luggage locks

cbbandit

Hi, I need some suggestions on luggage locks. Are regular tsa locks recommended or can you use zip ties? Thanks for the help, we are cruising for the first time on the Summit in May

If your luggage uses zippers to close any lock is worthless.:)

If not then use the TSA approved lock, a Zip won't stop anyone.

We use TSA locks.

Can someone break them? Yes.

But I believe they are less likely to cut them then a tie or doing nothing.

Have put them on for many years and never had problems. And TSA has opened them a few times.

Keith

Actually, Zip ties are probably more secure than the TSA locks, but neither will stop someone who wants in your luggage.

Advantage to a TSA lock is that they can be opened by TSA and then resecured. The Zip Ties are one use only.

A thief can easily open either, by-pass either, or just walk away with your suitcase. (Main reason to hand-carry your valuables).

We are fortunate that we don't have to fly, we are able to drive to the port. I just didn't know what was allowed by the cruise ship. So I purchased the locks. At least I can reuse them over again, and don't have to take nippers to cut the ties

I can open a TSA lock in about 10 seconds with a PAPER CLIP. There is ONE key to open all of them. To open a zip tie you need a cutter. TSA locks are a joke. Cutters much more likely to be picked up when the screeners get screened. Again why put anything of value in your checked luggage. Stupid thing to do. Electronics, jewelry etc. Keep em with you.

I can open a TSA lock in about 10 seconds with a PAPER CLIP. There is ONE key to open all of them. To open a zip tie you need a cutter. TSA locks are a joke. Cutters much more likely to be picked up when the screeners get screened. Again why put anything of value in your checked luggage. Stupid thing to do. Electronics, jewelry etc. Keep em with you.

We don't put valuable items in our carry on.

However, things add up. So someone might put gifts in their checked luggage. It's not that they are so expensive but would just be a drag if they were taken.

I can open a zip tie with a pocket knife or a scissor.

We will continue to use our TSA locks. Never had a problem with them.

Have not heard of the typical person opening a TSA lock as you do. But I think just about anyone can open a zip tie. I know I can.

Keith

I never, ever put anything of value in my checked luggage, but I still lock it. I don't want anyone to be tempted by an unlocked bag and go through all my things regardless.

We don't put valuable items in our carry on.

However, things add up. So someone might put gifts in their checked luggage. It's not that they are so expensive but would just be a drag if they were taken.

I can open a zip tie with a pocket knife or a scissor.

We will continue to use our TSA locks. Never had a problem with them.

Have not heard of the typical person opening a TSA lock as you do. But I think just about anyone can open a zip tie. I know I can.

Keith

Agree. Anything remotely sharp can cut a zip tie.

I never, ever put anything of value in my checked luggage, but I still lock it. I don't want anyone to be tempted by an unlocked bag and go through all my things regardless.

Agree. TSA agents are bad enough!

If you go on a tour of China, you will need luggage locks, if you are flying inter-city in China.

Our Vantage program manager provided us with the small locks (that normally come with luggage), that we don't use in the US because of TSA.

If you use a lock that TSA cannot open, they will call you back to unlock it even if you are already through security. I've heard the pages many times.

Call you back? Maybe it's a regional or airport specific thing but the international travel experiences of which I am aware (mostly out of SFO) find TSA cutting off offending locks w/o alerting passengers beforehand and providing a process whereby you can submit a claim for reimbursement after the incident/travel.