spilling contents through the handling process? Zip ties are usually sufficient. It's an option to back them up with luggage straps or wraps.

Is it some nefarious person putting contraband into your luggage? Not much you do if you put bags outside your cruise cabin the night before disembarkation.

Actually, my major luggage security concern is locking my carry-ons, especially on overnight flights. I see more and more reports of computers, wallets, etc. being pilfered while most people are asleep. The victims don't even notice the theft until after exiting the aircraft.

There is no perfect answer. We've had TSA use bolt cutters, they simply didn't bother using the master key. Mostly I now use zip ties, and I carry nail clippers in my carry-on. In Africa we had the checked bags cling wrapped. The bags got all the way home without the wrap being disturbed. Some hotels will even have a cling wrap machine to use pre-airport.

The question comes to prioritizing your concerns and deciding how far to go to minimize risks.

Is your highest priority to prevent theft? Then use bags without a zipper and lock them or wrap them.

Is it the bag coming open and spilling contents through the handling process? Zip ties are usually sufficient. It's an option to back them up with luggage straps or wraps.

Is it some nefarious person putting contraband into your luggage? Not much you do if you put bags outside your cruise cabin the night before disembarkation.

Actually, my major luggage security concern is locking my carry-ons, especially on overnight flights. I see more and more reports of computers, wallets, etc. being pilfered while most people are asleep. The victims don't even notice the theft until after exiting the aircraft.

How did you know TSA used a bolt cutter? Did they put the cut lock in your bag with the note?

I use TSA locks with mini zip ties. I don't use the zip ties for security but more to let me know if someone (like a baggage handler) opened the TSA lock to get inside. I'm sure some have those keys as well even if not supposed to.

You wouldn't know if they did until you find your stuff gone.

I use TSA locks with mini zip ties. I don't use the zip ties for security but more to let me know if someone (like a baggage handler) opened the TSA lock to get inside. I'm sure some have those keys as well even if not supposed to.

You never know if some baggage handler might get the urge to try on your underwear. :eek::D

We use KEYED Master locks...not TSA and certainly not zip-ties!!! It's not a law that you have to use TSA locks....

I don't want ANYONE, even TSA, going thru my bags without me knowing. If a lock is cut off then I KNOW someone has been in my stuff.

We use KEYED Master locks...not TSA and certainly not zip-ties!!! It's not a law that you have to use TSA locks....

I don't want ANYONE, even TSA, going thru my bags without me knowing. If a lock is cut off then I KNOW someone has been in my stuff.

That is not true. If you only have a lock or zip tie through the zipper pulls someone could easily breach your contents by poking a sharp object through your zipper. Because your luggage zippers are self aligning all you have to do is run the zipper over the breached area and you will never know your bag was entered. If you use zip ties in this manner someone has to cut the zip tie to open or cover their tracks. When you retrieve your luggage and a zip tie is missing you will know right away someone has been in it.

Shak

d76693a1-1b56-439b-ae59-ea85c09e24c2_zps7b5fa4b7.jpg

Bought 4 TSA locks and when we retrieved our luggage after a flight from Barcelona, 1 lock was missing and the other had been mangled by a bolt cutter and left hanging Both had notes inside saying our 2 bags had been checked. We just don't lock them anymore.

not sure how to post or reply, but i thought i would jump in and ask a question.

i can't figure out a beach in Jamaica so has anyone been to the jewel beach and water park?

Repost this on the "Ports of Call" board, under "Jamaica".

• 4 months later...

It seems the majority on this thread lock their cases with TSA locks and/or zip ties. We use TSA locks and assume that other customs officials, other than US ones, can also open them. However on our recent Fred Olsen cruise we were instructed by the disembarkation information NOT to lock our cases, to facilitate customs inspection. There was no evidence that UK customs had requested this, and that it wasn't just a whim of the cruise line. The worst part was that in the next sentance they disclaimed responsility for any loss. Now I don't know about international law, but under British law, a contract condition has to be reasonable to be enforceable. It is unreasonable to deny a person the right to protect their property from theft by locking their luggage, and at the same time deny all resposibility, since the luggage is in their sole care from being left outside the cabin and being off loaded at the dock. Moreover this requirement is not specified in the contract (a copy of which they provide) and therefore it can, I would think, be ignored.

We did see many cases that were locked with padlocks and customs did not complain. They have the ability to scan cases and the power to hold back any they think suspicious and require you to open them in their presence. So I don't see that this requirement from Fred Olsen is sensible, reasonable or enforceable.

Does anyone have any similar experience?

We have also had TSA locks cut off and put in the case with a note, but we still use them.

How did you know TSA used a bolt cutter? Did they put the cut lock in your bag with the note?

2 of our 4 TSA locks were missing or broken on our last international flight. There was a note inside only one of the suitcases, the one with the missing lock.

We use TSA locks and assume that other customs officials, other than US ones, can also open them...

We have also had TSA locks cut off...

TSA = Transportation Security Administration. It is an agency of the US Department of Homeland Security. Why would TSA release master keys to TSA approved locks to the customs enforcement agencies of other nations? Really can't see that happening. It's a much more likely assumption that other customs officials do not have master keys.

Like you, we have had TSA approved locks cut off by TSA. I imagine it goes something like this:

"Gotta open this bag. Where's the key?"

"Fred had it last."

"Where's Fred?"

"On a break. Out for a smoke."

"Oh, man. Gimme the bolt cutter."

This TSA blog (yes, someone has a government job to blog for TSA), describes how locks can be ripped off bags by conveyor belts. A missing lock is not always by official inspection or by the act of thieves.

If any cruise line advised putting unlocked cases outside the door for collection I would ignore the instruction and secure them. Our experience has always been that the cruise line instruction is to secure the cases.

TSA = Transportation Security Administration. It is an agency of the US Department of Homeland Security. Why would TSA release master keys to TSA approved locks to the customs enforcement agencies of other nations? Really can't see that happening. It's a much more likely assumption that other customs officials do not have master keys.

When we got home from Hawaii, we found a note in one of our suitcases advising us it was opened by: "Department of Agriculture, Hawaii".

We used TSA locks.

When we got home from Hawaii, we found a note in one of our suitcases advising us it was opened by: "Department of Agriculture, Hawaii".

We used TSA locks.

Hawaii, as far as I know, is still a part of the United States. Guess the bureaucrats of the two agencies, one a state agency and one a federal agency, share the master key. That's a good thing - cooperation between state and federal agencies.

Why would TSA release master keys to TSA approved locks to the customs enforcement agencies of other nations? Really can't see that happening.

Customs officials don't need to beg for a key from TSA. These locks are not secure and are trivial to open. You can get information on how to print a key on the internet. Any locksmith could make you a key. They can be opened with a paper clip. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49506028&postcount=17 These locks are only a deterrent to petty pilfering, they are not a security device.

Any form of [luggage] lock only keeps honest people from stealing your things - not a thief. Don't check valuables.

I've often wondered why some people lock their convertable when its top is down? I guess that locking it must keep crooks from stealing it.

We simply assume that our luggage is like an open door....and plan accordingly. If your luggage has zippers it can easily be breached in seconds....without even touching the lock. But there will be evidence that your luggage was tampered with...and perhaps that is the point. We use zipties for the same reason....if they are cut them we know that somebody has looked inside our luggage. This actually is important...not so much for theft as us just knowing that somebody has been inside. On some international trips we are more concerned with somebody putting something inside our luggage (such as drugs or other contraband) then having something stolen.

The best prevention for stealing is simply having good insurance! Nothing else is going to work. TSA locks are essentially useless as any thief can open those faster then a TSA agent (you can even purchase TSA master keys online). Of course you could spend a lot of money buying very secure hard-sided luggage with excellent locks and no zippers. But then a thief might be forced to either steal your bag...or jimmy it open (only takes seconds) causing hundreds of dollars damage to your luggage.

And we would finally point out that we actually think zipties are better then TSA locks. A TSA lock can be opened and refastened in seconds....leaving no external evidence of tampering. But the odds of somebody having the exact size and color ziptie as on your bad is minimal. So, for example, when we travel we can quickly check our luggage, at every step of travel, to see if it has been opened. So, for example, if we fly to Florida with our luggage secured with zip ties...we will notice if has been opened by TSA (or anyone else) when we retrieve the luggage at the airport. When we turn it over to a Longshoreman (secure with zip ties) we will know if the luggage has been opened somewhere between checking it...and when it gets to our cabin. Knowing where the breach occurred (airport, hotel, port, etc) and can help fix blame. Since a TSA lock is easily opened by anyone with a Master Key (easily obtained) and relocked...you have no clue as to where this happened.

Hank

Sorry everyone but it is much too late to answer this question! They cruised last May!- not next May! Guess no one looks to see when this this was posted, only read the question.

The original question was answered but the thread is still here and is about luggage locks. A new question was asked in http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=50833689#post50833689, but I guess people just add comments at the bottom without reading the thread.