Non-Drowsy vs Less-Drowsy Bonine

L&J

Do both of these exist? I've only been able to find Less Drowsy Bonine and I don't want it to make me sleepy. I suppose I could just take it at bedtime, but will likely have some alcohol in my system.

Where are you finding the NON drowsy version?

Thanks

Bonine doesn't come in a non-drowsy formula, only less drowsy than Dramamine. As per Bonine's web site....... Products.

My dh and daughter suffer with motion sickness. The first day my dh took Bonine as a precaution. The next day our daughter was feeling a little queasy and took one as well. It did not make either one sleepy.

Bonine is a brand name.

The ingredient used in it is called Meclazine.

You can buy Meclazine in its generic form without paying for the brand name.

It is the SAME ingredient found in the NON drowsy Dramamine II.

They are all the same product-Meclazine.

In fact Meclazine is what the ship would give you if you didn't bring your own meds and you got seasick on board.

I use it even when I've had a drink or 2 but everyone will react to it differently. I take one a day but DH needs one in the AM and one in the PM.

I take Bonine every night of our cruise (begin the night before). I drink, too, but not overly if you know what I mean....and the Bonine taken at bedtime keeps me from the queasies all day long. It might make one a tad drowsy (not during the day for me, though), but all I know is that I sleep very well on my cruises!

Edited by Florings

I take Bonine every night of our cruise (begin the night before). I drink, too, but not overly if you know what I mean....and the Bonine taken at bedtime keeps me from the queasies all day long. It might make one a tad drowsy (not during the day for me, though), but all I know is that I sleep very well on my cruises!

I do this as well and get Cheers and drink a fair amount (I don't get trashed or anything, and I don't notice that the Bonine makes me any more susceptible to drunkenness and I think it actually helps with hangovers too but that's only a theory).

I don't get sleepy until the normal time I'd be sleepy or if physically exerted (one time I did get super sleepy after a very active 8 hour excursion and need a nap, but I don't think it was the Bonine).

Dramamine knocks me out but Bonine seems pretty non drowsy.

I also use a generic form of meclizine. I found it at a local pharmacy marketed as travel relief - 100 pills for about $5. Same thing as non-drowsy Dramamine that's around $6 for 8 or 9 pills.

I actually start taking it the day before cruising to get it in my system. I then take one pill daily and only take more if needed. I have found that it actually helps when you overindulge in adult beverages.

Edited by suzycruiser2

For those of you who take ginger, what is the dosage?

How much ginger do you take?

How many capsules and how do you decide the amount???

I have never tried it because I never know how much will work for me and I don't want to take a chance on getting sick.

Just to be clear :

Bonine and Dramamine II and Meclazine/generic are all the exact same medicine.

Edited by riffatsea

My kids don't like Dramamine at all, they get really wiped out feeling and they still get sick. But they can take Bonine or the generic without getting tired at all and they don't get sick when they take it. Sea bands (bands that fit on your wrists and put pressure on acupressure points) also work well for us. I get extremely car sick on one road that goes to the kids favorite theme park, so much so I can't even drive it without stopping to get sick on the side of the road. The sea bands give me enough relief to make it most of the time. Sometimes I have to put a big of extra pressure on them but they usually do the job.

Thanks everyone! It'll be our 6th cruise and I've never had a problem with cruising...but we're heading to Universal for a week as soon as we disembark the ship. I was fine on Disney rides but now my kids are tweens and are interested in the big upside-down coasters and motion rides, which I've never done! I'm already anxious about feeling yucky after the first ride and I don't want to ruin the day.

It's hard to try it ahead of time because I'm not really doing anything that would make me queasy when I'm at home.

Bonine is brilliant at keeping sea sickness away completely (and I get sick on any boat or ship). It definitely makes me a bit drowsy though, so I take half a tablet a day and that's much better. I definitely can't drink with it though or I would be a zombie. Toss up between seasickness and a few drinks, I'd forego the drinks in a flash, but that's me.

For those of you who take ginger, what is the dosage?

How much ginger do you take?

How many capsules and how do you decide the amount???

I have never tried it because I never know how much will work for me and I don't want to take a chance on getting sick.

Just to be clear :

Bonine and Dramamine II and Meclazine/generic are all the exact same medicine.

I take ginger as well since I have a bad reaction to Meclazine. I buy the ginger root capsules at Walmart, they only come in one dosage there, not sure what it is. I take one a day at dinner time starting the day before. My husband takes the same amount as has never had an issue. The bottle suggests 1-2 per day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app